any ideas for hangover cures?????????

Travel discussion for St. John
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Vicki........don't forget the PB&J sandwiches and glass of milk. (I'm lactose intolerate, so I'll skip the milk) I can't believe I just admitted that. :oops:
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Cypress- I'll probably be pretty hungry after the skinny dipping, so the PB&J will likely hit the spot! Thanks for that tip, CptnKirk! :D

I'm almost looking FORWARD to my next hangover....
onislandtime

Post by onislandtime »

Five, White Castle's, onion rings, vanilla shake
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

onislandtime wrote:Five, White Castle's, onion rings, vanilla shake
hahahahahaaaa ... only 5???
brenda

Re: ADH

Post by brenda »

SoggyDog wrote:Okay...(and I'm hesitant to expose the nerd in me)...ADH CAN be replaced/supplemented directly. Named vasopressin or DDAVP (desmopressin is the generic), it can be administered through nasal spray, tablet, or injection. Never had to use it personally, but my youngest daughter does.

Not sure how it'd work for hangovers, however!

My regimen is water before bed, rum after...and I'm good as gold.

48 hours and we'll be on our way!

Dave.
You are right that it can be replaced these ways. It was just more detail than I wanted to get into on a travel forum. A more accurate statement should have been that it is not a hormone to tamper with unless one has a medical condition that warrents it.
Going "home" again October 26th!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Vicki, OMG! That was sooo funny! Between you and Ruth today, you both picked up my mood and had me smiling and laughing.

Wait a minute though, how'd I miss the "HUNG" part?! Thanks!
nola girl

Post by nola girl »

I am currently trying some of these suggested remedies - one too many Cosmopolitans last night. Usually drinking a lot of water before going to bed or during the night does it for me but it didn't help this time. The greasy food for breakfast hasn't helped either - can't remember the last time I had a Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit from McDonalds! I am currently trying the BBQ Chips and Gatorade cure - wish I had a beach to go with it. So far that seems to be helping. I am going to go home and take a nap at lunchtime.
Genral

Post by Genral »

My doc told me that we get hangovers becasue the alcohol forms mild toxins in the blood, much like from the flu virus. Said that we can't do too much about that besides drinking pleanty of fluids - water preferable as it doesn't stress the liver, which is already busy trying to get rid of the toxins. Hot, spicey foods may help as the capsaicin is supposed to be a very strong anti-oxident. I believe 'Chaser' is just capsules of activated charcoal. I doubt that anything that stays in the stomach and intestines can do much about cleaning blood toxins... Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

http://biology.about.com/library/weekly ... 4b.htm?p=1

For your reading enjoyment!
All I know is that they hurt WAY more than they used to!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Good link. I knew that the liver breaks down ethanol to acetaldehyde via dehydrogenase (question on the Beer Judge Certification Exam), but I did not know that dehydrogenase gets rapidly exhausted and cysteine supplements can help further break down the acetaldehyde. I'll have to experiment!

Feed the liver!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

There's an exam to be a Beer Judge?????? Rick, you are too advanced for me. :lol:
RickG

Post by RickG »

cypressgirl wrote:There's an exam to be a Beer Judge?????? Rick, you are too advanced for me. :lol:
Start your studying at www.bjcp.org. There's a lot to learn, but the studying is fun!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

RickG wrote:
cypressgirl wrote:There's an exam to be a Beer Judge?????? Rick, you are too advanced for me. :lol:
Start your studying at www.bjcp.org. There's a lot to learn, but the studying is fun!

Cheers, RickG
First I have to learn to love beer. There is so much alchol I love more than beer, I don't think I need one more bad habit. :lol: Gray Goose, Crown Royal, Cruzan Rum, and of course, all the really good wines I love so much. But I guess I can TRY to work it in.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Bumping this up for Lulu...this was a fun thread!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I can't believe no one mentioned my tried-and-true remedy.

One night last December after shots of Cruzan followed by buckets of corona, I am pretty sure I died. Or something inside me died. Anyhow, I was sicker than I'd ever been and felt like I'd been hit by a truck.

I went to Rite-Aid (wearing sunglasses inside) and after laughing profusely at me, the pharmacist hooked me up.

Alka seltzer has a hangover medicine. It's called Alka Seltzer morning relief. It has aspirin, caffeine and other good things that people with hangovers need. It also has a web site. http://www.alka-seltzer.com/asmr/introducing.htm

This stuff is great. I just get it, a bottle of gatorade and either a breakfast burrito or a cheeseburger and I am good to go.

I will warn you however, sometimes the bubbliness does make you throw up, but sometimes with a hangover that's all you needed to do and you feel good as gold afterward.