Snorkel Fins

Travel discussion for St. John
cocosmom

Re: Snorkel Fins

Post by cocosmom »

Someone else mentioned cutting the long ones. Both my girls were competitive swimmers and they all cut them. It does make you work harder but pretty sure you are not swimming lap after lap and you won't notice it. Less chance of hitting things and just easier to walk in.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

My question about the short fins is does is have any effect on the strain on your knees? I have a severe knee problem and my old long scuba fins can cause increased pain the day after we snorkel. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

ERL, I would think it would be easier on your knee. When I said the short ones make you work harder I mean you will kick more to go farther due to less resistance. I would think less resistance would be easier on the knee? That may depend on the injury I guess. Does kicking without hurt your knee? Short fins are a step up in helping you move but a step down from the long ones. May be worth the try since the long ones aren't working for you.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

EagleRayLover wrote:My question about the short fins is does is have any effect on the strain on your knees? I have a severe knee problem and my old long scuba fins can cause increased pain the day after we snorkel. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Leslie,
I couldn't tell any difference with them as far as my knee goes and it gives me a fit about everyday here...and unless one is power swimming instead of just snorkeling along..I dont think there would be any difference, granted I'm not much on diving down..thats hubby's job...but he didn't have any problems. BTW, The first time we used them was when we you and Steve went with us, the day John lost his wallet... :roll:
[/url]
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

I have actually done some diving down, but if I don't weight, I pop right back up... fat floats! :lol:
psufan

Post by psufan »

Reporting back. I love the short fins. I ordered the ones recommended by Ruby of Cap'n Dan and Ruby. For snorkeling I find they are just fine. I haven't seen a noticeable difference in maneuverability or power. Snorkeled Francies, Little Lameshur, and Trunk so far. They packed so much easier than my regular fins. I am really glad I got them. Thanks for the recommendation!

PS for those on your way down here, the weather has been spectacular. A little bit of Saharan dust but not awful. Humidity isn't too bad and the Trade Winds are steady. Very pleasant.