Snorkel Fins

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

Snorkel Fins

Post by psufan »

I have been debating purchasing a pair of those short swim fins for snorkeling instead of the larger ones I currently have. I just think they would be easier to pack because they take up much less space. Will I notice a big difference in performance? Any recommendations? I am undecided right now. I have been very happy with my current fins but every time I go to pack them I wish they were smaller especially when doing carry-on only.
PA Girl

Re: Snorkel Fins

Post by PA Girl »

We replaced our full size fins with short ones two years ago. We do shorter but frequent close to the beach snorkels and I dont notice a difference.
J&M

Post by J&M »

Are you aware of any place that rents the short fins?
chigirl

Post by chigirl »

We left our fins at home this last trip since we did carry on only. We were going to rent, but for almost the same price we could buy. We went with the shorter, I'd say medium fins. While comfortable, we couldn't really get to the bottom like we can with the long fins. If you have a choice, I would check yours.

I think Cruz Bay Watersports rented the shorts, but for a few bucks more you can buy new ones.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

The short fins are really designed as exercise fins, so in some ways, you will work harder with them. My son got some so they would be easier to pack and decided that they weren't as good as "regular" ones.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I have used both and not really noticed a difference. I am a runner and a fairly strong swimmer so maybe that is why. We go pretty far out though. If it makes a difference in packing or having to check a bag, I would definitely use them.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

We just cut our fins off to make them shorter and they work great.
Beach Creecher
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I love my short fins! :D
Image[/url]
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We used to use our long heavy fins that we wear with booties, but replaced them with "medium size" fins. Our current fins are the split type, 21 inches long (including the rubber foot part) and 7.5 inches wide. (I included the measurements because I wasn't quite sure what everyone meant by the short fins.) We have found these split fins to be a good compromise from the long ones. We tend to swim a long ways, and we like to dive down to get a better look at the sights. These fins are not as powerful as the long ones, but definitely are fine for our purposes. They are much easier to pack than the long ones.

We have used the short, full foot fins that they have on charter boats and were not happy with them. No power for getting down, if you like to dive down and get closer to things. If you do short snorkels and don't swim very far out, the short ones should be fine.
psufan

Post by psufan »

Thanks all for your input. I think I will stick with my current fins. If I could find a place that rents the short swim fins I might be tempted to give them a try just to see if I like them. I hate to spend the money on the shorter fins only to find out on vacation that I don't like them. My vacation is just around the corner!!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We didn't pack our fins last trip just thought we would rent because we were doing back packs only...we went to Cruz Bay water sports and ended up buying the shorter ones because it would have only been about 5 bucks difference to rent them...they packed very easy and I really couldn't tell a difference as far as getting around versus the longer ones...I love them...easy to pack. I doubt I will ever bring my longer ones back on a trip..:)
[/url]
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Love the short ones!!!! you can order on line. We buy them on line. http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Shredd ... B000EOVA4W :D
The2ofus

Post by The2ofus »

I use shorties and Teresa uses the long ones. I like my short fins and they seem to perform well for me. They are definitely less work, I can really tell the difference if I use hers.
psufan

Post by psufan »

Well I have decided to give them a try. I ordered the ones that Capt Dan and Ruby recommended. If I don't like them while on vacation I will just rent. I am not inclined to dive down when I snorkel. For the most part we just take our time and observe so I think it is worth a try. I will report back and let everyone know how the experiment turned out.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Those are the ones we have. We are surface snorkelers as well but I could see why the larger fins would be better for swimming down.