Channelling Sally O'Malley: Want to give me ideas for 50?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Learn to count to 10 in ten languages (ones you already know don't count)!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Memorize an entire favorite poem, a good long one, or a Shakespeare soliloquy. This is a good thing to work on while you're on long runs; I used to memorize a little bit more each time and recite what I'd learned over and over during my runs.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Just one more, and I'll shut up, I promise! :lol:

If you're not a baker (I'm not), bake a beautiful-looking and delicious loaf of bread using this recipe: http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-b ... sited.html
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

These ideas are so great, thank you all!

Marcia I've looked into the Harold Washington library for company events, but never actually been there. That's a good one and so are all the others!

I'm overdue for a blog update but have been knocked out all day with a migraine... update soon come.
loria

Post by loria »

Katie, i am trying ti figure out appropriate things for your 50th.... hmmmmmmm-- what are your dates on STJ? I know you are there for the 8 tuff......we miss you guys-- we were just talking about our christmas trip with you guys.... good times!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

Hi Katie -

I also read your blog and I also just turned 50 (whew!). I love your idea of doing new things, my biggest goal for my 50's was to travel as much as possible and experience every day with as much love, laughter and fun as possible. Congratulations on running 8 Tuff Miles, I have always aspired to it but have never had the nerve! We are heading to St. John July 1 so we will miss you but have a great time!

For my 50th I wanted to A) conquer scuba diving since I had a bad experience a few years back, so I finally did it thanks to Low Key Watersports in Cruz Bay! On my actual 50th I wanted to greet the sunrise on top of Mt. Haleakala on Maui, a lifelong dream, and I did it! Made me feel like a kid again.

Sending positive thoughts to your DH, it can't be easy for any of you, I wish him all the best.

~Tracie in Michigan
[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Lark: loving all the ideas! The memorizing idea is especially intriguing. Gotta work those brain cells too. Thank you!

Thanks Tracie and happy 50th! I bet seeing the sunrise from Mt. Haleakala was an amazing experience. We went to Maui about 5 years ago but didn't make it to Haleakala. (I considered doing the bike ride but our kids were 8 and 10 so we skipped that.) Scuba is a great idea too. I love the water but have never gone diving. I'd actually love to get my whole family certified one of these days/years.

Lori: I'll be there 2/21 to 2/28 (Tuesday-Tuesday to accommodate the race.) Any chance you can come down? I would love to see you! We reminisce about the fun times we had with you and your family on our last trip.
loria

Post by loria »

i would LOVE to, but cannot... i was thinking that if you would be there the first week of march that you could hike rams head near the full moon! when is your 50th anyway??????
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Have a couples massage, go to the symphony, go to the opera, get a personalized license plate, go to the Thanksgiving Day parade - just some of the things from my list!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Love all the ideas, thanks!

I'm currently putting together a team for the Chiditarod. I'm really excited about this! It's a takeoff on the Iditarod, but done with shopping carts. Teams collect food to donate to food pantries. Any Chicago are folks out there -- put together a team! Or come cheer us on and throw some cans of soup in our cart. Here's some info: http://www.chiditarod.org/
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I love this idea and I, too, turn 50 this year on June (while on STJ- thank you dear sweet hubby, Augie.) well have you blogged before because that certainly would be one for me! ( and you do it well!) before I forget - my hubby and son are doing Warrior Dash in March so we can tell you all about it! ( not me too many knee surgeries!)
Well several people have mentioned pretty big things - what about little thing, random things, and silly things!
Buy the next person's coffee, gas or food web in line for service.
Put a present on someone's desk and just watch the reaction but don't take credit.
Sing and dance in the rain.
Skinny dip.
Buy a can of dog/ cat food every trip to market and take it to local shelter once a month
Get a new special needs friend - adult or kid to do things with - they will yeah you a lot about yourself.
Volunteer to hold babies in a nursery.
Volunteer at a zoo.
Eat dessert first.

And of course my most recent favorite just because of Relay for Life- walk 18 non stop or charity !
Just some thy don't cost as much but mean tons!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Ps forgot to say have a wonderful birthday !
And I don't want anyone to think I'm down playing the suggestions that have a cost! I love and have done several and I have not done all on the list I provided! Just got me thinking of what I need to do this year!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting