Channelling Sally O'Malley: Want to give me ideas for 50?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
chicagoans

Channelling Sally O'Malley: Want to give me ideas for 50?

Post by chicagoans »

I decided not to be meek about turning 50 but instead celebrate it by trying 50 new things in one year. Because that's almost 1 thing/week, some will have to be small, and I'm looking for ideas.

I might double up on my upcoming trip to STJ: I know I'm counting 8 Tuff as one new thing, and if I make it to the Beach Bar that will be another since I've never been there. (Likewise, I'm trying to see if I can squeeze in a visit to JVD; that would also be a first for me.)

Anyway, if you have some fun ideas, you can see my list here: http://www.kickass50.com and use the comments function to post your ideas.

Thanks!

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

What an awesome idea! Here are a few thoughts, not sure what you have done

1. Take a ballroom dance lesson
2. See a professional Baseball, football, hockey, game
3. Try an ethnic food you have never had; ethiopian, cambodian, etc
4. dye your hair red or blonde or black
5. get a tattoo (maybe too much for some or maybe not?)
6. Hot air balloon ride
7. Helicopter ride

I will have to try and think of more
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Zip line !
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

That's a great blog.

Here are a couple of ideas:

While you are in STJ, scuba dive

While you are anywhere, sky dive

Most of all, enjoy all 365 days.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

When I turned 50 I started doing something new each year, not quite as ambitious as you! Some of the highlights were swimming with dolphins, getting tattoed with my children (Hubby is now the only person in the family without one!)going to a drag queen show and having my picture taken with some of the "girls", my first girl's trip to STJ (real girls, not drag queens), during my last trip I swam around the cays at Waterlemon AND Cinnamon....would have done more but the swells were up. Some of the other things weren't actually too memorable after the fact and some are "private" and not to be shared here. I still have ideas....like getting my ears pierced again to wearing more earrings since I learned how to make them. I do have to say that my 50's have been some of the best years of my life so you're in for a good time whatever you decide.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Love your blog! Happy 50th Birthday. I celebrated mine almost 2 years ago and have never looked back. I'm happy to have birthdays... it means I'm still alive and full of life! Enjoy every minute of your 50th year and beyond! Take nothing for granted! Life is so precious :)

I arrive on island the day of 8 Tuff... no, I won't be running it but I'd love to meet those of you that did!
~ Nancy
toni

Post by toni »

First off, congratulations and happy birthday to you :D

Nice blog too.

Since you're from the Chicago area, I suggest going to the Chicagoland speedway and doing the Richard petty driving experience. You can do just a ride around if you want. That will certainly jump start your adrenaline. I drove at las Vegas and while I was initially petrified, (because I was ??? you want me to fit my bIg body through that skinny race car window??? :shock: ) I can say now I drove a car at high speeds legally!

I second the helicopter thing too-did that in Hawaii over the na'pali coast and it was amazing (and slightly nauseous, but again, I did it!)

You can do little things or big things, just make them memorable and take pictures along the way.

Good luck!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks everyone -- great ideas!

I've been lucky enough to do some of these already (ziplining, helicopter, a few others) so I won't be counting on those to do as one of the 50. But some of the other ideas are very intriguing and I may be able to try those for the first time! Thank you!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I turned 50 last May last week it was shingles this week colonoscopi I can't take to much more of this fun :lol:
Tom
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

LOL at Tom! Great idea, and great blog, Chicagoans. Happy birthday!
I'm hitting it in just few weeks, and LOVE your idea. Now I'm going to go in search of ways to celebrate weekly.
Do you garden, or could you container garden enough to produce one meal that YOU GREW the whole thing?
Have you ever bought raw local nuts, roasted them, and found a way to incorporate them into a meal?
(Of course, I focus right on food, like the fatty I am...LOL)
Been to a nudist colony? :shock: That's fun and a challenge at the same time. PM me if you need to know "the rules." :wink:
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh, and lots of cities are having fine dining restaurants turn off all of the lights, and you eat in the absolute darkness. It's said to heighten certain senses so the experiece takes the meal to a whole new level. I bet you could find one nearby.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Happy 50! Have you tried paddle boarding? A new and different hairstyle?
I'll be following you....

Tom, I am hoping that your celebrating concludes with something really great! Happy 50 to you also!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Have you ever gone into the Chicago public library? My sister went in this last weekend and was blown away with the beauty of it. While she was there, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was practicing...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

If you don't know how to play any instruments, learn to play the ukulele!

Ukes are cheap and pretty easy to learn. I taught myself last year and though I'm not very good, I still have a ton of fun playing, and regularly go to my local uke meetup group here in Boston (here's a Chicago group: http://ukulele.meetup.com/cities/us/il/chicago/ ) I've found that uke players tend to be very welcoming and fun people who don't take themselves too seriously.

If you want, I can recommend a few entry-level instruments and some online resources.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Or something I've wanted to try: a silent weekend retreat? Here's one near Chicago: http://bellarminehall.org/