Spirit now charging for carry-on bags

Travel discussion for St. John
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

I might have too slightly agree. BUT from there you get to, he/she's too fat, too black, too multi lingual, too something.. what then? or is this only for flights???
catbat

Post by catbat »

When you buy a ticket on an airline, you pay for a certain amount of space. When an obese person cannot physically fit in the space they paid for, they have to take some of yours. It's not discrimination to be upset when someone takes away something you paid for! :?
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

The answer is simple. One carry on, one personal item. Your overhead bin corresponds with your seat number. When you buy the seat, you buy the bin. If they want to charge for that convenience, fine.

Airlines are the only industry that can legally bait and switch the customer. Just because you plan ahead and book a flight that is convenient does not mean you will get that flight in the end. Nor does it mean your checked luggage will make it to your destination and if you carry on, be sure it's too big to fit under the seat in front of you or else the flight attendants will not allow it to go overhead- even if it is your only carry on. :evil:
Connie

Post by Connie »

Someone on the news today said their new slogan will be "We're not happy, till you're not happy".
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

It's a good point that we have to be careful not to cross the line of being discriminatory or judgemental, I'm ok with that. In this case, being on an airline is not a civil right in my opinion. They don't have to let you on. I'm perfectly fine with full scanners at security, we should really have a national ID card also, don't let the suspects on the planes in my opinion, heck with it! :)

I guess this thread should have been in the off topic forum, but it is kinda fun. I know I'm judgemental in other areas, so have to control myself. I also hate paying more insurance to support unhealthy smokers, I don't like paying higher doctor bills so they can be insured against people who sue them with no limits on suits, I don't like people who throw their cigarette butts out car windows, and I also don't like people who sit in the highway left lane without passing people. its like I'm a democrat with republican frustrations. OMG, I'm out of control!!! Hey STJdreams, reel me in please!!!

JF
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

ok, I'm starting to sound very negative here and STJdreams may disown me...

things I like: People who say please and thank you, people who don't cut in line, local business owners trying to make it in a tough economy, people who don't speed on our dirt road, friendly flight crews who are doing their best, a burger at skinny legs after a long day beaching, waking up to the sunrise in STJ, .....hows that for a comeback STJdreams, you take me back??
onislandtime

Post by onislandtime »

When my wife told me about this yesterday my reply was, "we should either ship out cloth to STT or just take what we must have and buy the rest and donate the cloths to charity when we leave".
I agree that there is way to much being carried on and this needs to be policed better, and yes if you take up more than your " purchaced space" you should be charged for a second seat, or pay me for using my space :x
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

I think you need a vacation surfnh!! You will feel better once on island...with a rum drink in hand...
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Along with the drink I need an extra hand to get all my carry on's in the plane... :lol:

By the way, next layer of airline charges is coming, I wonder if they'll charge by weight?? ...no comment! Maybe they could charge by amount of time in the "lew"?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/07/ry ... tml?hpt=T2
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

I called the airline this morning to make sure we were NOT going to be charged that outrageous fee. We will travel before Aug 1 - so we're in the clear. I also told the customer service agent to be sure and let managmenet know that we were NEVER going to fly their airline again. I wonder how busy their switchboard was today! :twisted:
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Maybe they should only charge the obese people who fly the extra baggage charge. After all their clothes weigh more than all you size 0 folks who seem to be on this thread- or better yet maybe the obese folks could pay the thin folks for all their supreme sacrifices flying with the obese. Or perhaps there should just be a skinny folks only airline where folks fly free cause they are better than others- just an idea.
c3p1

Post by c3p1 »

Everyone has some valid points. I hope mine are just as valid.
There are already rules on the size of bags and what is allowed. Why can't those just be enforced?
Secondly, I am 6' 4" with a size 16 shoe I need that space under a seat to fit. I check luggage but I also carry a small backpack with camera mp3 player and a couple magazines so now I am going to lose foot space. And an already cramped space becomes even smaller. So do I need to pay extra because I have big feet and I am tall?
just where does it end?
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

c3p1 wrote:
Secondly, I am 6' 4" with a size 16 shoe I need that space under a seat to fit. So do I need to pay extra because I have big feet and I am tall?
just where does it end?
Well, if we follow the pay for size theory, yes you should. You do take up more space than the average person and should compensate the airlines for that. :roll: (please note the sarcasm)
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

I commisserate with you, wish I could spell that word....I'm 6'2", its tight for me also.

There's basically no way to be comfortable on these planes. US Air economy seats are ridiculously small. We really have to get into exit rows, or 1st class, in order to stretch our legs. United has Economy Plus seats, those are awesome....about 5" more space row to row I think, lots of leg room.

The airline's rate system is flawed basically. When we're flying through the air, a 100 lb person isn't equal to a 200 lb person. Smaller people support larger people in the rate system, just like healthy people support unhealthy people in the insurance system With health care, it's a moral issue. But with airlines, its a business issue.

I know I'd pay more personally, but eventually the airlines have to get to a point where everyone pays for their real usage. Real usage is measured in weight, and we see in the news daily that the airlines need to go in this direction.

kinda stinks, but I think this is the ultimate answer.
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

WOW....does this then get carried over to buses, trains, ferry boats, cruise ships & sailing vessels??? And what is average today? Maybe small, short, light weight people should pay LESS!!!! Devils advocate!