Spirit now charging for carry-on bags

Travel discussion for St. John
jmhouse

Spirit now charging for carry-on bags

Post by jmhouse »

I know a few people in here, including myself, use Spirit to get down to STT/STJ.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ ... 86761.blog
How much will checking a bag in Spirit's overhead bins cost you? Fliers that do not belong to the $9 Fare Club will have to pay up to $45 each way to put a bag in the airline's overhead storage bins if they don't declare their bags until they get to the gate. The fee drops to $30 for customers who "reserve" a spot before getting to the gate – either online or at a ticket counter. Members of the Fare Club pay $20. The carrier also charges for checked bags.

Basic carry-on items -- things like a purse or laptop bag -- can still be brought on for free, but only if they measure 16" by 14" by 12" and can fit underneath the seat in front of you. The carrier apparently will have new bag sizers at its gates to help enforce its policy

The carry-on fee will start no earlier than Aug. 1 and only on tickets purchased after April 5 as Spirit works to tweak its reservations systems for the change...
I got nervous when a friend sent this to me because I chose Spirit based on the low cost while being able to have a carry-on. Luckily it won't be enforced until after my trip. I wonder how much the base prices will be now without any baggage?
Matt
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I swear to god they are going to start charging to use the toilets next.

Don't know about you but I hate being nickel and dimed to death. On the other hand some folks prefer to pay for what they use.

I'm in the just give me one price and be done with it camp.

UGH!!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

Yeah I'm feeling the same way. It makes it a little harder to compare flight prices when you have to go research what fees you'll have to pay on top of the base ticket cost.
Matt
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am hooked on this podcast - The Crew Lounge http://upgrd.com/thecrewlounge/

Recently, they talked about wacky things the airlines are doing to make/save money costs. USAir removed most of their video systems. Another airline is keeping track of beverages and so on. Not so much for the actual cost savings of the product but for the weight savings when it comes to fuel.

Sprint might be doing the reverse, charging for the perceived weight of carry-on bags?
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

If only Southwest could fly to STT. They still treat me as an adult.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I'm with you gromit, just increase the fares and be done with it... stop trying to make it seem that you are still saving me money till I read all the fine print or get to the airport..

If the gate agents would just enforce the old carry-on luggage rules, there would be no problem,but we watch as families get on board with numerous (kids & adults)backpacks, carry-on bags, a few sm to med size bags (that used to be checked),and personal items and then take up all the bins to stow these. all to avoid paying the extra fees but is an added inconvenience to the other passengers as the line waits for all this stuff be stowed away, not to mention the possiblity of the plane being late taking off while flt attendants find room for all the "carry-ons"..

Theres got to be a happy medium to all this.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

We're flying Spirit in June. Glad this is taking effect after our trip. I suspect more people are getting wise to the carry-on-only approach to flying since the airlines have implemented the extra charges for checked luggage. I know we fly a helluva lot lighter than we used to everywhere we go. I have yet to pay for checked luggage. Spirit is just the first (that I know of now) to start charging for carry-on luggage. You can be sure other airlines will follow.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

surfnh

Post by surfnh »

beware,...rant begins..

well, as a frequent flyer, I have a different point of view. I have some sympathy for Spirit, because, lets face it, the airlines are in business to transport weight. The more weight they transport, the more gas they use and the more it costs them.

I'm very tired of having a 300 lb person sit next to me and think they should pay the same as I, when they are hanging over the seat and weigh considerably more. Likewise, many people bring too much carry on's, and use up more space than they should. When the airlines have to leave negative stuff like this up to the flight crew to police, then it will never be done right because the crew is being told on the other hand to be nice and polite, so everyone will fly on their airline again.....then we ask them to do something very unpleasant by policing people who are trying to squeeze the system to the last inch. They are being asked to perform non-complimentary tasks.

Bottom line, if the airlines have to transport weight, then lets make it black and white....everyone pays for what they personally weigh, and every bag is charged by weight. Then we get out of this mess and make it very clean for the airlines in my mind. Its inevitable that the airlines will go in this direction, its just a matter of time....maybe 1 year, maybe 10 years.

Well, the good ole days really were the good ole days, but we can never go back to what it was. The airlines all lose so much cash they can't afford to go backwards, no use complaining about it. I'd prefer that they find a system that's transparent, fair, and allows them to make a profit so they can succeed.

ok sorry....rant is over....
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

surfnh - Agree with your rant!

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Agreed++

I've flown down with a 400LB guy sitting next to me, pouring over the arm rest. He was reading a book about how to be a high school sports coach... I noticed because it was practically in front of me because he was almost on top of me.

I also saw someone with a linebacker-inside sized carry-on on one flight. Took a few people to help get it up in the overhead compartment, I suspect a living or dead body was inside, probably one of the 1989 Denver Broncos.

When I travel I have my backpack and 1 small carry-on that contains bare necessities in case our baggage gets lost, and my girlfriend carries her backpack.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Agreed too:
Ok...so we paid 1098.00 for 4 tickets on Spirit...then we bought seats...another 128.00 for seats total: 1230.00 not bad for 4 rnd trip tickets...we will probably check a bag.. so add another 38.00 so total will end up being 1268.00.( Could have been about 70.00 less but I bought tickets 2 seperate times) But still not bad, but when it gets to where I have to pay for a carry on..at 30.00 each...I'll be searching other airlines. I think they could at least put a limit on size as far as a carry on goes...as well as a weight limit. I too have seen bags being carried on that would very well hold a body...and you know people just do this to get out of having to pay extra to check it. Maybe a weight limit..of so many lbs. then you have to pay, if your over...you have to pay...or a limit of such and such size...if you are over then you have to pay..it sounds to me like everyone is to be punished and have to pay because of all the LARGE carryons...As far as obese people...if they imposed something like that..you know they would get the pants sued off them...Although I dont see why they cant limit the weight of the seats then make overweight people purchase the "Big Comfy Seats"...Elevators have limits...why cant plane seats?
[/url]
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

man! I booked spirit and I think I JUST will make it under this new rule. We are travelers that DO NOT take the massive freakin roller bags on for carry on. I do a small travel bag - THAT'S IT! And for a woman who is in charge of 4 other people - that's pretty darn good! I won't fly this airline again - Its better the devil you know.......I would like for my credit card to be charged ONCE for the flight - not 15 charges every little thing.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Now I really wonder if this actually pays off.... based on this NY Times article.
Joseph Pascarella, who has worked as a baggage handler in Tampa, Fla., for 37 years, said he had noticed the difference. “Before the bag fees, we would handle an average 250 bags on a flight. Now it’s closer to 150 to 175. People are also thinking twice about taking that extra bag.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/busin ... tml?src=me
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

At 5'2" and 118lbs....it all sounds VERY judgmental! Excuse me, just a thought!
Larry

Post by Larry »

STX lady wrote:At 5'2" and 118lbs....it all sounds VERY judgmental! Excuse me, just a thought!
Judgmental towards people who make the lives of their fellow passengers far less comfortable because they take up more than their designated space and intrude on the space of those near them? It also seems like a safety hazard.