Okay, I'm getting excited.

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks guys for all the advice. You're making me giggle with all the #2 talk :lol:

I think Vicki is threatening to eat beans at every meal for a week.

Which is fine as far as I'm concerned because I just plan on grinding up immodium and mixing it in with the sugar for her coffee.

Should be a good trip!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

But Syd-- EVERYBODY poops!

This is going to be one craptastic vacay! I'm going to spend the majority of my time on the poop deck....

http://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Poops-S ... 387&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Poop- ... 387&sr=8-2

TOTALLY changing the SUBJECT:

Anyone been to Prickly Pear? Worth the stop?
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I've been to Pricky Pear and once is enough. I'd rather go to Necker Island but don't have to connections or the budget for it.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Diana-- I was just thinking for a day stop. Any suggstions for that purpose?
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Gromit, do yourself a favor, listen to Scubagirl, take very little. You will be living in a bathing suit and cover ups. Plus storage space is at a premium.

Foot coverings. Many espouse barefoot. I have a problem with it. The antiskid surface on most decks rips up my feet. Consider something more closed up then flip flops, which imho are not a good idea. I wear Teva's on deck, not much toe protection but they lift you just high enough so I can avoid most of the worst stub toes from all the knobby bits that stick up above the deck. Most captains don't like you wearing shoes on deck you wear off the boat. Gets the pretty white deck all messy, so consider that in choice of foot wear. No boxes or paper bags from the supermarket in the boat, beware of coach roaches that way... sorry, I had to share.

Best advice already given, follow the captain's directions immediately and exactly. Do not think, just do.

Always carry a flash light when you leave the boat to go ashore, even if you " are sure" you will be back before night fall. I know this, but after a visit to The Bight at Norman Island and blindly trying to find our way back to the boat on a moonless night.

Finally HAVE A BLAST !
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Sailorgirl.. I KNOW ScubaGirl had to have PM'd you and told you to tell me NOT to overpack :lol: !!

Great advice!!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I've heard that it's bad form to yell at the bow bunny....so volunteer to hook the mooring balls BEFORE cocktail hour! We were on one of the beaches last year rolling in the sand laughing at some woman who dropped the mooring hook into the water. We could hear her husband/significant other/p.o.'d captain yelling all the way on the beach!!!
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We stopped off at Prickly Pear several years ago while we were on a weeks charter sailing the BVI. The captain dinghyed us (2 couples) in to a beach and dropped us off. I don't recall that we even had our snorkle gear. He just dropped us off there with some towels and beach chairs and told us 'to explore the island'. (I think he just wanted us off the boat for a couple of hours so he and his 'first mate' could have the boat to themselves if you know what I mean. :roll: ) I remember that there didn't seem to be any trails and the beach wasn't really very nice (kind of a pebble beach if my memory serves me). We swam and killed some time until we were picked back up and taken back to the boat for lunch. After lunch we snorkeled a reef between Prickly Pear and Necker Island. I don't remember much about what that reef was like. As I said, this was several years ago (maybe 13 or 14) and we were pretty new to the islands. Then we dinghyed in to the Bitter End Yacht Club and I remember that was a pretty cool place. We didn't stop in the North Sound at Saba Rock (I think that's the name if it). I would have liked to stop there rather than Prickly Pear.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Gromit wrote:Sailorgirl.. I KNOW ScubaGirl had to have PM'd you and told you to tell me NOT to overpack :lol: !!

Great advice!!
I'll never tell ;-)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Gromit, if you plan to buy any t-shirts along the way, make sure you leave space for them in your bags. I admit, I'm an over-achiever when it comes to buying t-shirts (I think I got at least 12!), but getting them all home was a bit challenging! Kellee sent a box of clothes home from Connections at the end of the week, which was real smart if you ask me!

Don't take too much, seriously! As others have said, you will live in your bathing suit with a t-shirt or cover-up. Shorts for shore excursions. I wore my bathing suit and shorts when we stopped at Cooper Island and Marina Cay. I would have felt out of place in anything else.

We had one huge rolling duffel and one average-sized one. It was too much. We tripped over that big duffel bag all week! I mean, literally tripped over it!

Everything you need to take can fit in a backpack. If I sail again, I won't take more than that, I swear! :lol:
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

I expect Scubagirl to show what she has learned from her pole dancing classes. Think my skilz were an inspiration. (Oh, don't believe her when she denies taking classes).

Gromit, don't take very much. I wore the same thing everyday. A Swimsuit and cover up. No shoes. You only need 1 pair of shoes and you won't need them very often. I wore the same coverup many, many days. I shipped a box home of crap I didn't wear. It will be the easiest vacation. You are going to love it!

Scuabgirl is way prepared. Don't worry about clothes pins...she's got those.

I took a headlamp and it worked great at night when I wanted to stay up late & read.

Vicki, I CAN NOT wait for your trip reports! I took my AT&T air card for my laptop. Sometimes I was roaming & sometimes I wasn't. Sometimes I could find wifi from other boats.

Vicki & Gromit, you are going to love it! I wish I was going!
California Girl

Oh, and watch out for "boat bites!" I had bruises everywhere and one poor toe was black & blue all week from whacking it on the doorway in and out of the salon. Pick up your feet when going through boat doorways, or OUCH!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Boat Bites are a B#%$ch. Once you get one, you wind up hitting it over and over. I ususally bang my shin on the compaionway going below and manage to hit it every time. Slow learner :-)

See Gromit, Scuba PM'd CG as well :-). But seriously Margo hit the nail on the head. The large bag will be underfoot all week and a real pain.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Sounds like LOTS of fantastic advice. I will look at my list and reassess before I commit to anything.

I was planningon bringing 1 pair of Keens and 1 pair of Flip Flops-- which would be a first for me. Of course I could see myself losing one shoe from each overboard and therefore being screwed for the rest of the trip and having to fly home barefoot since it's tough to find size 11's in most places. But that's OK!!

My plan is to bring one LL Bean duffle and one backpack as carry on. That's the plan anyway! I'm bringing a few things down with me so that shoul leave some room for any goodies I want to return home with!

One of the things that we're doing which I think is pretty fun is we're each bringing specialty food items from home. Represent!!

Of course V and I are lucking out because as it turns out some pretty great stuff comes from Canada!!
California Girl

Some REALLY GOOD stuff comes from Canada. Trust Syd... she's got stuff like gourmet coffee, cheese, smoked salmon and other awesome goodies! I swear we ate so great on that boat!! :D