Okay, I'm getting excited.

Travel discussion for St. John
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

I don't know, this might be silly advice to all you experienced vets but I know growing up sailing with my parents the one thing my Dad always said was to "Watch out for the boom when we are tacking" and he was right. You don't want to get hit in the head! That would suck! lol

Otherwise I think you are going to have a GREAT trip. Enjoy and I cant wait to hear your TR!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

California Girl wrote:Connie, you can't flush paper down the toilet on a boat... need I say more about what the baggies are used for? :oops: :lol:
:shock:
Extra pair of cheapo shades, suntan lotion,waterproof video camera, honey, whipped cream...
:twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:
Seriously, don't bring anything (besides your snorkel gear) that you can't fit in a 'carry-on' bag.
Too much crap will definately get in the way, and be useless. I've worn those "travel-ease" motion sickness fabric bracelets, and as I've said before, it very well might be mind over matter. They worked for me.
So excited for you all!
Don't forget your
Smiles-
MJ
madness

Post by madness »

Cannot emphasize enough what IslandElle said - if anyone says duck - DUCK!!

Wierd about the TP, we sail quite a bit and that has never come up.

Have a great time! Should be a ball. I am soo jealous.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Girl! We are going to have a blast with or without those baggies. My only regret is lacking strong enough refrigeration to pull off jell-o shots.

I too am interested in any tips folks may have for us.

Scubagirl keeps warning me that I don;t need to bring much. But to me it's a delicate balance of having what you need because you cacn't exactly hop in the jeep and roll down to the store to grab what you need.

And many of you know of my constant need for a packing intervention when traveling on island!

No doubt the TR will be a classic before it hits these virtual pages!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Pia

Post by Pia »

Pegs for the "washing line" (or wherever you peg suff to dry)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

You are so right, Pia. Bring clothes pins (preferably plastic) to pin up your towels and wet swim suits.

Oh, and it's best to pack in soft duffle bags so when you unpack they can be folded and take up zero space in the cabins.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Pooping in a baggie seems pretty gross to me. Then what do you do with it? :? Why doesn't the potty flush? I've been on lots of day sails that have a potty that can flush. Is there just no room in the crapper for all the poop? I'm re-thinking this sailing thing. It's hard enough to remember not to flush in the villa for #1.
loria

Post by loria »

the toilets flush- the baggie are for the paper--it's just that paper can make things a bit difficult--narrow pipes so to speak--
if you live on a boat you know not to use a lot of paper, but I imagine in the charter business that folks don;t necessarily know this and to have your toilets all screwed up on day 1 or 2 because someone used a whole bunch of paper, well--it take s the boat out of commission, etc...they probably just institute policies of no paper in the pooper --makes things easier all around.

you guys will have a great time--just remember to keep things 'ship shape' and then you'll be fine--you don't want your dirty dishes flying across the cabin when you hit a wave or some wind.......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

A little fun advice when you're moored at the Bight. The Willy T gets pretty busy, so you'll probably end up rafted off another dinghies and have to climb through them to get onboard. While doing so, it's good fun for the women to provide commentary on the firmness of the dinghies :) One of our girls said "This dinghy is MUCH firmer than ours!" just as I was stepping from our dinghy to the next; I immediately lost it and ended up bouncing off the pontoon and landing on my back on the floor of the "firmer" dinghy. It makes me laugh whenever I think about it! :lol:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

cypressgirl wrote:Pooping in a baggie seems pretty gross to me. Then what do you do with it? :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Cyp! You're killin' me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't poop in the baggie! You poop in the toilet, then after you're done, you put the TP in the baggie, roll it up, seal it, and put it in a special wastebasket behind a curtain under the sink. No one can see it, it's very discreet. Nothing "paper" goes in the toilet! :D
Last edited by California Girl on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

TMI!!!

Vicki & Grommit~ If you need a boat bartender/cook/maid or someone to dispose of your "baggie" just give me a shout! 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

You're right! Edited :D :lol: :lol:
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Rule #1 if you didn't eat it or drink it, it doesn't belong in the head...there are no plumbers at sea.

Rule #2 if you can't tie a good knot...tie lots of them.

Rule # 3 Willie T, Pirates, Loose Mongoose, Myets,

Enjoy...

Dave

Rule # 4 Next time do what the Captain suggested...or if the captain ain't happy, nobody is happy.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Boy, this brings back memories of our weekend sails on Lake Lanier with bro-sis-in-law. I was so paranoid about poop, I wouldn't go on the boat, such tight quarters made me anal (tee hee). I'd pop a roll of toilet paper into a zip lock and swim to the nearest little island, do my business and swim back to the boat. All my boaties thought it was hilarious.....not really....don't do your business in close quarters even if you have to swim to poop!!!
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Enough of the "POOP" and "Baggie" talk!!!! :wink: