Break-In

Travel discussion for St. John
MrB

Post by MrB »

Lulu76 wrote:Mr. B,

I went back and checked and it appears that he did stay where you usually stay. However, I am not familiar with that villa, and when I googled it to find out the management company, I couldn't really figure out who's in charge there. And I would like to know that because the original poster said that he was "underwhelmed" by their response. I think it's fair to mention them in that case, just so we all know what to expect in that same situation.

The villa that we stayed in where the property manager was obsessed with keeping the house secure was also on Rock Ridge Road. I think that area is probably an easy target for this kind of stuff because as far as I can tell it is almost all rental houses. I hate to say this, but tourists generally are easy targets because we do bring iPods, fancy cameras, lots of cash, etc., along with us.

This isn't going to change my mind on where I stay and what villas I like, but I am definitely going to be smarter.

I'm still not sleeping with the windows closed in a room with no air, but if someone wants my money bad enough to come in through the window while I'm sleeping, then I guess he can have it.
Thanks Lulu.

I did get a few pm's on the matter, and was sadly disappointed. While the front is secure, a particularly acrobatic criminal could access the back deck. With 6 patio doors, I understand not being able to keep track of locking them all. I guess diligence is the key word. MrsB was always a stickler about even the smallest item being put in the safe, and at the time, I was very blase about it. I'm glad I married her!!!!
MrB

Post by MrB »

cypressgirl wrote:I also have a huge problem leaving my daughter (age 17)at the villa by herself at night, to run into town for a drink or two.
Hey CG...not to seem to be making light of your concerns, but since when do you leave the hot tub after 5pm? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

MrB wrote:
cypressgirl wrote:I also have a huge problem leaving my daughter (age 17)at the villa by herself at night, to run into town for a drink or two.
Hey CG...not to seem to be making light of your concerns, but since when do you leave the hot tub after 5pm? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey B....it's 2 different vacations....traveling with a non drinking teenage daugher, and traveling with other drunks. Night and day!!
But they are both great. :D
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

cypressgirl wrote:I'd want to know if the villa I was about to rent had been recently broken into.
That has made my list of questions prior to renting.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
eramp76

Post by eramp76 »

Just chimin' in.

The break in I wrote about was at Paloma Blanca villa. It is in a bad neighborhood. We didn't know that when we rented it.

However, the villa management company was Destination St. John and they bent over backwards to take care of us. They moved us to a much nicer villa the very next morning. They did all they could to accomodate us. I would highly recommend them.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Paloma Blanca - " It is in a bad neighborhood"
Since I rarely see this written about St John can one of the on island posters explain this part in a little more detail. Thanks!
eramp76

Post by eramp76 »

"Bad Neighborhood" as in a rutted dirt road past several run down shacks with abandoned cars sitting around, weeds about waist high, and not too far from some subsidized housing (apartments) which the local police said was the biggest problem with the area.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I'm from Detroit. I've yet to see a "bad neighborhood" in St. John. To be honest, I really haven't seen one that would fit into my standards here in Nashville, either.

Not playing down anyone's experiences because it would suck regardless, but on St. John I'm not sure if it has as much to do with neighborhoods as it does with tourists looking like easy targets. That being said, you know what houses in your neighborhood are vacation rentals.
Bandit

Business Opportunity

Post by Bandit »

So with all of the stealing going on...I have decided to open up St. John's first Pawn Shop.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Some time ago there was an armed robbery at a villa, where, unfortunately, the guests of the villa had a gun pointed at them and were tied up. Soon after hearing about the incident we mentioned to one villa agency about it and, of course, they were aware of it. We asked if they knew which villa and they told us they didn't know. We kind of expected that answer. We even felt bad about asking... knowing the kind of business they are in.

The funny part is that, of all the villas on St. John, we ended up renting the exact villa through the agency a couple of weeks later - we found that out after reserving the villa. We didn't even know the incident had happened at one of the villas that the agency managed. Looking back, it must've been awkward for them to discuss about the incident with us, especially while we were in their office on the island, not on the phone or computer.

We would be lying if we said it was fine to be lied to... that being said, we do understand why they didn't want to give out the name of the villa, especially since it turned out that they were the one managing it.

I was rather apprehensive at first when we found out about it. Then, gradually, I felt okay to the point that I was really looking forward to staying there. I can tell you that we did enjoy our stay at the villa and had a wonderful time, and we will stay there again if the price is right.

The agency was actually great to deal with and we won't hesitate to use them again. As for what they could've said when we asked if they knew where the armed robbery occurred, I'm not sure... Perhaps, instead of saying they didn't know, they could've said they were sorry but would rather not give out the name. We, personally, wouldn't have been offended by the reply. I think it is human nature to want to know about something that concerns you in some way. At the same time I understand that agencies are in a tough spot in this type of situation.

In the end, it is up for us to enjoy our own vacation - while we are as cautious as we can comfortably be. I know I can't know everything and some things are just beyond my control.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Earlier today I had written a cynical reply to the person who said they asked if there had been crime at the villa they were thinking about booking. I had said that I didn't think every villa company would be honest about that. But then I decided I was being jaded and cynical and deleted my whole post.

And then I read Pickle's post.

I understand villa management companies have to rent villas to make money. I don't blame them for being protective about their properties and not doing anything unintentionally to harm their commodity. However, when someone asks about crime on St. John, they're not doing anyone favors to shrug off the issue.

Lightning rarely strikes the same spot twice, and it sounds like Pickle enjoyed her stay in that villa, but instead of lying, they should've said, "Actually, it's such-and-such villa, but these are the precautions we're taking to ensure that doesn't happen again." Then you made an informed decision when you chose that villa.

I don't want us to all talking trash about villas and management companies here. I don't think we need to, because there are some great villas and management companies. However, I think we need to look out for each other because I'm not sure we'll always get a straight answer from someone who'd like us to spend a large sum of money with them.

I'm reminded of my recent car purchase...We have to do our homework, or we might end up with a lemon. At least my car just doesn't have XM radio and a cargo net, and no one's sticking a gun in my face.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

I talked to Ho-trns, and I know what villa and which company he dealt with. I will not say who or where unless Ho does, but I can tell you for a fact, it was NOT Lisa Durgin of Vacation Vistas, or the Beach Garden Villa, where we just spent 10 wonderful days! Lisa has been very honest and up front with us about all of her villas, and if one of them had been broken into, she would not hesitate to inform us.

The villa rental company is extremely important to a successful vacation, and you should really consider who you rent with when you go.

By the way, we are back home now, and re-entry sucks pond water..... :cry: :cry:

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

hotrns

Post by hotrns »

Well you all have convinced me that perhaps I should provide more information (that and the total lack of support from the owners and Management Company). The villa we were staying at was Villa Allesandra and the management company was Island Getaways. This villa has a double lock on the front door but has about 6 sliding glass doors in the back which lead to the pool deck. There is a 6 foot gate which limits access from the street to the pool deck but apparently a dedicated person could climb over this gate. I really do not have any problems with the Allesandra … I believe it is probably just as secure as any other villa on the island. However, the fact that the owners feel they have no responsibility for the incident and there is nothing they can do is disappointing to say the least.
My biggest disappointment was with Island Getaways. The police recommended I call them to see what they might do to help. When I was finally able to get a hold of Kathy McLaughlin the next day, she seemed less than concerned. She claimed that there was nothing she could do but her main question revolved around what was stolen from the villa. When I said I didn’t believe anything had been stolen from the villa she was done until I asked about insurance. She said she didn’t believe there was any but said she would check with the owners and get back with us. Remember this was Saturday morning. We were checking out on Monday and had still not heard from Kathy so I called to find out what was the status. As was the case every time we called Island Getaways, no one was there so I left a message. It was Tuesday morning before Kathy sent an email indicating that she still did not have any information regarding the insurance. Finally today, she let me know there was nothing they could do.
Based on this rental experience, I don’t feel I could recommend Island Getaways as a management company on St John. I don’t own a multimillion dollar villa in the Caribbean but I am sure if I did, and there was a reported robbery, I would want the management company to at least stop by to ensure nothing in the villa was taken or damaged. In addition, we called in the middle of the two week stay to state there was a problem with the bed. Kathy stated someone would come to look at it but they never did and we lived with a stack of books holding up one end of the bed. Finally, I can’t help but be suspicious of the timing of this break-in. We had been there for more than a week when the maids came for a mid-stay cleaning. The next night is when we were hit. Probably just a coincidence but coupled with the total lack of concern from the management company, I can’t help but wonder.
Now hopefully I can spend some time writing up a trip report so I can talk about all of the GOOD times we had.
Rich
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

WOW! That does hit close to home. I have to digest this a bit. I've never actually been scared on STJ, but that is just a little un-nerving. I would expect the STJ Police Dept. to be pretty useless, but the management company is our best friend. If they fail us, then what??
2n2red

Post by 2n2red »

Each and every door was locked! I made sure of that because I don't leave my home here in Virginia without locking the doors. However, we did not place the poles into the sliders. Our stupidity. We will be back though, because we love St John and the surrounding areas.