Norman & Willy T or Jost?

Travel discussion for St. John
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

You may want to consider renting a power boat rather than a sailboat. We have gone out on a sailboat many times around STJ and have loved it but this past visit we decided to charter a power boat and go to the BVI. You can do much more in one day.

Here’s what we did on a one day power boat charter two weeks ago. We went to the Caves – very interesting, lots of fish, the Indians – amazing snorkeling, even with the algae plume, you can swim through an arch that is cool, the Willy T – delicious food for lunch, we ended up there right at noon, fun place to visit, Sandy Spit – amazing little island, you will take lots of photos here, Foxy’s – laid back place, yummy frozen drinks, try the “friggin riggin”, ended the day at White Bay, beautiful beach and the Soggy Dollar is such a fun place, definitely have a painkiller here. We also had time to clear customs of course and never felt rushed and thoroughly enjoyed everything.

You are traveling with a large group of 8 (we had 7), and any group over 6 is harder to find a charter for due to licensing issues. We didn’t want to share a boat with others and were looking for an affordable way to do this. We ended up chartering a boat with a captain/guide from Ocean Runners in Cruz Bay. The way they rent out boats as well as captains allows them to take more than six passengers. I would highly recommend this. Tom was our captain and he was awesome! I think the combination of seeing and experiencing all of the above places made for an exceptional day.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Another vote for Jost here.

The Willy T is a fun place, especially if you're already moored at the Bight, but not sure I'd make a special trip there. It would be a good stop if you're planning to snorkel the Caves though.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I'm with Rick G---do both. Snorkel at Indians after clearing customs in West End, lunch at Willy T followed by a jump in the water, then head over to White Bay for a painkiller. Get back just before Customs closes in Cruz Bay.
---Jim
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

My mistake---remembered after I answered that you're sailing. Its possible to do both on a powerboat, but not sailing. I'd vote for Jost, in that case.
---Jim
rebelbeachgirl

Post by rebelbeachgirl »

Snorkeling at the Indians was fun, but not the best that I have done in the VIs. I am not a strong swimmer, so I used a flotation device to be safe. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't make a special trip for it. We visited Bight for a little while, and the people were very nice, and we had the place to ourselves.

BUT, all that to say....I would definitely pick Jost. Stop by Foxy's, then head over to Soggy D. :) Hanging out on the beach at Soggy D and enjoying a few Painkillers is the ultimate beach experience. My husband, who cannot swim and is not much of a drinker....jumped right off the boat and "swam" in and then became quite a fan of the Painkiller! 8)
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We have often managed, in one day, to do Caves, Indians, lunch on Norman, Sandy Cay, drinks on Jost at both Foxy's and White Bay...

Sometimes we do some Tortola snorkeling and lunch in lieu of Norman / Indians, but we have always done one or the other PLUS Jost in a single day's boat rental..