Norman & Willy T or Jost?

Travel discussion for St. John
Fowst

Norman & Willy T or Jost?

Post by Fowst »

I've got to decide whether my group will sail to the Indians-Caves-Willy T, or Jost. I'm under the impression from my charter contact that the snorkeling on the Norman trip is far superior, while the Jost trip is mainly geared toward the party atmosphere of White Bay. What about asking the boat to hit some spots on STJ for snorkeling that we may not otherwise be able to access if we go to Jost?

So I guess here's the question. If you had 8 adults who liked to have a good time, but also wanted some good snorkeling, what would you choose? A related question would be, how does hanging out on the Willy T compare to hitting the Soggy Dollar, One Love, and the rest of White Bay?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I think it depends on how hard core your partiers are. We moored next to the WillyT one night and didn't even go over there. It's just a boat with a bar and some food. If you're interested in some major drinking, then it would be great!

I can't comment on snorkeling at The Indians, but the Caves were interesting. However, with the algae bloom last week, it was hardly "good" snorkeling. If the water clears up, I would recommend it, though.

Given the choice between Norman Is. and Jost, I'd pick Jost hands down!!!!! LOVE IT! The Soggy Dollar is an excellent place to hang out and the water is gorgeous. I can't say if there's snorkeling there though.
Bug

Post by Bug »

I agree with CA Girl. I would, hands down, do Jost!! You could have your Captn' take you to Waterlemon on STJ for a snorkel then over to Jost for lunch and drinks!! We usually always stop at Foxy's for a couple of minutes just to get our Foxy's Gear :wink:

BTW...if you go to Jost, don't forget to walk up the beach to One Love Bar. Raquel makes the best Bushwackers around. If Pinky is cooking, they've got some great eats too.

XOXO
Bug
jmq

Post by jmq »

Doing some quality snorkeling to/from Jost would supplement the Jost chillin and partying well.

Now, if it is not that choppy, snorkeling the Indians is a great. We found the Caves underwhelming and would skip it to spend more time snorkeling the Indians and nearby Pelican Island.

As for the party aspect of that trip, besides the Willy T (which can be a wild card in terms of the vibe), a great alternative or another bar hop option in the bight on Norman Island within spittin distance of the Willy T is this place, which would be more like the vibe of the places on JVD: http://www.normanislandpirates.com/
There are some trails on Norman too. More information here:
http://www.travelbeat.net/sailing/archi ... sland-bvi/ and here
http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/map_norman_ ... ooper.html
Last edited by jmq on Thu May 07, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Having done all of the above except the caves I would recommend Caves, Indians and Willy T.

If you want to get to Jost to party just hop on the ferry to Jost and hang there for the day.

The Indians are a superior and excellent snorkeling experience but not for the faint hearteed as you are pretty much in open ocean and if visibility is good it can freak a few people out at first cause you can see ALLLLLLL the way down. But its a great time.

Willy T will be a blast especially when you've got a small group. You can bring your own party with you. Food is good and its a fun time.

I've heard mixed reviews of the Caves. Like Virgin Gorda some love it and some are underwhelmed (as noted).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jost but since you can get a ferry to Jost (now Fri-Tues these days) just do that and use the flexibility of the boat to take you to places that you can't get to via ferry.

Just my .02.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

We've done them all, too. I agree with CG tho, skip the Caves.....the Indians are not bad if the chop is down and visibility is good, but it is for the heard core snorkeler, and the Willie T is, well, the Willie T. :wink: :wink:

There are tons of good snorkeling spots between St. John and Jost.....Lovango, Leinster, just to name a couple. After your snorkel fix, a drink and lunch at Foxy's or on White Bay can't be beat!

Which ever one you decide, you'll make some of your own great memories!! Have fun!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

[quote="California Girl"]I think it depends on how hard core your partiers are. We moored next to the WillyT one night and didn't even go over there. It's just a boat with a bar and some food. If you're interested in some major drinking, then it would be great!

:shock: Are you kidding? During our sailing lessons trip we hit the Willy-T for an entire evening and danced all night. It was so much fun (and I didn't even drink too much). Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

I think the Willy Tee during the day can be pretty tame compared to the night time activities - at least from what I've seen in the "family album" :oops:
Paula

Joshie

Post by Joshie »

RickG

Post by RickG »

Hmmm, we do both! Other options for lunch on the south side are Cooper and Peter.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Since I'm not much of a drinker and even though Jost is beautiful I'd opt for snorkel stops at Henley and Lovango and then head over to Tortola to clear customs and make a quick stop at the West End Shops. From there I'd head over to the Indians (if the water's not too choppy and the visibility is good) and then on to the Willy T for lunch (too crazy later in the afternoon for this old girl :D ). (I've "been there, done that" at the Caves so I'd skip that stop.) If time and the seas allow I'd stop at Sandy Spit and Sandy Cay (more snorkeling) because it's such a gorgeous place. If there's at little more time left, I'd make a quick stop at the Soggy Dollar for a yummy Painkiller. That's my idea of the perfect Boat Day.
captainjay

Re: Norman & Willy T or Jost?

Post by captainjay »

Fowst wrote:I've got to decide whether my group will sail to the Indians-Caves-Willy T, or Jost. I'm under the impression from my charter contact that the snorkeling on the Norman trip is far superior, while the Jost trip is mainly geared toward the party atmosphere of White Bay. What about asking the boat to hit some spots on STJ for snorkeling that we may not otherwise be able to access if we go to Jost?

So I guess here's the question. If you had 8 adults who liked to have a good time, but also wanted some good snorkeling, what would you choose? A related question would be, how does hanging out on the Willy T compare to hitting the Soggy Dollar, One Love, and the rest of White Bay?
So we need more info. Is this a day trip? A weeklong charter? Sailboat or power boat? All these things make a difference. Snorkling at the Indians and the Caves are great. White Bay is close to a religous experience. Neither should be missed if we are talking bucket lists. So we need to know the details to give good advice.
Jay
Fowst

Post by Fowst »

Day sail, leaving Cruz Bay and returning that night. Once the 7th person told me the Caves were nothing special, I wrote them off. Other good advice I received was that the Indians won't be that great if the sea is rough. However, the consensus seems to be that the Indians are a top-shelf snorkel.

I'm a little closer to being able to make an informed decision, thanks everyone for your input.

Fowst
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

This is only my opinion! But after 18 charters, I think I deserve to have one. But only one!

I think the caves, in terms of the number and variety of fish is way better than the Indians. If you are going to the Caves, because they are caves, don't go. You will be disappointed. If you want to snorkel with tons of fish, the odd southern ray, eagle ray, nurse shark, turtle, and amazing coral, then the caves is the best. The more fish, the better in my opinion.

Now having said that, Jost is one of my most favorite places to go, not to snorkel, but to people watch, eat, drink, enjoy the view, walk the beach, and watch crazy people try to anchor their boats.

Sydney