Cptnkirk's Day 4

Travel discussion for St. John
cptnkirk

Cptnkirk's Day 4

Post by cptnkirk »

Same old morning routine but man could I get used to it. Played around with the camera taking telephoto pics. This camera still amazes me what it can do with its zoom for such a small camera.
Villas from these hills

Were out the door by nine and we decide to give Gibney a try. Were the first car there and we head down the drive. This time we knew the right way to enter instead of walking right thru someone's property. We get to the bottom and hear the waves crashing and wow the north swells are kickin. There is no beach to be found so we turn around and head back up the hill. We decide to head to Cinnamon as we figure that would be the best beach to have some fun in those big kahunas. Wow never seen waves like this on St John they reminded me of the big waves at Nags Head. There's no beach at first but we find a great spot by the lookout bench.

Were all sittin there watching these huge waves come in and I notice there really breaking nice a little way down the beach to the left. I head out to do my first body surfing on St John ever and man was it a blast. Was catching some good waves but occasionally ya woud get a huge one that would be so big it would just collapse into a huge roaring mass of sand and sea foam with no forward push. Well I tried one of the huge ones and it flipped me over did a handstand and landed on my feet. It was a ten I tell ya. I was very lucky if I hadn't had my hands in front of me could have been ugly. Did see a couple guys come back hurt that day. They were definitely waves that deserved some respect.
Some vids
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2476710640
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7596904101
Well I'm pooped after an hour of that and settle in with the gang. I tell Andy if ya go play in those waves put your belt on to be safe. Andy and I start getting our drink on and all is good. We just sit around and talk and enjoy watching the waves and people getting beat up by them. We would be watching and go OH OH watch this one and someone would get creamed, don't turn your back to waves like that JEEZ! Well as far as I know nobody drowned that day. This ended up being drunk beach day for me as I seem to always have one. Well everyone is ready to leave about three and what does this dumba$$ drunk do before we take off, head for the water. Don't bother to take my hat off or sunglasses I get slammed, takes me under hat floats off in the ocean sunglasses bent on my face. See how alcohol screws with your better judgement. I knew these waves deserved respect but oh no not when your ten feet tall and bullet proof from the bottle. Well at least I found my hat and I let Dawny drive us home safe and sound.

Get back to the villa turn on the tunes and chill at the pool should have stopped on the drinkin but I didn't must have been in the pool for three hours as I was prunnie when I got out. Dawny cooked some awesome Chicken Parmesan for dinner. Then a little after dinner entertainment from the boys. I do remember what the song that was playing it was Come Sail Away by Styx. After the show I was out like a light, that wicker chair seemed pretty comfy that evening. Got yelled at for snoring so I headed for the girls room and was out for the night.

Imagehttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310 ... G_3013.jpg[/IMG]
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Rockin' that air guitar!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Great job thanks
Cid

Post by Cid »

There's nothing like some good old alcohol-induced air guitar!! Sounds like you're having fun...it's snowing here. I just heard the plow truck go by salting the roads. Man does the island sound nice right about now....

What villa are you staying at? The views look familiar. I looked at some of those same villas and wished I had a nice telephoto lens.
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Another classic, Kirk! Too funny! I have a feeling that Day 5's report is going to start out "Well, I was so hungover from the night before..."
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Those are some amazing waves, Captain!

In your last zoomed in picture, that orange parking area and the pool below it belong to the first villa we stayed in.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Those shore breaks can really sneak up on you!

Is that spit of hilltop in the photo Maria's Bluff or further south?
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Wow, the waves. But for some reason, my eyes keep coming back to the "playing air guitars" shot. Why?

We stayed in Hart Bay a few times, and every time, my husband wondered about what he calls the "Dome House" (the second zoom in shot). He always said he wanted to stay there, but I don't think it's a rental house. I've got to show the photo to him. Thank you, cptn!
islandgirlstuckinVA

Post by islandgirlstuckinVA »

Wow, the waves!!!!! Great photos! Seems like you're having a blast! :)
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

agent99 thats the cliff on Hart Bay were the dome house is, but we could see Maria Bluff from our villa, Heres a pic of Maria Bluff far right. Cid Sea Dream is the villa go back a page if ya want to see the video I posted of it.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

WOW! It looks like you were having a whole lot of fun!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Thanks Captn' those waves sound fun...and I know what you mean about having respect...I learned that a few times myself while in a roiling mass of saltwater wondering when/if I would get air again...
Cheers

Oh, ...and rock on dude!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Air guitar = claaaasic!! Loving your report! :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED