Airfare drop

Travel discussion for St. John
Patty

Airfare drop

Post by Patty »

I noticed this morning when I checked airfare that Continental has dropped their price $100 per ticket out of Norfolk. It's still higher than what we have paid in recent years at $556 per ticket. I wonder if prices will drop some more??
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

We saw the fare out of Newark on Continental drop and raise a few times after we bought ours for this current trip. I don't think they ever stayed lower than our $550ish price. I did notice the price over $700 days before we left and our flight was packed full.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Hey Patty - we've been driving up to D.C. the last few years because flights out of Norfolk are so high. We've paid anywhere from 250 - 300, the 590 is about the best we've seen in years. It's very frustrating isn't it?? :?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Airlines this AM including Delta inidcated they would be cutting back on flights by 6-8% over the next year. Look for prices to go back up...
*Another fine scatterbrained production
philbetm

airfares

Post by philbetm »

:evil:

Man have you ever had to fly out of
Charlotte, NC ? Got to be the most
expensive airport in the whole U.S. !!!!

That's our home airport ( and closest)
to go from ...Ohhhh it hurts.

If the fares drop even a little...you
better grab fast. We have always took the
the non-stop on USairways...but lordy it's
out of reach on $$$$$ right now.

Sherry
" I believe there's Magic here...."
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

Actually, that honor would go to CVG, the Greater Cincinnati (Ohio) airport located down in Kentucky over by Indiana ;-)
http://www.gadling.com/2008/11/05/the-m ... in-the-us/

Don't quote me, but I believe it's been 2 years we've had the lead, they publish data at least quarterly. And the streak is many years we've been ranked in the top few.

We used up FF miles to fly to STT last June (which was no easy task given Delta's stinginess to get the SkySavers). But I regularly checked the fares for those dates, as well as for this coming June for similar dates, out of curiosity and for future info since my FF mile accounts were drained. (My wife is a school teacher so even though the kids are grown we're limited on travel dates.)
My recollection, entirely unscientific, but the fares for CVG-STT on weekday travel in June (reasonable shot at getting the cheapest available) typically bottomed at $600, were routinely $800-900, and during one stretch when fuel went through the roof this past summer were $1200-1300 for the buy ahead, cheap as you can go fare. FWIW - right now they're as low as they've been for that time of year. Sometimes cheaper during other seasons, ie when I can't go :-(

Here's another airfare craziness I experienced - several years ago I had a flight to Japan from CVG via Minneapolis on Northwest. The fare was about $1000, no Sat. stayover, bought a couple of weeks ahead. A round trip from CVG to Minneapolis on THE SAME FLIGHTS without hopping on over to Japan was $1300.

In my experience, there's not much rhyme or reason, it's simply whatever they can get with charging.

irbgolfin
kma27

air fares

Post by kma27 »

Boy I really feel lucky as far as air fares go...back last April I bought tickets from IAD to STT for our February 2009 trip for $293.00 a piece. I thought it was a joke but it wasn't! I'm so glad I grabbed on to them when I did.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Can anyone predict if airfares from IAD to STT will drop after the holidays? We would most likely use Delta air miles for 2 of the tickets but there are six of us going. The trip would not be till July or August. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I have been watching flights from Chicago for awhile. It went down to $430 today and I bought them. This evening they are back up to $490. I am just glad to have them. It makes the trip planning more complete. We have to go now!!!
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

American dropped their prices last night for May. We fly from Orlando and the inlaws are flying from Ohare and both flights made a pretty good drop. So if anyone is watching American you might want to check it out.
ScottB

American Airlines

Post by ScottB »

Definitely watch AA. We just booked a week or so back, and found $370 RT from Boston to STT (For June travel). One tip I have is to find your accomodations, and make sure the availability is there plus or minus a few days on either end of your desired week. Then, try leaving mid-week versus the weekends. If you are flexible on your flight days, you should be able to score a lower rate. That's the lowest rate I've paid for any island.

Once you get your flights, then call back and reserve the lodging that you already knew was available for your dates.