Trip Report 11/23 - 12/09 part 1 Secret Harbour

Travel discussion for St. John
patr

Trip Report 11/23 - 12/09 part 1 Secret Harbour

Post by patr »

Hello Forum Friends,

As promised here is the first installment of our trip report. I have to hurry and get this report posted before Jorge gets to the island and starts with his live antics, as this report will seem boring in comparison!

Thanksgiving morning up at 4:00 a.m. to catch a 6:55 a.m. flight out of St Louis. Pack the winter coats quickly into the large outer pockets of the suitcase prior to checking them, not to be seen or needed again for 17 glorious, sun-filled days; Layover in Miami without a hitch and land on St Thomas 3:30 in the afternoon. Ahhhh the warmth and sunshine. 8)

We claim the bags in a record 10-15 minute wait and head to the cabs. We load up with a group going to Red Hook and one other couple also going to Secret Harbour.

We arrive at Secret Harbour before 5; not too bad for island time. The other couple got to the desk before us and are met with a grave, "there's no easy way to say this, but we do not have a room for you" They booked through Expedia and were told the resort was overbooked and they were being sent to Wyndam Sugar Bay.(all on Secret Harbour's tab) They were not too happy and after much discussion (and the manager's card) finally loaded up and a Secret Harbour van took them to Sugar Bay.

We sheepishly gave our name and wondered if we would get a room. The desk clerk smiled and said, "yes we have a room for you, it's the last room we have available." I filled out the necessary forms and received a map of the property with our room 501 "up the hill" was circled. "Wait, I booked and paid for beachfront!" With this, the clerk walks to the refrigerator and pulls out a fruit basket, and explains, "the property is undergoing some renovations which we expected to be complete at this time, but unfortunately they are not" He went on to explain that my account was credited the difference for the room rate. The rate he quoted was higher than the non-beachfront rates on-line (where I booked).

Once again, after a lengthy discussion to no avail, and we also took the manager's card and went on "up the hill". The room was lovely, newly renovated with a very nice kitchen and pretty close to the pool. I decided to speak with Ernest (the manager) in the morning and not let it ruin our evening.

We had dinner reservations at the Blue Moon, so freshened up a bit and headed down to the beach to chill before our dinner at six. Of course, they were offering a Turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, but hey we're on the island, I want seafood! I had some pasta that was quite yummy, Dear Husband (DH) wanted something more traditionally TG and ordered the ham.

After a long travel day, I was ready to crash shortly after dinner (with a few painkillers).

Friday morning, DH headed back to the Blue Moon for a hot breakfast, I opted for some of the complimentary fruit. When DH returned, we donned our suits, grabbed our snorkel gear and headed down to the beach.

First though, I stopped at the office to chat with Ernest. I asked for him at the front desk and when he appeared, asked if there was some place more private we could go to talk. "Sure, come on back to my office." I explained the other couple's situation, then went on to explain our disappointment, I also mentioned how the forum folks just love Secret Harbour and this is our first experience. He was quite nice and promised to try and make it right. I also explained the discrepancy in the rate for the non-beachfront room. He looked at us and asked, are you on your way out to beach? "yes" He went on to say, go on out to beach and let me see what I can do to make you happy. Stop back in the office later and we'll talk again.

We went out and staked a claim on a couple of lounge chairs and slathered each other with sunscreen and started to unpack the snorkel gear. Before we could even hit the water, here comes Ernest. He tells us that they are moving us into a Beachfront suite, the staff will move all of our belongings, we have to do nothing. He also informed us that the suite will be charged to us at the non-beachfront rate which was published on-line. How's that for service?! We were pleasantly surprised. (I guess the forum comment scared him) :wink: He asked us to stop by the desk later to exchange keys.

We got into the snorkel gear and saw a lot of fish, even a barracuda and swam for a long time with a turtle. Then spent the rest of afternoon reading, relaxing and snoozing on the beach. Secret Harbour really is a nice place and we definitely plan to return again.

We went up to the office and got the new key, and just as promised all our stuff was moved to the new room. It was HUGE. It had a separate living room and kitchen. Both rooms also had a very nice library of books, with a note welcoming guests to take unfinished books, but also inviting guests to leave finished books. I always kind of thought that was the idea with the libraries in hotels and villas, but had never seen it written before.

After showering we headed back to the Blue Moon for dinner. We were seated next to a table of four or five 20 something year old guys. Their conversation was at times pretty vulgar and raunchy. DH asked to be reseated. Of course the request was honored and once again we enjoyed a delicious dinner. We hung around the bar for a little while enjoying the live music and more painkillers.

After a lazy walk down the beach and back, we headed in the night.

Saturday morning we breakfasted at the Blue Moon. Yummy French Toast. We asked for a late check-out as today we were heading to Virgin Gorda. The front desk clerk was extremely helpful in verifying the ferry schedule and arranging a cab. We hung out at the desserted but lovely pool until lunchtime. After a quick bite, DH had a hotdog and I ordered a saled, we were off the catch the downtown ferry to VG.

Part Two - Virgin Gorda coming soon . . .
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Wow, Secret Harbour really came through for you! I truly enjoy that resort. It is just so relaxing. Ernest is great. He has always been so helpful to us, and so friendly too!

I'm glad you had a nice meal at Blue Moon--I really like that place.

I wonder what happened with the overbookings--maybe condo owners decided to come down for the holidays and bumped out people? I'd be mad about moving to Sugar Bay because the snorkeling is so good at Secret Harbour.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
SuefromMA

So happy for you

Post by SuefromMA »

So happy to hear that Ernest came through for you! He has always been very attentive and accomodating to us, as well.

Yes, I agree, I bet that "forum comment" probably didn't hurt either.

Isn't it the most amazing place??!!?? Beautiful views from the beachfront suites, great food & awesome snorkeling!

We couldn't imagine a trip to the "ilons" without a little stop over for some peaceful R&R at Secret Harbour.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!
patr

Post by patr »

We loved Secret Harbour, even with the room mix-up.

Ernest was super nice; we loved the Blue Moon and the beach; snorkeling was quite good too! We promised him we would be back soon.

We are planning another trip for April and this time hope to stay at SH at both the beginning and end of our trip.

Travel days are difficult for me, as I am not a good flyer and must medicate, so therefor I virtually lose the first day and half of vacations sleeping off the meds. :roll: Secret Harbour is a great place for this! DH has all the amenities and a great beach to relax on snorkel on, so he doesn't have to sit around and watch me snooze. It is a perfect solution!
Patr

SuefromMA

When in April??

Post by SuefromMA »

Have you planned your dates yet for April??

We will be on St. John from 4/21 - 4/26/07 - and will be staying at Secret Harbour for the nights of 4/27 & 4/28.

Would be cool to meet up with you, if our dates of travel coincide!
patr

Post by patr »

Hi Sue,

Right now it's looking like March 30 - April 15.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Patr

RickG

Post by RickG »

Hey, it certainly pays to be polite and respectful. Folks in the hospitality industry get flamed every day. Reasonable goes a long way. Good for you.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI