bodybike / spinning ?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
linne

bodybike / spinning ?

Post by linne »

Just curious! Have any of you been to Bodybike/Spinning?

I tried it in my fitness centre for the first time today. I have always thought that it looked silly when people are sitting on a bike in a room listening to orders from an instructor. But some of my girlfriends like this way to take exercise, so I decided to try it.

Think it was pretty hard, and don't really know if I will do it again :? .

Linne
loria

Post by loria »

a friend of mine has a spinning studio in town here. It is a brutal work out!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

It's practically the only class offered at my gym because so many people like it. I like a hard workout but can't get into it !
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

My husband and I do spin classes twice a week. Some instructors are better than others. We go to the classes with the instructor we prefer who is motivating without being too harsh. We also like the music she chooses , some of the instructors use that very heavy techno music which I hate.
I think its a good and challenging work cardio out. Do what you can, don't feel like you have to keep up with the rest of the class in the beginning. Here in NY spinning can get a little crazy with the participants yelling and chanting, to " pysch" themselves, its weird. I would not enjoy a class like that. Last year there was an incident ( not at my club) between two men who got into a fight because one guy was too loud.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Hi Linne!

I do spinning classes two three times a week and really like it. It's hard but fun. How much fun, really depends on the instructor and what kind of music they play. You get "tricked" into trying harder with the group dynamics.

It's best if you combine spinning with some kind of muscle training, as you hardly use any muscles unless the legs in spinning.

Good luck!
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

I agree with what has been posted already. I started about 5 months ago, and go about 4 times a week. It is somewhat addicting, if you like it and give it a chance.
I found that the dynamics of each class are different, depending on the instructor. I learned a long time ago not to get too attached to anyone in particular (only because I found a kickboxing teacher I loved, and then she left, it was like a bad break up for me!!).
Music is also huge for me. I need to enjoy it and have it motivate me.
You get what you give workout wise, as you control the resistance and intensity. Don't be afraid to push yourself, but know your limits.
Great workout if done correctly. Most of all Have Fun.
NIKKI

Post by NIKKI »

Hi

I do this and I have found it really helps to get one of the gel bike seats, it saves much of the Ive just got off of a horse (bandy) style walking you get the next few days after the 1st few work outs !!
Chet

Post by Chet »

I bike to work every day, spend 30-40 min on the stationary bike during lunch, and on the weekends put in 40-50 mi on the tri-bike (Delaware is flat). I'm addicted. Spinning is highly recommended.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Linne,

I go to spin class every Tuesday at 5:45 a.m. It's a great way to wake up and a great workout -- I'm sweating like crazy when I'm done. Our instructor is great and really motivating. There's alot of variation in the class too: rolling hills, racing, progressive climbs, etc., all pretty well sync'd to the music to keep it fun. I really like it. (Except the getting up at 5:15 part. But then I'm done for the day!)
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I'm going to give it another try tomorrow morning. I did it years ago and the instructor was boring, all she did was bark. I'm hopeful that there's a reason everyone likes it!
linne

Post by linne »

Okay, from your answers I can see that I have to do as Maryanne - give spinning another try (if someone is ready to get up at 5.15 in the morning just to go to spin class, it must be real good :) ). A girlfriend told me that it is easier if you wear special shorts and shoes, so perhaps I have to buy that.

In my fitness centre I normally participate twice a week in clases with yoga or pilates, once a week in core ball and twice a week in step (on a bench). My favourite is step. I love to move to rhythmical music.

Linne
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

linne wrote:Okay, from your answers I can see that I have to do as Maryanne - give spinning another try (if someone is ready to get up at 5.15 in the morning just to go to spin class, it must be real good :) ). A girlfriend told me that it is easier if you wear special shorts and shoes, so perhaps I have to buy that.

In my fitness centre I normally participate twice a week in clases with yoga or pilates, once a week in core ball and twice a week in step (on a bench). My favourite is step. I love to move to rhythmical music.

Linne
I wish I could do step, but can't really handle all the moves. I will look like a complete fool that has no coordination of any of my body parts :lol: Spinning on the other hand, is easy.

You are right about the shoes. But please try a few times first, and see if you really like it, before you buy them. I just wear long pants, but I know there are special shorts that have an soft layer, so it's not that hard to sit. You can also put a "saddle pillow" (no idea what the English word is for this) on the saddle. I don't need that, maybe I have enough fat in my butt anyway, but I do appreciate the spinning shoes.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I gave it a try. I wore bike shorts; the saddle was still uncomfortable. I really like a hard workout but I am bored easily and I was a bit bored by it. I can see that the music would really make a difference. I didn't care for the music, but I guess mainly I don't like to know what's next. I'm bored when someone says, OK, THREE MORE MINUTES! YOU CAN DO IT! TWO MORE! TWENTY SECONDS! etc.

I went to a group treadmill class once that was really hard and you were constantly changing inclines, speed, etc. It was a great workout and went by very fast. My gym is not interested in doing that though.

But I'm trying to mix things up so I would spin again, try a different teacher with different music.

PS I like my real bike and like to ride it over roots and rocks, so I suppose the predictability of spinning isn't for me.