Occupying a three year old on the plane.

Travel discussion for St. John
P-600

Occupying a three year old on the plane.

Post by P-600 »

We are going to Punta Cana next week and I was putting together a back pack for my three year old. I am looking for small things to keep him occupied for the flight --we don't have direct flights either way. I plan on wrapping them like presents and giving them to him during the flight. I got a view master with Spongebob and Thomas. One of those coloring books that can be erased and re-colored. Snacks. Any other ideas?

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Nipper bottle of Cruzan! :lol:
P-600

Post by P-600 »

That will be in Mommy's back pack! :wink:

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
loria

Post by loria »

what airline are you flying? several have great kids programming on the screen on the seat back--that has been a LIFE SAVER for us on many trips.so bring a headset
small presents work well--but you will probably find that you go thru them in the first hour or so -but you know your kid best.
I would bring drawing stuff, in addition to small toys .
if you have a portable DVD (or a laptop) charge it and bring that with movies.
i know it sounds like a cop out, but in a confined space, i find it crucial!

also, a lollipop for the ears (or gum, if he/she can handle that)--
make sure you get a pillow and blanket when you board and bring extra snacks (you already knew that though)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
P-600

Post by P-600 »

We are flying American and it is hard for him to see the tv on their planes. The DVD player is a great idea. I wouldn't normally stress but the stop and 2 hour layover's got me crazy.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I would second the portable DVD player for the plane. Its small and a couple movies will make your flight better. If your 3 yr old hasn't flown before the lollipop is a great idea for something to help relieve the inner ear pressure that can cause pain to children. If you can feed him/her before boarding you might be able to getaway with a nap.
Good Luck!
loria

Post by loria »

ok, yeah, know the american equipment that makes that flight--it sucks-
bring your laptop or a dvd player ( you can sell it after the fact if need be)
your kid will be happy and you will be happy.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

There's no better way to say this other than to say that I'm a parent and have done it before:

Benadryl

I'm just saying. We did it twice on flights from NJ to FLA and it worked wonders.

Nobody needs to agree with drugging one's child, but it can be the last line of defense in the battle against insanity.

Otherwise, get a cheap mp3 player and load it up with books on CD or Laurie Birkner. Then you can all sing "We are the dinosaurs"...marching marching.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

If all else fails, dramamine to help him sleep! Seriously, our daughter gets motion sickness so we have been using it for years. At 3, she got a half tablet of the children's chewable. Typically slept at least an hour after taking it.

Definitely something for the ears - if you think he can stand ear plugs look for the ones to help with ear pressure. And, I agree on the DVD suggestion. Hard to keep little ones happy in their seat but the DVD players work wonders. I would also bring some of his favorite books.

As for blanket and pillow, don't rely on American having them. Bring his favorite blanket and stuffed animal (if he does those).
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I've always had tremendous luck with a goodie bag full of stuff that they have never seen. I pick up things from the target one spot and stickers, colorwonder markers, etc. And never underestimate the power of snacks.

A word of warning about Benedryl - it doesn't work on all kids and on a small subset has the opposite of the intended reaction. My godmother learned that the hard way on a flight to London with a 3 year old. If you choose that option make sure to test it on the ground first.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

flip-flop wrote:A word of warning about Benedryl - it doesn't work on all kids and on a small subset has the opposite of the intended reaction. My godmother learned that the hard way on a flight to London with a 3 year old. If you choose that option make sure to test it on the ground first.
I haven't tried it yet but many friends told me it was like letting their kids drink a pint of expresso. From what I hear, it is one extreme or the other.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

opps, forgot to add that we also like the portable DVD player. Inexpensive ones can be found on Amazon or any other shopping site.

I can't remember where I learned it but if you turn the screen brightness down and use headphones, the batteries last twice as long. We get about 6 hours out of ours.

I think the goodie bag of toys idea is a good one but it backfired on us in June. He ended up having several things to play with and not enough room on the tray table.

Our son kept dropping things on the floor and then yelling "get my turtles please!" over and over again.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I haven't done a flight, but just did a 6+ hour car trip with 2 and 4 year olds. Here's what I found worked well for us:

DVD Player Rocks.

Post-it Notes and some paper to stick them on. Sounds dumb, but it worked great. Plus, you can collect them back up and play the game over and over again.

Seek and find books or hidden pictures (very simple ones of course).

Treats they don't get at home.
Jennifer

Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

Definitely the DVD player is worth the investment! If it wasn't for having season 4 of Spongebob Squarepants on DVD I don't think my family would have survived our last trip to St. Thomas... :lol:

-Sandy
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

What was Jorge's "little helper" for the last trip?