The Odds of Making a 4 p.m. Ferry?

Travel discussion for St. John
vernettm

The Odds of Making a 4 p.m. Ferry?

Post by vernettm »

Our flight arrives at STT at 3:10 p.m. on 2/24/07. Our ferry options are the 'shorter taxi - longer ferry' at 4 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. out of Charlotte Amalie or the 'longer taxi - shorter more frequent ferry' at 4 p.m. or 5 p.m. out of Red Hook (at least that's what I can determine). Our car rental place (St. John Rental) closes at 5 p.m., so we'd like to try to get there to have the vehicles to get to our villa without incurring taxi fare to/from villa to car rental place, so taking the 4 p.m. ferry would be ideal. I guess we have no chance of taking the 4p.m. out of Red Hook, but the 5p.m. would be doable. Would be get to STJ in time to get the rental vehicles? Or if we won't be there in time, we'd not risk missing the 5p.m. out of Red Hook and go directly to Charlotte Am for the 5:30 p.m. Anyone else have the same challenges of trying to get to the car rental agency before they close? Appreciate input.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

You won't make the 5:00 Red Hook Ferry.

Many car rental agencies will alow you to take your car even after they close - they just leave the keys in a vehicle for you. You just have to go to town the next morning to do your paperwork. We have to do that almost every year and it's never been a problem.
Mango

Post by Mango »

Have you talked to St.John Car Rental? I think they would probably either have someone stick around till you get there or leave the keys in the car & have you stop by the next morning to do the paperwork.

I had the same flight arrival time in Oct. Headed to Red Hook to catch the 5:00 ferry. Found out that was was also an added-on 4:30 ferry. Had something to do with construction - lots of workers maybe? Someone else may know if that's still running. We had plenty of time to make the 5:00.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We just went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Our flight got in at 3:20 and we made the 4pm CA with no problem. Even waiting 20 minutes to get luggage still allowed us time. Got into STJ @ 4:40, that should leave you time to get your car.

We also heard that there is an extra ferry running Red Hook @ 4:30 pm. But that might be tight to get too, and if it's not running........your out of luck.

I'd go w/4pm CA, BUT definately talk to STJ Car Rental.

Jan (akaCharlie)
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I'd have your agent pick up the keys and don't worry about what ferry you are able to make. There are so many variables you never know what will happen. Your plane could be delayed (or even be early) you just never know. I suggest you have your agent pick up the keys and then you're covered no matter what. Then go down to St. John Car Rental and do the paperwork the next AM.
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

St John Car Rental will not leave the keys in the car for you... they told us that they had a bad experience with that once. They will, however, allow your villa rep to pick up the keys for you, so you might want to go that route if you are running late. Also, it may be possible to make the redhook 4pm IF (1) your flight gets in on time,(2) you don't check bags, and (3)you get your own taxi (the drivers at the airport wil take just your party for the "small" price of $90). We've made it when landing as late as 3:15, but it's not easy!