Experiences with Discount Car Rental on St. Thomas?

Travel discussion for St. John
Amy

Experiences with Discount Car Rental on St. Thomas?

Post by Amy »

Hi all--lurker emerging since we are headed back to STJ for our 3rd trip at the end of August! We have rented from Denzil Clyne twice in the past with no problems, but for a few reasons we want to rent on St. Thomas this time. I've read tons of good reviews of Dependable, but not too much on Discount except for Connie's post (hi from another Philly suburbanite!). We got quotes from both companies for similar Jeeps (4 DR Wrangler and Liberty), and Discount was $100 cheaper. Any experiences good or bad with Discount? Are their cars new? My one worry is a breakdown while we're on St. John--otherwise I love the idea of dumping the luggage right away and not dealing with it again until we get to the villa, as well as buying cheaper groceries on STT.
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I used Discount last June and did not have any problems. The Jeep Liberty was in good shape. I called them from the airport and they picked me up and took me to their shop which is 5 minutes from the airport. I took pictures of the car before I took possession with one of the employees watching me...just in case any questions arose when I returned it. Hope this helps and remember to stay left mon!!!
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

We haven't used them personally but the previous tenant and the current one down stairs both have had longterm rental from them since they are here on 90 job assignments. We have picked both of them up there. They seem to be good people with good service.
Jay
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

We have rented from them the last three years & have had no problems. We arrive tomorrow & will be renting from them again.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Discount also stays open later than Dependable. I have heard only good things about Discount.

Renting STT vs. STJ? You just need to be able to get the vehicle on the car barge if there is a breakdown. Check your spare before you leave the STT car lot!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Connie

Post by Connie »

Discount was great. They had the lowest prices, the Jeep Wranglers we had were clean and had low mileage. We could could also take them over to STJ.

They were prompt in picking us up at the airport and it was easy taking them back.

I'd rent from them again.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

RickG,
Yeah, check the spare... good idea. :wink: We're renting from St. Thomas this time. I have a problem with it (lost the vote out of 10 people) only because of the breakdown variable.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
Amy

Post by Amy »

Thanks for your responses! I think we're going to go with Discount, and I'll be sure to include a review in my trip report after we get back. Good idea to check the spare, Rick!