Anyone attemp a scooter on St John??

Travel discussion for St. John
Nannerz

Anyone attemp a scooter on St John??

Post by Nannerz »

I lived on the little island in the sun for 3 years, back in 1995. I'm headed back for a reunion with my favorite corner of the world in August. question...my boyfriend thinks we should rent scooters while down there. I am afraid a scooter just wont cut some of the hills, especially the STEEP/corkscrew on the way to Maho. :shock: We wouldnt attemp the Maho driveway or anything like that, but what about the main road? I'm leaning toward my gut with a good old jeep!! Am i missing out on the fun and freedom of a scooter? Any suggestions from someone who has experienced this first hand?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I can not, in my wildest dreams, imagine riding a scooter on STJ. If you lived there, you should know better than anyone what it is like to drive on island, I just think that it is way too dangerous.

I was there from 1995 - 2000 (when did you leave?)
Nannerz

Post by Nannerz »

I left in November of 1995. Spent alot of the time at Maho, but towards the end lived in Great Cruz Bay. It's been so long since I've been back. Back then scooters werent a rental option. I remeber the roads being a struggle, but then again thought maybe my young mind was just being wimpy.
I'll go ahead with the jeep...my boyfirned will juST have to trust me on this one. He'll see when we get there!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

who rents scooters?
Nannerz

Post by Nannerz »

Beach scooters, across from the lumberyard.

http://www.beachscooters.us/

They have a location in St Thomas and St John.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I can't help but be amazed when I see people on the "death traps" as I call them - I always say "what were they thinking - obviously newbie's to STJ"

They are only about $10 per day cheaper to rent than a Jeep/4wd so to me it's a no brainer - can't really haul beach chairs and a cooler on the back of one of those - although it would make for a great photo :D

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

wow - no thanks!
Nannerz

Post by Nannerz »

Jeep it is. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking right on this one. Plus, i'd like to explore Rams Head and stop by sand say hi to the people at Estate Concordia.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Sometimes a video is worth a thousand words. Here's a ride up Calabash Boom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PITOhT4n5R0
RickG

Post by RickG »

Road?

Rash!

Cheers, RickG (only one skin graft in my motorcycle days)
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I think the scooter thing is absolutely insane. I don’t remember that scooter rental place existing until the last couple years and I am completely dumbfounded by it. You couldn't pay me to ride one of those things on STJ :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I can tell you that my younger brother (in his late 20's) rented one for the day when my whole family was there, and he said it was pretty scary...especially in the East End.

He is the adventurous type. I wouldn't be caught dead on one there...much less here :lol:
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

No way, Josie....

We did a scooter in Negril where the roads were MUCH better and there was only one questionable hill to contend with & even that was a bit scary (but fun).

We were young and stupid. I would NEVER do it on STJ unless I didn't plan to go anywhere.
Nannerz

Post by Nannerz »

Thanks for the reassurance. I wont be renting the scooters. It would be great for the vacation video no doubt, but a jeep will be so much more dependable. When I lived there, I had 2 friends drive off the hills. They were very lucky, their trucks weren't as lucky. We are going in August, so the island will be pretty deserted, safer driving conditions.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Now I'm on the hunt for a picture :D
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/