First time ever TR, part 3 Skinny Legs

Travel discussion for St. John
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

Brace yourselfs, this is not going to be pleasant....
First off, let me just say we have always been huge fans of Skinnys. From our very first visit when Doug and Moe were the grill cooks and Doug came out to tell
us not to worry cause they have same day service....It
was our first night on St John ever and it was so comical watching the 2 of them . All we ordered was 2 burgers and 2 drinks (the place was empty except for
a couple at the bar and us) and we're watching them work like they were posessed or something. There arms
were flaying all over the place and Doug kept coming out to our table every few minutes to let us know they
had a big 3 day music fest of some kind so they were
kinda pooped but they would get our order out sometime
tonight!!!!We just sat there and enjoyed the show and when our burgers finally arrived they did not disappoint. We have made it a point every vacation to go there at least 2 or 3 times. But this year was such a letdown. Since we stayed in Coral Bay we went there I believe 4 times and ALL 4 times it was BAD. The first 2 visits were night time for dinner and both times the STENCH was horrible. I mean putrid, yukky,barfy...you get the idea. Okay, I get that there was some sort of sewer problem , but on top of that the service was ablolutely the worst ever. We get island time, hey were on vacation, but this was so over the top. I don't know if it was because there was just the 2 of us that we were being ignored, and I mean totally ignored, because several large parties seemed to be getting service. The first night we just sat there till finally we did get waited on (at least we were sitting down!!) And we did leave a 20% tip because , well I'm not sure why. But our next experience was more of the same only this time in addition to the STINKY smell, the lllooonnngg wait, we got shorted $50 bucks when Kathy (I remember her name cause we had her 3 times) gave us our change. I then had to go track her down and before I could even
explain what had happened, she said to me, I shorted you $50 didnt I??? Yes you did. So I am wondering why she didn't come track me down cause we were still sitting in the same place for the past 2 hours. Oh well, mistakes happen, I get that but the same exact thing happened on our next visit!!!!I am not making this up. I could not believe it......very sad. So, if you are paying in cash always count your change,which I always do but my husband would have been out of luck. Let me just end by saying, we will still go back to Skinny's next year and pray there has been a big improvement.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Sorry to hear that you did not have good luck. We were there 2 weeks ago and did not notice smell.

I think that you mean Mo was working, Doug passed away last year.
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

No, it was Mo and Doug. Our first trip to SJ was over 10 years ago. I can still see them back behind the grill just working like crazy...they had given all their help the night off. It still makes me laugh out loud when I think about it!
Xislandgirl

Re: First time ever TR, part 3 Skinny Legs

Post by Xislandgirl »

BAILEYBAY wrote:No, it was Mo and Doug. Our first trip to SJ was over 10 years ago. I can still see them back behind the grill just working like crazy...they had given all their help the night off. It still makes me laugh out loud when I think about it!
I know that Mo and Doug started the restaurant, I know/knew them both well. You mentioned in your report that Doug was running around talking about the music fest, I assumed that it was this trip you were talking about. I had to go back and re-read it to undertsand that you were talking about years ago before the present trip. Sorry
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I don't know when you were there, but I heard the same complaint from someone who was there in the middle of May. We went during the last week in May and were concerned about this. We can check the trip reports for the exact day. My wife, who has a very sensitive sense, did not detect any odor.

Perhaps while all of their plumbing problems were going on they were not up to their normal standards throughout the business.

Hopefully the problem is permanently resolved.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We were there the first week of May. We went there 2 times and came away wondering what all the talk was about in regards to skinney legs. We too were only a party of 2. It took 2 hrs to be waited on and to get our food both times. (We went back the 2nd time, with hopes that the 1st time was a fluke.) Even with island time I felt 2 hrs was a bit excessive. We ordered key lime pie for dessert, and were brought only 1 small piece, and 2 forks, no explanation given. I guess they thought I was too fat. Didn't notice a smell. We were asked to please leave our tip in cash, and not add it to our charge card. Not sure what that was all about. There were lots of lg groups there both times and they spent alot of time with the groups. I must however add: The Sunday that we went to Lamesure Bay, was also the Sunday that Skinny legs has it's annual picnic. They set up right next to us, and double parked behind our car. Nevertheless, they were extremely polite. Were quick to move their cars when we needed to leave. And, when we lost our underwater camera while snorkleing, they returned it to us after it washed up on the beach. So, I don't know what the problem was at the bar. I was extremely grateful to get my camera back and will try skinnys again next time we go.
snorkelprincess

Skinny Legs/bailey

Post by snorkelprincess »

Hi there, this is snorkelprincess;

Just wanted you to know that in '06 we went to Skinny Legg's and I left my purse there!!

Yes, the whole thing along with my license, credit card,SS card, the whole nine!!! ( The drinks were good, yes, and of course left with t-shirts, etc.)Since, I have gotten a passport, but when I got back to the states (ATL, Ga.)my Insurance Co. had left several messages on my cell that a "Moe" fom Skinny Leggs had called claiming that I had left my "pocket book" in the bathroom.

I had recieved it in the mail one week later with EVERYTHING IN IT, including the cash!!!

I since have been back in '07 and have properly re-paid Moe for the fact that that my identity hadn't been stolen and contacted the BBB of the VI for the good samaritan act they did.

I will say we, also, had to wait and the stink was there, however not as bad as you say. But the Bleu Cheese burgers are worth it and I will always go back to them just for the point of it.

In fact, it will be in 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!

Snorkelprincess