Techni-Ice/Carryon

Travel discussion for St. John
texascook

Techni-Ice/Carryon

Post by texascook »

Has anyone carried on a cooler w/techni-ice since the new regulations went into affect? I contacted the company I bought the techni-ice from and they did not know if techni-ice is "illegal" but did classify it as a "gel". I checked American Airlines website and, of course, they said that "gel" was not permitted in carryon, including gel shoe inserts.

Unless someone here has had some experience lately, I guess I'll have to check my cooler rather than carry it one. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
cuddles

Post by cuddles »

I'm not sure what you mean by techni-ice. We were told by airport security that you can take 4 pounds of dry ice in your carry-on. If you are referring to any type of gel-pacs they are not allowed.
jdbcypresstx

Post by jdbcypresstx »

We took a rolling ice chest with Techni-ice on American Airlines about a month ago from Houston to Miami to STT. We did not have any problems. We checked the ice chest. All of our steaks, etc. were still frozen upon arrival. We told the agent in Houston what was in the ice chest and were not questioned further. With the prices in St. John what they were, we figure we saved several hundred dollars.

Have a great trip!
texascook

Post by texascook »

I will check my cooler then. Thanks for the response.