Anyone familiar with Palladio's View? & Newbie Questions

Travel discussion for St. John
waterbaby

Anyone familiar with Palladio's View? & Newbie Questions

Post by waterbaby »

Hello Everyone,

Hubby and I leave one week from today for our first trip to St. John! Woohoo - are we ever EXCITED. I've been reading hear quite a bit, gathering info, and I bought St. John Feet Fins & Four Wheel Drive. As a newbie though, I have a few questions.

Is anyone familiar with Palladio's View Villa in Coral Bay? I've only seen one or two older posts. It's too late now of course, but hopefully we haven't made a poor decision.

Regarding beaches - I need your help - can you tell me which beaches are best for SHADE? I unfortunately cannot sit in direct sun as I am a skin cancer patient. We usually bring our own chairs and umbrella for the beach, but we're trying to go carryon only this trip to avoid waiting in St. Thomas for luggage.

Thanks for any help you can provide! I totally enjoy this forum! Paula
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Hi Waterbaby. We were newbies last year, too, and fell in love with STJ. My husband doesn't like to sit in the sun, so we picked beaches with plenty of shade. Actually, most seem to have lots of sea grape trees to sit under. We found plenty of shade at Maho, Trunk, Jumbie, and Cinnamon. Generally, the villa will have beach chairs, coolers, and towels you can use. You can check with your villa manager to make sure.

Have fun!
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
waterbaby

Post by waterbaby »

Thank you pjayer. Sea grapes serve as the perfect umbrella!
lavender

Post by lavender »

We stayed at Palladios View in May 2005 and loved it! It is definitely used heavily as a rental but it served our needs perfectly and the pool and hottub were great too. You will love it too I am sure - wait until you see the views they are unbelievable!! Almost every beach has wonderful seagrapes that you can nestle right under and stay out of the sun. There were definitely coolers (various) and beach chairs at the villa (not sure about an umbrella though..). Have a wonderful wonderful time!!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Hey pjayer, your husband looks like he enjoys the sun....hehe
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Waterbaby-
There are also shady spots on the Coral Bay side of the island too....If you get to Salt Pond early, you can get a picnic table in the shade. Head to Vie's and you can put your lounge chair in the sea grapes. There is also shade at Lameshur, but its more limited, I think. Pretty much anywhere you go, you can find shade if you are early enough. (Or lucky enough in the afternoon)

Have you seen the new sunscreens with SPF 70? My mom uses them because she has skin/sun issues and it seems to work well. Don't forget to pack a rashguard to wear all the time...the sun is ALOT closer to you on STJ than in Raleigh!

Have a good trip...and GO PACK!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

sherban wrote:Hey pjayer, your husband looks like he enjoys the sun....hehe
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I need to get him some of that 70 sunscreen. He likes the rum punch a lot too. And clothing optional beaches.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
waterbaby

Post by waterbaby »

Thanks, everyone! We're packing as I speak!!

Thanks, lavender. The pictures of Palladio's look good, but I suspect are from when it was brand new. Sounds like it may be a little "tired", but if it's clean and the beds are good, we should be fine.

I won't worry about lugging the umbrella now as it sounds like we'll be able to find plenty of shade.

Thanks, Sun4MySoul, and yes, I have got some great suntan lotion recommended by my dermo - Blue Lizard - great stuff. Plus I have a water shirt and sun protection shirts from Solumbra.