Budget vs. Dependable Car Rental (STT)

Travel discussion for St. John
Tracy in WI

Budget vs. Dependable Car Rental (STT)

Post by Tracy in WI »

I know it has been covered but I can't find a direct answer for this question.

We are going to STJ with two new families in June and will be renting 2 vans on STT to take over on the car ferry. We found them available at both Budget and Dependable and Budget is a bit less.

We have rented from Dependable in the past with no problems. We are leaning towards Budget based soley on the price difference. Does anyone have any good or bad expriences that I should know about?? We would be renting via caribbean-on-line.com (thanks Anthony!)

Thanks!! :wink:
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Pia

Post by Pia »

There has been alot of info on Budget on Tripadvisor (sorry Anthony :) ) recently - general thoughts - Do Not Use - no cars even with a reservation, long waits for cars (over an hour) rude service etc.

I have no personal experience but thought I would pass it on.

Pia
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I reserved a 4-wheel drive Ford Ranger with Budget on STT last September. When I arrived they told me they had no Rangers and were giving me an F-150 in its place. They told me they could never guarantee the availability of any specific vehicle. The F-150 had 2-wheel drive and in fact, the tires were so bald it could not make it up to our villa on wet roads. We went back from St. John the next day to return it and traded it in for a large Jeep of some sort. We really wanted a truck as we were unloading a container and moving dozens of boxes up to the house. On the other hand, I have always been happy with the service and the vehicles I've gotten from Dependable. Given the type of vehicle you're renting, I would feel much better about actually getting that vehicle if I were renting from Dependable.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Ok, so I have an SUV reserved at Budget for next Monday, should I be scrambling to make a change?
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I agree with the above posts. I have rented from Budget twice: had to wait over an hour to get a Jeep on one occasion and next time was told there were no Jeeps and I would have to get a Dodge Durango immediately, or wait two hours for a Jeep.

My experience with Dependable...in high season...no complaints. I will be returning to Dependable.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

My mom has used dependable 2x while staying on STT and loves them!

I have never used them because I am too chicken to take the car ferry.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Surprised to snag a 4 door wrangler at Dependable for a $75 premium over budget. Sounds like it is worth it... Rick - Will 5 adults fit OK in that Wrangler? Luggage capacity?
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Steve S wrote:Surprised to snag a 4 door wrangler at Dependable for a $75 premium over budget. Sounds like it is worth it... Rick - Will 5 adults fit OK in that Wrangler? Luggage capacity?
I would bring bungees to strap stuff to the roof. With five adults it's proabaly going to be tight.

As for Budget v. Dependable. Ive rented from Budget 2x lst summer. "Reserved" an SUV both times. First trip we got a POS white Durango, it was in rough shape, but held together. PS got 5 mpg with the AC running.

Second trip we got to the counter and were told no SUV's, and they couldn't estimate when one was coming in. We had to take a Van instead due to the size of the group and they refused to refund the difference in price because we reserved the SUV on the internet and they are privately owned. Called Budget USA on return and got the same story.

We will not be using them again.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

This is great information (not for Budget!) and I appreciate it! I'm going to push for Dependable for our June trip. We did use them in January without any problems and I would like to do so again - I just need to convince the others.

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

My experience has been very different. I have rented from Budget 8 times. Each time, I got what I reserved, I got a nice Jeep with less than 5000 miles each time, got out of the airport in less than 15 minutes every time but one, and experienced nothing but courteous service. I deviated once and rented from Dependable. They didn't have what I reserved and tried to give me a tiny Sidekick instead for 4 people. I told them I had to have something larger and they gave me a junky vehicle. It also took much longer, having to wait to be picked up, transported to their facility, and then an hour for them to find something to give me.

Just my 2 cents.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

So, we are carry-on only. We like to grab a punch, take a pee, grab a cab and depart the airport within 10 minutes of deplaning. Is the Dependable wait long? We gave them our flight info but they also said to call after landing.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

In our experience it's been generally around 10 minutes after we call. They're close by.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'd give you a 50% chance of either getting the car you wanted, or a car that is 1/2 way decent, one without bald tires, or dirty, or a rude person at the counter.

We're going with dependable from now on.

As far as luggage and jeeps, they really don't mix. 5 people is kind of tight unless they are on the smaller side. There really isn't a big space for luggage and if you get a soft top, putting luggage on top may be tricky.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
RickG

Post by RickG »

Steve S wrote:Surprised to snag a 4 door wrangler at Dependable for a $75 premium over budget. Sounds like it is worth it... Rick - Will 5 adults fit OK in that Wrangler? Luggage capacity?
We got 7 adults (don't try this) in a Wrangler 4 door with our luggage once...

5 adults is comfortabl as long as they are not a XX T-shirt sizes. We carried 6 adults routinely in November with one in the back luggage area.

As for Budget vs. Dependable, we go with Dependable for the 4 door Wranglers. They are wonderful vehicles for STJ.

I call Dependable as soon as we get out of the plane and they are there with the vehicle we are renting by the time I get everyone to the curb (no checked luggage).

I don't have any experience with Budget. But, I understand the scary employee no longer works there and service has improved.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

Hey Rick, do you know if Dependable will rent to my two under 25 honeymooners??? The reports on Budget are kinda scary and they are rookies so I hate for them to have a bad experience right off the bat!
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."