Cinco de Mayo?

Travel discussion for St. John
Ondine

Cinco de Mayo?

Post by Ondine »

Any ideas on what to do on May 5? Maybe the obvious and less obvious choices? Or, am I nuts, and everyone just does the usual, everyday, get drunk at a bar, any bar, theme...
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Hey there Ondine, we used to go to Sam Diegos in Hyannis for shots of tequila and mammoth margaritas!! :D I remember the waitstaff wearing the bottles in holsters...some years ago now.

Enjoy!

Kathy
cinnyb

Post by cinnyb »

This does bring back a vision of St. John last time we were there... I think 2001 or around there... We had just been brought back to the National Park dock after doing the Reef trail and there were all of these people lined up trying to break the cinco de maya tequila shot record for the guiness book of records. Well, they handed out a lot of tequila, but I don't think it was Record Worthy. Was anyone else there? About three weeks to go, I sure bet things have changed, I am so excited to snorkel. Hopefully less has changed underwater.
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

kathy- yeah, that sounds like sam's every night, I think they actually get in the spirit of things for the cinco day ;)

cinny- maybe I can try and reinact your visit, as I might do the reef trail that day, just hope that return boat is going, cause otherwise I'll be sleepin on a beach: the hike back looks beyond brutal!
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Ondine wrote:kathy- yeah, that sounds like sam's every night, I think they actually get in the spirit of things for the cinco day :wink:
I realized after I posted a reply that you were talking 'bout STJ happenings for cinco de mayo! :roll:
Anyway, I LOVE tequila and I'll take any excuse for a celebration to indulge!!
Bug

Post by Bug »

We were on STJ in 2005 for Cinco De Mayo. Our best friends got married on Honeymoon Beach (I think they did it so the Hubby wouldn't forget the date - 5/5/05 hehe).

We really didn't find any places that were having parties for the occasion. They all had some signs and such but no big differences from any other night.

XOXO
Bug
maydreamer

Post by maydreamer »

Hey...I see mention of Sam Diego's....I'm a big fan of the Peach Margaritas! Are you Cape Coddas going to be on St. John for Cinco De Mayo? We are arriving on May 4th and stay until the 11th :D
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Thx Bug- I realized that every day is cinco de mayo on stj, it's probably alot of other days, too. Any excuse to have another drink on an island works. I love the 05/05/05, I'm sure it's for memory reasons!

May- I'll be there Apr30-May7th, maybe we'll meet at the Beach Bar on Sunday, if you make it in time for jazz? Or, I guess Margarita Phil's would be good on the 5th...
maydreamer

Post by maydreamer »

Ondine wrote:Thx Bug- I realized that every day is cinco de mayo on stj, it's probably alot of other days, too. Any excuse to have another drink on an island works. I love the 05/05/05, I'm sure it's for memory reasons!

May- I'll be there Apr30-May7th, maybe we'll meet at the Beach Bar on Sunday, if you make it in time for jazz? Or, I guess Margarita Phil's would be good on the 5th...
Hey Ondine~ We probably won't make it to the Beach Bar in time...Margarita Phil's on the 5th sounds good! Is that in Cruz Bay? :wink:
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Yes, Cruz Bay - next to Mongoose Junction, if I recall, it's just to the right if you are facing MJ. I would imagine it might be busy that particular night, but maybe not since it's no longer officially high season...
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Hey Ondine and Maydreamer...not to hijack this thread or anything, BUT...did you guys go to school on Cape? I'm class of '79 from D-Y. Would be a hoot if I knew ya's from the past :o

Kathy
maydreamer

Post by maydreamer »

Ondine wrote:Yes, Cruz Bay - next to Mongoose Junction, if I recall, it's just to the right if you are facing MJ. I would imagine it might be busy that particular night, but maybe not since it's no longer officially high season...
Ondine-Thank you fellow Cape Codda! :P Can't wait! :)
maydreamer

Post by maydreamer »

Kathyzhere wrote:Hey Ondine and Maydreamer...not to hijack this thread or anything, BUT...did you guys go to school on Cape? I'm class of '79 from D-Y. Would be a hoot if I knew ya's from the past :o

Kathy
Hey Kathy- Sandwich...Class of 81! :)
Last edited by maydreamer on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maydreamer

Post by maydreamer »

maydreamer wrote:
Kathyzhere wrote:Hey Ondine and Maydreamer...not to hijack this thread or anything, BUT...did you guys go to school on Cape? I'm class of '79 from D-Y. Would be a hoot if I knew ya's from the past :o

Kathy
Hey Kathy- Sandwich...Class of 81! :)
Last edited by maydreamer on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

While ya'll are enjoying Cinco De Mayo on STJ, I will be enjoying Jimmy Buffett here at Jazz Fest. Maybe we should set a time to drink a toast :lol: