St. John/Virgin Gorda split

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

St. John/Virgin Gorda split

Post by SuefromMA »

We are thinking of splitting our time in April, 2009 between St. John & Virgin Gorda.

We usually fly in on Saturday & leave the following Sunday. Are thinking of a 5 night stay on St. John & 3 night stay on Virgin Gorda. (Possible 1 night stay at the end of the trip on St. Thomas - making it a 4 night St. John, 3 night Virgin Gorda, 1 night St. Thomas.) Not sure yet on the last night thing - we always enjoy being ON the island we are departing from & being able to get in half a day of water-time - but, might have to sacrifice that this time.

Trying to figure out what is best logistically - Virgin Gorda first or St. John first?

Would love to hear suggestions/comments from anyone who has split things up. For instance, is it best to fly in & out of St. Thomas - or smarter to go in or out of Tortola for one leg of the trip?

Also, any suggestions of ferries versus air flights to get to Virgin Gorda & back to either Tortola or St. Thomas.

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Hi Sue,

Can't tell you how we've done the split but will tell you what we are doing this coming June.

I know a lot of people do STJ first then VG because it is more laid back. We are doing the opposite for our first split trip. 1 night in STT, then 5 nights on VG, followed by 7 nights on STJ, then final night on STT.

We fly into STT and ferry over to VG the next morning, a Tuesday. We chose our dates based on the easiest ferry schedules although I do know many others prefer to fly over. That's not for me, I don't do little planes! We ferry from VG to STJ on a Sunday.

I am sooooo psyched for this trip, I can hardly stand to wait.

So that's my story and I'm stickin to it!!!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

We have done it the other way. We flew in to STT and stayed first 7 nights on STJ.

After that we took the ferry between STJ and VG (operates Thursdays and Sundays) and stayed 7 nights on VG.

All travel days were Sundays. It worked perfectly for us. Our departure home was 1 PM from STT and we were able to make it with the ferrys from VG the same morning, without any overnight in STT.

STJ and VG - what a perfect combination. But it takes away some time, to travel between the islands. The direct ferry from STJ to VG was just a little less than 2 hours, so that was good.
bill

st john/virgin gorda

Post by bill »

A few years ago we did a split. Stayed on tortola and then St John. We have since been to Virgin Gorda and really love it. Liked it better than Tortola. Much nicer beaches!

Having done it this way, I would suggest flying into Tortola, taking the ferry to VG. IT is much less of a hassle than the ferry from St. John to VG.

We stayed for a week on Tortola and then ferried to St John. No hassle. Just make sure you book your stay so it works with the ferry schedule. Then when it's time to leave St. John, just the simple ferry to St Thomas and its back home. I always like less of a hassle going home, its depressing enough.
lavender

Post by lavender »

Hi Sue!! Glad you are planning your next trip to St. John! It is hard to get the islands out of our blood isn't it??!!!!

Regarding the split idea - we did 4 nights on St. John on our last trip (when we met you!) and then went to the BVI's (Cooper Island) for 7 nights. For us logistically it was easier to fly into STT do the deal to get to St. John and then navigate over to the BVI's. We also found that it was quite a bit more expensive to fly into Beef Island than into STT. After our stay in St. John we took the ferry from Cruz Bay over to Tortola and took a cab to the dock where we were departing to Cooper. Then pretty much vice versa on the way back except we went to Charlotte Amalie via the ferry from Tortola. One thing I checked pretty heavily and called and confirmed was the ferry schedules. They don't all run on all days and I know the Virgin Gorda one last I checked ran a limited schedule so be sure and take that into account.

For us going to St John first worked best as (believe it or not) that was the "busier" part of our vacation and by the time we got to Cooper Island we were just in total "relaxation" mode!

Have fun planning (that is half the fun isn't it!!).

Caroline
Lex

Post by Lex »

To streamline travel, the best plan might be to go to VG first. You can fly direct to VG from San Juan on Air Sunshine. Then it's a ferry to STJ and eventually the ferry to STT. It would mean coordinating everything around the VG-STJ ferry days.

We've thought about this since our trip to VG last fall. I might prefer to be on STJ first, but this plan appeals as far as minimizing travel.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi,

We did 5 nights each VG/St John. We flew into St. Thomas and then ferried (via Tortola) to Virgin Gorda. It was a very long travel day. We left Framingham at ~4am and arrived in Virgin Gorda at ~6pm. We went to VG first to avoid the long and multiple connections on the way home.

If you plan it right, you can catch a ferry between VG/St. John. We didn't and had to go through Tortola to get to St. John as well.

We loved Virgin Gorda and will certainly return.
janet
SRT

Post by SRT »

This August we are going to VG first for 8 nights and then to Caneel Bay for 6 nights. If I have my facts straight, we should be able to get to VG by 630PM after arriving in STT at 318PM. Tuesday is one of the few days there is a direct ferry to VG. I decided to do the ferry because Air Sunshine isn't much faster. We leave at 5AM from SD--it will be a long day!!

It just so happens Caneel's ferry goes to Little Dixs on Wednesday allowing us to bum a ride with them on their way back.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Sue - pulled up and copied below itinerary used for Ap 06 trip that was 8 days STJ, 5 in VG.
That was a wonderful combo of time in both places, worth the trouble of transfer, the expense, missing work for 2 weeks, etc. You probably recall the trip report I did (?)
As for logistics, we flew non-stop into STT to start the trip and Air Sunshine out of VG to SJU, which is a real low stress way to get back from VG vs. ferries back to STT (I think nonstop wasnt available back to EWR anyway). That was a very cool flight right up Drakes Passage and past north shore of STJ.

THURS April 20 EARLY depart Cameron Cove Villa to Cruz Bay – turn in car to Penns 7:45am
>> catch 8:30am Inter Island Boat Service (340)776-6597 direct ferry to Virgin Gorda
>> arrive Virgin Gorda 10-11am
>> Meet Mahogany Car rental at Spanishtown dock (car to be billed through Guavaberry)
>> drive to and check into Guavaberry Spring Bay Vacation Homes
• Tel: (284) 495-5227 E-mail: gsbhomes@surfbvi.com
Some dining options Virgin Gorda:
• Top of the Baths
• Giorgio’s Table (lunch only)
• Mad Dog – sandwiches/drinks near Baths
• Rock Café
• Mine Shaft Café – near Copper Mine Ruins south end – great sunsets
Reminder: use AT&T Universal credit card in BVIs = no foreign transaction fees
FRIDAY April 21
>> Dinner = Friday Night BBQ at Leverick Bay Beach on North Shore – arrive earlier to enjoy Happy Hour and get good seats on beach for live music and Mocko Jumbies
SAT April 22 SUNDAY April 23
>> explore Beaches/Baths
MONDAY April 24
>> depart Virgin Gorda 12:30pm Air Sunshine #629 >> arrive San Juan 1:25pm
Air Sunshine Tel: US (800) 327-8900 Puerto Rico & USVI (888) 879-8900
BVIs (284) 495-8900 E-mail: EMail@AirSunshine.com
>> OK to leave rental car at airport per Tina/Valerie at Guavaberry (confirm)

P.S. way too many people asking about VG lately...damn, word is out...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you, everyone!

I really appreciated the comments.

It looks like there is a ferry from Charlotte Amalie to Virgin Gorda at 3:30 on our arrival day of Saturday. We usually are able to get a flight that gets us there by 2 - so, catching that ferry shouldn't be a problem.

It looks like the simplest thing will be to do Virgin Gords for the first 3 nights. Then, it looks like getting from Virgin Gorda to St. John on a Tuesday will have to be via Tortola. But, it looks like there are ferries out of VG at 8, 10 etc & fairly good connecting times in Tortola (except at a quick glance it appears that we may have to get from Road Town to West End - but, that is a fairly quick & beautiful 30 minute taxi ride.) So - all in all, I have convinced myself that getting from VG to St. John (via Tortola) might take 1/2 a day - and at the same time be a nice "water ride".

So, then, 4 nights on St. John & probably last night at Secret Harbour on St. Thomas. MUST do that to get my "guaranteed" turtle sighting - and also have the advantage of having that last FULL morning on being in the water before the early afternoon trek to the airport.

Unfortunately, our vacation time (for this trip) is capped at 8 nights. So, it won't be a lot of time on either island. But, we are sure to get "quality time" in.

Now the efforts continue to find a 4 night villa on St. John (with pool & outside shower preferred - any suggestion)? Or do Gallows Point for the first time - or back to Estate Lindholm. I know that it might be a bit of a challenge to find a villa that will rent 4 nights & not a full week - but, I am sure that we will find some to consider.

Can't believe that we are planning 2009 already. But, like I just told my husband - you snooze, you lose!

Again, thank you all!