Noseeum's - PLEASE HELP

Travel discussion for St. John
Ms.Montana

Noseeum's - PLEASE HELP

Post by Ms.Montana »

I was in St John 4 years ago and went home after two weeks miserable. I LOVED St John and I'm going back next January but I HAVE to figure out a solution to the noseeum's :twisted: . I need advice on how to keep them from biting me not how to keep them from itching. I was there with 3 other people and they were fine so they must just like me. It has taken me 4 years to come back because I was so badly bitten. I have heard a dog's flea collar around each ankle may work. I'm wondering if that's healthy and if it really works. I plan on leaving the beaches by 2:00 every day. Any advice is most appreciated.
stjohnmay2003

Post by stjohnmay2003 »

Get bug spray with deet, keep reapplying
Married- Trunk Bay May 3, 2003
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I feel your pain. I was the one in the group last month. I scratched so hard (I couldn't help it) that I gave myself black and blue marks on my lower legs.

After the second day, I took plain allergy meds, which I think helped the itch and used Deep Woods Off, which I found in a basket on the porch. I didn't get new bites.
sasky

Post by sasky »

I got eaten alive by mosquitos my last trip, despite constant reapplications of bug spray. And my husband didn't get bit ONCE. Or maybe he did and his skin just doesn't react the way mine does. Who knows.

It's no picnic, but I've learned to just deal with it. Sorry I'm no help!
sitter

Post by sitter »

Does taking garlic pills work as well for no-seeums as it does for mosquitos??

I hear you tho....I hate to admit that is one of the reasons for not wanting to go back! I itched for weeks after I came home...

Same thing happened to me in Texas tho....my legs actually swelled up from so many bites....I had to put myself on Benadryl till I go home.

Why do the 'lil buggers like one person over others!??!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I lived with a tube of Benadryl cream in my pocket! It was the absolute "after bite" solution to itching. I don't have anything new to add to repelling them, other than to say some people say all those fruity drinks (esp. banana) attract them to you. Hmmm. I just don't know for sure. It didn't keep me from drinking fruity drinks however! :lol:
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I got attacked the last trip also, It was my fault got too close to the tree line taking photos. I actually saw them swarming my leg! I used Benedryl gell cream. It had a cooling affect and stopped the itch during the night. When I was living in Florida, we used Skin So Soft by AVON. That seemed to work there. I just need to order some for our next trip.
papabou

Post by papabou »

my folks had a fishing camp on ga intercoastal and nosees were awful and i quit going because of them. folks later found and swore using avon "ski so soft" lotion repelled them but i never went back to give them a chance at me.

my only encounter on stj was late in day at francis bay when they got me before i realized. bad as fish camp, so i stayed away from vegatation at beaches late in day thereafter. never had a problem at villas where we have always had great breezes in evening (primarily gifft hill and upper rockridge).

i feel your pain.

papabou
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

I was really excited when I saw this post. I was hoping to get some help also. I've been using Skin-so-soft, bug spray with deet, citronella candles/coils, electric bug zapper, you name it, we've tried it. We're still getting bit. It's not as bad as it was in the beginning, but still spend the evening itching from the bites. And I've been told this isn't the "bad" season. God help me when that hits. HELP!
Deb
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

At the local bars they'll tell you to put gin on your ankles and they often have a bottle of cheap stuff around for you to use.

I personally have had good luck with Burt's Bees insect repellant (but then I'm not a magnet for them), but no matter what you use, apply often, like every hour.

We like Band-Aid anti-itch gel to keep the itching down, but have heard your average over the counter Benadryl works well too.

Old remedy I swear by for the really bad itches, learned from my dad... sprinkle a little meat tenderizer (Accent) in the palm of your hand, tap the end of your finger to the faucet to get just a drip of water, rub drip into Accent to make a paste and grind the paste into the bite. Will leave a gritchy film and you'll probably have to do it again in an hour so so, but it really works. Just don't get into bed before wiping off the grit.

Oh, and you shouldn't have to leave the beaches by 2:00. I think you'd probably be fine until at least 4.
Jennifer

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am a serious bug magnet also. Here are some of the things that have worked for me.

1. Keep a bottle of the benadryl spray on stuff in your villa fridge. If you get bitten, it really helps calm the itching, and the coolness feels great.

2. Ruth sells these bug patches at St. John Spice, I think they are vitamin B. They really worked for me. I was getting eaten alive last June, but after I applied one of those patches, the biting really calmed down. I wore them constantly during our October trip and I don't think I got bitten once. My first stop off the ferry next month is going to be St. John Spice for a supply of those patches.

3. If it does not freak you out, apply small amounts of deet around your ankles.

4. Deep woods off. Lots of deep woods off.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

Laimsaunt - How often do you have to apply the vitamin B patches? I wonder if it would help to load up on Vitamin B before I left???? Thanks everyone for your suggestions :D . I'll be doin' them all!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Ms.Montana wrote:Laimsaunt - How often do you have to apply the vitamin B patches? I wonder if it would help to load up on Vitamin B before I left???? Thanks everyone for your suggestions :D . I'll be doin' them all!
I think each patch lasts for 48 hours. Or else it is 72 hours. It does say that it will take about 12 hours after you put it on to start working. I saved one from October and have it ready to slap on the night before we leave!

I have heard that if you start taking a b-supplement about a month prior to your trip that it helps also. I might try that this time.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Great suggestions, all – I'm taking notes! :)

Two reasons that women may get bitten more than men: men's arm & leg hair probably serves as a bit of a "shield", and also women tend to use scented body washes, perfumes, lotions, and shampoo. It would probably help to avoid fragrances while on-island (although I don't recommend growing your leg hair!) :lol:
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

On our last trip (June 2007), out of the 5 of us, my teenage son was the only one to get bitten. Im going to stop at Ruth's and get him those patches this June. He didn't complain but the bite marks were HUGE. He was the only one who did not have an air conditioned bedroom and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it?