STJ Driving on youtube

Travel discussion for St. John
jac w

STJ Driving on youtube

Post by jac w »

I don't know who posted this, but it's a great little clip of driving on St. John. I try to explain to people the driving - now I'll just send them here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PITOhT4n5R0
sitter

Post by sitter »

Yup...that's how I remember it!!

That's where we learned to Pray MORE!! While driving on St. John roads!
toni

Post by toni »

Am I right that it's the road by Calabash Boom? Looks like the one we took to get up to Sago Cottage. It was fun! :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

whew
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Yup, that's Calabash Boom alright. My butt hurt just thinking of that drive. Sago Cottage was the next driveway after this driver turns to the right.
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

Does anyone know the name of the villa that is the final destination on the video?
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

If anybody rents a red Jeep Wrangler from St. John rentals please send me my wife's fake fingernails which should still be embedded in the passenger side dash :lol:
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

After watching that, I think I need to take Bonine prior to driving as well as boating!
Diane

Post by Diane »

RJ in Wisconsin,
The name of the villa is Mooncottage. We stayed there last July. It's a very private, incredible villa for two. The big drawback for us was no AC. The website is mooncottage.com and the owner Brian will answer any questions promptly. We rented through VIVA, but they no longer manage the property.
Diane
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

Thanks, Diane - I had no idea Moon Cottage was right on that Calabash Boom Road. Isn't that also the same road where you reach Windwardside?
Do you (or anyone) know the names of any other villas on that road? (As mentioned above, Sago is also reached via this road.)
We drove up this road when we were in St. John in March. Would love to stay in this area - the views are amazing.
Thanks again.
RJ
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
ILoveTheIslands

The Drive...

Post by ILoveTheIslands »

Wow! That brings back some great memories! We'd stay at the Astral Cottage, which is drive just before this one.
Thanks for the drive down memory lane :lol:

PS- for those of you who have not had the privelage of making this drive, DON'T stop on the steep parts. We were going back to the house one night after dinner, and had to stop for the donkeys crossing the road. Even with the jeep in 4WD, we slid backwards about 6 feet, before the jeep found enough grip to start back up the road...
Not a wonderful feeling, but a small price to pay for the views..
Diane

Post by Diane »

RJ,
Sorry, but I don't know the names of any other villas on this road. We didn't know there were any other villas on that side of the island, it was that private. We never saw or heard anyone else during our stay. Yes, the views are incredible. Maybe the management for Sago could tell you some names of other villas in the area.
Diane
BillyD

Calabash Cribs

Post by BillyD »

RJ,

A few other houses on this road are Palladio's view and at the very top resides The Castle - both exceptional spots.

It's not too bad a trek - 10-12 minutes to the Castle gate if you keep moving - a bit longer coming down (for me at least).