Does the Weather Vary Greatly in Different Parts of STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
turtlegirl

Does the Weather Vary Greatly in Different Parts of STJ

Post by turtlegirl »

Does the weather vary depending on your location on the island? For example, could it be raining on the North Shore while it is sunny in Cruz Bay or vice versa? What is the most likely weather variation scenario? :oops: :( :x :shock: :evil:
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

When we were on STJ in May, the weather could be very different depending upon where you were. Pouring rain in one spot, sunny in another, and cloudy in yet another. We would have a rain deluge that hit while we were at Miss Lucy's, but Cruz Bay didn't get any rain. We had downpours in Coral Bay several times that didn't hit the Cruz Bay side. Very localized rain showers seemed to be the norm.
JT

Post by JT »

You can get a huge difference going around a hillside. That's why the car rental places don't want you to go topless.
Also, drunk fronts move in very quickly.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yep - decided to go to Honeymoon today and upon arriving sat in wind, wind, wind with a rain shower - went to Maho.......beautiful :D

Pia
RickG

Post by RickG »

Just like Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii, you have to watch out for snow and ice at elevations above 9,000 feet on Bordeaux Mountain. You can rent chains at the pass if it gets too slippery.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Thanks, Rick, I'll be sure to bring my skis. :lol:
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

The weather can vary greatly, but if you are asking if there is particular part of the island that is "nicer" I think the answer is no.

We stay over in Fish Bay, on the South Shore. There are times that we look behind us and can see that it is pouring over by the North Shore, while it is perfectly sunny where we are. But, it seems as though different parts of the island take turns with their weather. If that makes any sense.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Makes total sense. Now I understand there's varying weather but it's random, not based on geography (ie some islands are rainier up North while drier South)
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

turtlegirl wrote:Makes total sense. Now I understand there's varying weather but it's random, not based on geography (ie some islands are rainier up North while drier South)
Exactly! That's what I was trying to say...it's random.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

JT - What's a "drunk front"?
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

RickG wrote:Just like Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii, you have to watch out for snow and ice at elevations above 9,000 feet on Bordeaux Mountain. You can rent chains at the pass if it gets too slippery.

Cheers, RickG
I hear the ice fishing can be pretty good on Maho Bay.
JT

Post by JT »

Steve S wrote:JT - What's a "drunk front"?
Steve, I'm sure that I can't give you a scientific dissertation in the same manner as RickG can, but I'll tell you from experience that drunk fronts come in with brain-numbing and blinding speed! Instead of pouring like cats and dogs, drunk fronts pour rum, and more rum. Sometimes they are preceded by a hurricane. I hope this lay-men's explanation helps.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

Doesn't it seem that the eastern side of the island (Coral Bay) is more arid then the north? Maybe that side gets less rain? I've just noticed that there are less cacti on the north where the forest seems more lush/dense. It's not a huge difference like on some islands though. The eastern side is certainly not desert by any means.
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

My guess is that it has more to do with the angle of the sun than different rainfall amounts.

The south side of the island gets more of the sun's direct rays, especially in the winter.

I don't think St. John has high enough mountains or is large enough to create weather variations like there are in the Hawaiian islands.

I could be wrong though, maybe some locals can shed some light (no pun intended).
Bosco

My December Experience

Post by Bosco »

We stayed at Maho camps the 2nd week of December last year. It rained the entire week. Every morning we would get in the jeep and drive over to the west end or coral bay, and without fail, the sun would be out over there.