Best Unit at Gallows? Fall trip

Travel discussion for St. John
krislbi

Best Unit at Gallows? Fall trip

Post by krislbi »

Hello all,
Just returned on Saturday from a week w/the whole family and sorely need a vacation if you know what I mean...let's just say that it's a whole different world with a one and a three year old. Between bug bites that swelled to the size of golf balls to my baby's crib falling apart while she was in it, I have already started thinking about our trip in the fall sans children. That being said, can anyone give me their two cents about the best unit at Gallows? We stayed there last fall and booked thru Richard at Suite St John. Not opposed to using him again-good guy-but thought I'd check w/you experts as to which unit (therefore which rental agency) to look into booking first. Just saw flights out of Newark for $248 for October! That being said, does anyone know if it really is direct or if they change it to a connection as it gets closer to the travel date? The flights out of Philly are pretty pricey and I hate USAir.
As always, thanks for advice/input.
Not sure if you guys will want my trip report as it was not the best trip...sorry! Although, we did do a day w/Lion in Da Sun which made it all worth while. :)
jmq

Post by jmq »

We've been in lower ocean in units 1 and 3 and liked both.
Unit 3 is out on the point and it is pretty tough to beat the views from there.
Look for the pay for 5 stay 7 nights deal later in the off season starting I think in Aug.

Unit 3 is in the right side of this photo taken from Unit 1 balcony, ground floor. Note that land slopes up at that end of property so the ground floor Unit 1 is almost as high as upper level of 3.
Last edited by jmq on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I'm not sure which one is the unit that sticks out the most on the point on the ocean side, but it is THE best. Do get an upper unit for the view. It's either unit 3 or 4, but I can't remember exactly because it was 15 years ago. Villas from now on, but Gallows is great and you will love it. Very romantic! 8)
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Unit 3 is the one that sticks out furthest on the ocean side. Here is a link to a map that might give you a better idea of the layout.

http://www.gallowspointresort.com/virtual_site.html
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

jmq -
I'm sold on Gallows for our early Oct trip. I'm all over the pay for 5, stay for 7 type of deal. Are those usually offered in the June timeframe for the later summer/early fall months?
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

In my opinion, there are pros and cons to both harborfront and ocenafront units. Later in the season I feel that the harborfront suites get a better breeze but they do get more noise both from ferry traffic and night sounds from the Beach Bar. That's not really an issue if you close up and turn on the a/c but if you like leaving the windows open you will hear some noise if you are a moderate to light sleeper. I think the first ferries crank up around six am. Having said that, if you are early risers, like us that is no problem and we enjoyed listening to the music at a distance from our balcony. I also really love the harbor view and just hanging out watching the activity.

The oceanside units are great, too with a view of St.Thomas sparkling like a jewel box at night. 8 and 9 overlook the pool as well, that can be good or not. I've found that most families in our experience at Gallows respect the request for quiet at the pool but there are the occasional screaming banshees being ignored by their ill-mannered parents (sorry....pet peeve). I believe that 5 and 6 are right in front of Zozo's and noise can be an issue there but I'd think that wraps up by midnight. We liked 2 and 3 and most recently 9C was beautifully appointed, and we were not bothered at all by noise, although we did hear the early morning car barge. Hope that helps.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We stayed in 2C in 2005 and loved it. I think 3 would be my first choice though. However, I don't think you could get a bad view in any of the units.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Agent99 wrote: We liked 2 and 3 and most recently 9C was beautifully appointed, and we were not bothered at all by noise, although we did hear the early morning car barge. Hope that helps.
Car barge? Didnt think that was an issue anymore with them coming into the new car barge dock well around the point from Gallows.
When the car barges used to come and go from the town dock, we heard em loud n clear even all the way up at Estate Lindholm. They were certainly louder than the passenger ferries. Not to pick nits, but perhaps that is what you heard?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

Ok, need to revive this topic-for those that have stayed in the harbor views-I called and 11 and 13 are available. I was going to stay in one of the ocean uppers but I am now thinking that for the difference of $500, I can use that toward my BVI boat day! So, anyone have an opinion on 11 vs 13? The woman I talked to recommended 11. Thoughts? BTW, I know I'm thinking too hard about htis...
traveler22

krislbi

Post by traveler22 »

If you are a light sleeper you might not like the harbor side, even for the price. You can hear the music from town at night and more importantly the FERRYS run fron 6:30 am to 12 midnight and you will hear that 1st one start up :cry: . I have stayed at both and prefer the ocean view but if you opt for harbor go with #11 its further from the road. Another vote for unit #3, its the best 8)
petepie

Post by petepie »

Stayed in 3D in 1999 (looking at unit 3 from the St. Thomas side, it's the upper right), and I think it was the best unit, furthest out on the point, not too close to the pool, so people weren't wandering around in front, right on the water, great sunsets over St. Thomas.
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

If I were to stay in an Ocean view-is lower unit out of the question? Also, does anyone know who rents unit 3? If it's Gallows then it's N/A as the woman told me ocean view upper availability was for 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

If I'm not mistaken ,it's been awhile, the only difference between the upper and lower units is that the upper has the loft and maybe a little better view because of the height but they still all have a great view. I would go with any of the ones you listed other than #9 because it is by the pool and you will get more traffic by your unit.
brenda

Post by brenda »

If I were you, I would go with 11. You will still get a decent view of the sunset to your left. We always stay in upper harbor units. Have stayed in 11C three times and 10C twice. You won't get that much noise at all closer to the "point". No way will I pay all of that extra money for the ocean views. You will hear the ferrys early, but they never bothered us. We are in 14C in November, well into the harbor. That was all that was available for upper harbor units. As long as I am on STJ, it's all good. I would use the extra money saved for a boat trip like you mentioned.
Going "home" again October 26th!
suzi

Post by suzi »

We stayed in the lower unit of 9 and loved it. It did have great views ( not like the top unit, but still nice) I loved being able to whip up some drinks and walk right out the front, right to the pool. It's not as private as 3, but very convenient.
the disadvantage to staying on the top floor, is that you have to walk all the way around the buildings to get in the doors for the top.
In my opinion, that building by the pool, that faces sorta on the harbor and sorta on the oceanfront is perfect. ( dont know the number) the upstairs is private, but the stairs to the upper faces the pool.