cheapest accomodations?

Travel discussion for St. John
Ondine

cheapest accomodations?

Post by Ondine »

I'm thinking of one more/last trip to STJ before a major relocation later this summer. My first was pretty epic, and spent more than 2 weeks there, got bitten by the bug, and want one more dose on a more modest budget:
From what I can tell the following appear pretty low in price for the first week of May:
Maho Camps
Concordia
Any others that I should check? Thanks, and thanks for giving me such inside scoop that I'm now addicted to this island!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Try Sailview - full a/c, beautiful and clean :) (you will need a car)

http://www.sailviewstjohn.com/

Pia
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Thanks Pia,
Sailview looks lovely, and I certainly do like the Coral Bay area much more than Cruz. I am hoping to be on or near water, so Concordia which I love, might do it, but didn't know of other options out there...
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

If Sailview is unavailable, try this:

http://www.vrbo.com/79945

We stayed there last year and really liked it. $800 in May.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Heres an old post I have bookmarked for cheap stays
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?p=48798
RickG

Post by RickG »

On the water? That's tough. How about a bare tent site at Cinnamon Bay? $27 per day plus $7 per additional person.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

We loved the Concordia Studio we had in November. It was bigger than we thought and the view was great!!!Wish I could get back there this year.  :(
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Thanks for so many options, I didn't realize there were so many modestly priced villas. I'll have to weigh each one. I absolutely love Concordia, but you definitely do without some of the modern conveniences in the eco-tents, not always a bad thing!
RickG-Yes, I thought of Cinnamon, but not sure I really want to tent it on an island. But, certainly can't get much cheaper than that!

I promise to post my trip report and pics from Feb. before I book my May trip, fair trade? :wink:
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I think these two are cute, small and affordable. Love the one with the pool, esp. for the $$.

http://www.tropicaltreehouse.com/
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Thanks Flip-Flop, those look very nice, what a great location. So many choices, I may just have to be an annual STJ'er to do it all!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Check out Caribsurf. It's a tidy efficiency apartment that sits almost on Frank Bay just past the Gallows. It is right next to Coconut Coast Studios and is separated from the beach by the road.

http://stjohntour.com/Villa-Rentals/Caribesurf.htm
Mary L

Post by Mary L »

I have stayed at Tropical Treehouse and I would NOT recommend it.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I am totally loving this thread! I was checking out Hummingbird Villas and I noticed it says the windows in Seagrape are "wrought iron" no glass. I suppose bugs could be a huge problem there. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks!
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

CG, et al, Hummingbird is actually where I stayed in Jan/Feb, I stayed in the Bananaquit villa/apt. The space itself was nice, but I was not overly impressed. The bed was not the most comfortable, the blender did not work, and most important for me: the jacuzzi was not operational and you have very little privacy, since the villa owner lives right upstairs in an open air style house! She was very nice, but no effort was made to remedy the jacuzzi. Maybe I just caught this on a bad week, because it would seem that it would be quite good otherwise. Nice layout of space, large tile shower, Great location, you can walk into town and not deal with a car. Hope this helps. With all of the ideas/recommendations, I'm weighing my options for a May trip :D