Gift Hill

Travel discussion for St. John
sailorgirl

Gift Hill

Post by sailorgirl »

In 8/05 we stayed on Gift Hill. The guest book in the Villa recounted a break in incident in the Villa a few weeks before. The doors to the bedrooms bore evidence of attempts at break in's, although we had no problems, we made sure the doors and windows were locked at night and when we went out. Some locals attributed problems on Gift Hill to what they described as a "low income" housing project just opening. Does anyone have any more recent info regarding security issues on Gift Hill. We are planning a return trip in 7/07 and loved everything else about our time there and would definitley consider another Villa in this area, but for these concerns.

Thanks for the help.
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

It's my opinion that the new affordable housing community (Bellevue) has not caused crime in the area. Break-ins seem to go from neighborhood to neighborhood, and do not seem to be concentrated in one area. Seems to me that kids get bored in one neighborhood and break into surrounding homes/condos/apartments, and then the same thing will happen the next neighborhood over. I'd say there is no one place on the island where it's guaranteed that you will, or will not, be broken into. As always, use common sense, don't do anything you wouldn't do at home, and you should be fine!
AquaGirl

Staying on Gifft Hill

Post by AquaGirl »

We stayed at the Coconuts Villa on Gifft Hill in May of this year and loved both the villa and the location. The villa was right next to the "main" road going across Gifft Hill and there was occasional noise from construction trucks, but it was minmal and didn't bother us. (I recognize that some people on the forum do not like this location.) We talked at length to the person who owned the villa next door, and lives at the end of the street. She said it was very safe there. A number of people who live on that street are full-timers so there are generally always people around. There was a break-in and robbery (while the people were in the villa) on the island the week we were there, but it was in Rendevous Bay (I think), not in the Gifft Hill area.
We saw the neighborhood you are referring to and drove through it. My memory is that the houses are all well kept and nice looking. There were some children playing and riding bikes.
I would stay in that area again.
Just my 2 cents.
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

Bellevue is a mix of income levels and while there is a max. income for each family, there is also min. income. They are 3 & 4 bedroom homes upstairs with one or two bedroom apartments downstairs. The families in the upstairs have the option to buy after 15 years.
Eric on St John
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Thanks for all the info. The Bellevue indeed looked well maintained when were were there. I just wanted some additional input. As New Yorkers we don't scare easily and have a pretty good sense of how the stay safe. Sounds like common sense rules the day.

Thanks again
Rachelle & Joe

Gift Hill

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

We were in st.john this past May for over 3wks. stayed at a Beautiful newer villa cielovista, (carefreegetaway's.com) Can't say enuf about villa & gorgeous view of st.thomas!!! check out thier own site stjohncielovista.com or carefreegetaways.com. Anyway it was our second stay on Gift Hill, the first being at coconuts villa 2 yrs.ago.... Didn't realy care for bedrooms in different building!also Was not to happy to see our bedroom door near lock totally gouged up as if someone was realy trying hard to get in, probably knowing the safe is located in this room!well we alway's kept an eye open but one nite upon returning to villa I walked staight out to deck only to come face to face with a man that immediately took off running to side of house & out! we called police & no one came out to check.... we were very uncomfortable after incident & thankful that we were to leave within two day's. We did let the rental agency know & I also wrote about it in guest book! Being a tourist ,I know I would want to be aware of a situation ! Anyway last yr. we stayed only up the road from coconuts as I mentioned cielovista & we still think Gift Hill is a Great Location for us! St.John is our no.1 pick for favorite island but running a close race is Anguilla which we will return to next May for the second time! Crime & Theft is everywhere! One must alway's have a heads up whether at home or traveling. Be Safe & enjoy, Joe&Rachelle