St. John roads

Travel discussion for St. John
RastaBabe

St. John roads

Post by RastaBabe »

One of my fav site (besides this one of course)is On St. John. I love those guys! But watching some of the Jeep Cam videos the roads all seem so narrow like just enough room for one car/jeep. Is this true or is it just me???? :shock: :D
I would love to spend the rest of my life in shorts, flip flops and with a drink my hand on a nice beach!
augie

Post by augie »

While they are likely narrower than the roads you are used to, I can vouch for the fact that a jeep and a cement truck or a bus can both round a curve in opposite directions on a curve without either one plummeting off of a cliff or blazing a new trail up a hill!
Come see us!
Mango

Post by Mango »

It depends on which video you're talking about. The North Shore Rd. is narrow & twisty but there's plenty of room for 2 vehicles (including trucks). Rock Ridge Rd. & Chocolate Hole Rd. are narrower, but in most places roomy enough for 2 vehicles. In some sections of the side roads it may be neccesary to pull onto the shoulder or a driveway for the other car to pass. Just makes the drive more interesting!
theoverman

Post by theoverman »

on our first trip in the late 90's we were serious newbies and rented a place way out on the south shore overlooking reef bay...the roads were terrible potholed mud strips cut into the hillside with some dizzying drops...my wife thought i was nuts for bringing her and two little kids to this remote outpost...then we discovered the rest of the roads are really great for driving and when you hear the beep,beep around the bend you'll know someone is heading your way...btw/there are a couple of extremely steep switchbacks that only add to the fun...it's a blast...we're heading back in a month and i can't wait to hop in my jeep and go.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Yeah they're somewhat narrow, depends on where, but any 2 civilized drivers can handle the width, no problem.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it always cracks me up when everyone talks about how treacherous the roads on St. John are. Where I live we have roads like that all over the place! After I went up Jacob's Ladder I was still looking around for a steep hill. I took this picture last weekend about 15 miles from my house. They are reinforcing the cliff and putting up a barrier after 40 years because they're tired of fishing cars out of the ravine.

patr

Post by patr »

If you think STJ roads are treacherous - check out Stremnaya Road in Bolivia: (there is a dispute here, some people think these pics are from China or others think near La Paz Mexico) who knows, I sure wouldn't want to find out! :shock:

http://www.slideshare.net/rado_fun/driv ... ivia-14171
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~