Our water day - would LOVE your suggestions

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Our water day - would LOVE your suggestions

Post by PA Girl »

We are going out with a captain (motorboat) during our next trip and I am looking for suggestions on what to do, where to eat and drink and any other tips/opinions fellow forumites feel like throwing out.

Hubs and I have already done the Baths and the newbies didn't seem too interested in committing that much time to one place so no Virgin Gorda this trip.

We did a sail in 2005 that ended up being a very slow motor (no wind) so we only saw Jost and one snorkel stop, which unfortunately was awful due to the weather conditions and rough water.

The only thing we know for sure is that we will hit White Bay after lunch and stay put the balance of the day.

We definitely want a relaxing lunch on land. What is the difference between Foxy's Great Harbor and Foxy's Taboo?

We visited Foxy's Great Harbor in 2005 and it was ok. Very quiet that particular day so I am thinking between the two, we would go to Taboo just for a change of scenery.

Another thing we are considering is Cooper Island. Our local paper mentioned it on Sunday and it looks interesting. I have no idea how far it is in relation to Jost and St. John. Anyone ever been there?

Peter Island looks close on the map and that might be interesting as a lunch stop. Any thoughts?

Where is Sandy Cay in relation to Jost? I can't find it on the maps I have book marked.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Lunch at the Willy T was great in November. The food was quite good. John Brandi of Palm Tree Charters did great by us.

Foxy's Taboo is a nice spot and you can walk around. But, they're pretty slow.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

A friend of mine (pmak on the forum) goes to STJ yearly and pretty much lives on the boat. He highly recommended Willy T's to us, as well as snorkeling at the Indians and the Caves (both near Norman Island.) We didn't get to do any of those (didn't leave US waters), but they sound great. He also likes Sandy Cay. (Sandy Cay is off the south east end of Jost.)

We did some snorkeling by Congo Cay and Henley Cay that was great. (These don't take long to get to; we only had 1/2 day on the boat.)

Your captain will be able to make recommendations based on the current surf conditions.

Have fun!!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Here is a map showing Sandy Cay, down in the lower right corner:

captainjay

Post by captainjay »

For what you have described. I would go to the Indians and snorkel first. Go to the Willy T's have cocktails and lunch. A leisurely ride back to White's Bay and try to drink the Soggy Dollar out of business. Then leave and hour or so to cruise down to Sandy Spit on the way home. :)

Jay
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

I second Captain Jay's itinerary - sounds great! We'll be boating that same week with Lion in Da Son. We're going out Thursday - which day are you planning?

PS Note my trip counter - how exciting! 1 month to STJ!!!!!!!
NancyB
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

I think Sandy Cay is a must-see. It was truly beautiful for us.
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

The food was excellent at Taboo on the day I was there. The service was slow, but we walked out to Bubbly Pool which was worth the trip. I also second the suggestions of snorkeling the Caves (if the water isn't rough) and checking out Sandy Cay. Have fun!
lavender

Post by lavender »

We stopped at Cooper Island for lunch when we were on a daytrip. We loved it there - great lunch - great drinks - great view. My hubby says the problem might be that if you stop you might never want to leave!! We actually ended up going back our following year and stayed a week. Wherever you go you will have a great time!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Thanks all. I printed it out for reference. I will look to the Captain for suggestions based on weather/conditions at the time.

NancyB - we are going Tuesday
RickG

Post by RickG »

PA Girl wrote:Thanks all. I printed it out for reference. I will look to the Captain for suggestions based on weather/conditions at the time.
Very good idea, the Captain will have an opinion. We asked John Brandi to take us to Taboo for lunch and he talked us into the Willy T instead. It was a great lunch and we got to do Sandy Cay on the way to White Bay.

We are booked with him again in March and will ask his opinion again. If he recommends the same again I am cool with that.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Here's my 2 cents.

I like Sandy Spit. Snorkeling between it and Green Cay is quite good.

If you go to Taboo, make sure you go to the bubbly pool. It's neat, if you've never seen it. They'll give you directions at Taboo.

Sydney