Petroglyph Tatt

Travel discussion for St. John
greyhoundmom

Petroglyph Tatt

Post by greyhoundmom »

O.k., here's the scenario. You have a son whose almost 21 - he's been to STJ for 2 years as a visitor, last summer as a Maho Bay worker. He's wanted a tattoo of one of the petroglyph symbols for years....mom always says (because I don't think he'll do it), when you go, I'm right there with you. The reply has always been, "Mom, you won't do it". Well.....this weekend we drove to Ink Links in
Charlotte and guess what???? Not only did Mr. almost 21 get an amanzing tatt on upper arm with shading but greyhoundmom now has a smaller petroglyph tatt under one shoulder blade in turquoise blue with a darker blue outline. Can I just say that I so rock!!!??? Have never been a huge fan of tatts but felt strongly enough about STJ (and bonding experience with my boy)to do this one thing. Needless to say, baby boy thinks his mom rocks and mom is feeling really rebellious with her new ink! Life is good, being in your 50's and doing something totally out of character is awesome! It's cool to pay tribute to the one place that we totally "get".
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I want to see a pic!
Chip just got a tattoo on his back with the logo from our honeymoon resort in Virgin Gorda.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Hey thats great that you and your son got that, I'd love to see some pics.
I want to get a petroglyph tattoo but can't get a clear picture of it anywhere, only because I want it to look as close to a real one, not an artists rendition.
Thank for sharing! have a great day.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

When my wife turns 40 in a few years, she wants a petroglyph tattoo. I will be joining her in getting one. I was never a fan of them, but, as mentioned above, feel a connection to St John and feel that's a good way to "honor" it.
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

That's great ... so proud of you !!!

What a great way to bond with your son over something - St. John - that will be in your soul (and on your bodies) forever.

As a 50 something mom ... it's makes me want to get one too. :wink:

By the way ... How did your son like working at Maho?
Bug

Post by Bug »

Be careful ~ you can't stop with one!!! Ask me, I know. Number 8 soon come :shock:

I should mention that all are stratigically placed as to not be seen unless I want them seen :wink:

XOXO
Bug
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

A couple of years back, I was at a spa that did mehndi (not spelling it right - the henna tat thing) art and I showed the artist my petroglyph earrings and she did vines, incorporating the petroglyph in the design, that started on top of my foot and wound around my ankle. It was fun living like a wild child for a few weeks!
Bug

Post by Bug »

Oh, I also failed to mention that after ink comes piercings :shock: :shock:

XOXO
Bug
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

:D Thanks for all of the positive feedback! Honestly, I was a big wimp, wrestling with whether I should do it, would I like the end result, how much pain was involved, etc. Once he started the outlining and told me not to move, I kept waiting for intense pain...after a few minutes, I said, "that's as bad as it gets?" Really quite manageable!

Jorge, what's the Milf bar?

Xisland Girl and Dave-a-roni - I'll take pics with my new cell phone, then try to figure out how to post them (I'll admit I'm a little challenged with pics, do I send them to the website address - don't laugh!)

Onthelake - Honestly, I think son enjoyed Maho more from the visitor's perspective. Worked and sweated his tootie off but met some great people also working.

Bugblu98 - Everyone tells me the same thing - can't stop with just one! Wow, 8 - I'm impressed!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Hi Greyhound mom,
You may have inspired me! I live in Charlotte-where in SC are you? Anyways huge St. John lover-we have been 8 times (I think!) My friends are SO sick of hearing about it I am sure.

Anyways, I just might have to think about that! Wear the St. John jewelry every day. Might need to make it permanent!

Susan
augie

Post by augie »

When Leslie turned 40 she got a beautiful eagle ray tatt. If you've ever been around her after she's had a few drinks, especially if the topics fish/rays/diving/snorkeling/islands/tattoos/midlife crises/etc. have come up, then you've likely seen it. :roll:

I figure one or two more trips to St. John and there will be a petroglyph, or a pirate, or a donkey, or a map of STJ joining it!

blu - I don't think she'll ever get to the piercings, but she's surprised me before, so who knows?
Come see us!
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Hi Susan, I'm in Columbia so about an hour's drive to Ink Links. It's on E. Independence in a shopping center. Not the greatest looking place on the inside but son had seen a lot of their work and was impressed. We were there when they opened on Sat. at 11 so not a long wait. They had to ask what the drawing was, had never done one before.

Augie, your wife's eagle ray tatt sounds awesome. Mine is pretty simple, the petroglyph that's shaped like ram horns in a great teal green with darker blue outline. My son's has more detail and shading.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Moms rock! We checked out Octopus Ink on STJ (down past where Love City Surf Shack used to be, ground floor. The woman who runs it apprenticed in NYC and STT before opening her shop. She's the cousin of a good friend here in DC. Ok, this year I'm goin' in to sit on the chair!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

You are the coolest GHMom! I got my first and only tattoo at age 35. (Dolphin jumping thru moon, right ankle). Im thinking Im ready for another at 46. I like the sounds of the one you got!!