Dec warm enough for water

Travel discussion for St. John
herewego

Dec warm enough for water

Post by herewego »

Thank you everyone! This was a tremendous help. Im 99% sure its going to be Tarn. Now Im concerned about the weather being warm enough to snorkel. This is the main reason for going. Would going in Nov, Jan. or Feb make a big difference? Thanks for any info!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I don't have a problem with the water temp in the winter but I'm coming out of Wisconsin.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I would think that one of those long sleeve rash guards should be enough, if you would even need that.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

We go every year the first week of Dec. The water temp is not bad at all but the Christmas winds are kicking up by then. Felt a little cold when getting out of the water. Also we found the visibility not great this time around. Tried snorkeling Hawksnest twice with no luck. The waves were too strong. Did have better luck on Salt Pond bay where it was less windy.
We tried Maho and visibility was not great the day we went.
The 2 previous years it was great! Still had a great time and I love going right before Christmas. Not very crowded and enjoy shopping for presents while I'm down there.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Personally I dont snorkel from November-March as it is toooo cold for me :lol: but I would think a rash guard or a thin "skin" would be a great help :)

Pia
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Come on Pia a hot blooded red head like you I would think you would warm up the water :lol:
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

November was plenty warm. I never got chilled.
but I am from WI too. We have single digits here today.
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Pia wrote:Personally I dont snorkel from November-March as it is toooo cold for me :lol: but I would think a rash guard or a thin "skin" would be a great help :)

Pia
Pia,
How long will it take me to get like that. We dive without wet suits in November. Diving in Feb I wear a dive skin.
Jay
Coden

Post by Coden »

We never had a problem last year at Christmas with the water being too cool at any of the beaches that we went to. Good luck!! :)
Coden
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

We spent the week before xmas snorkeling everyday in 06..not a problem...actually "had" to get in the water to cool off.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Jay........about 3 weeks :lol: :wink: :lol:

Time is ticking away for you guy's - come on down it is beautiful and I did have to have a dip in Maho on NY day to cool off :)

I am leaving at 6am tomorrow for freezing Kansas City and Minneapolis so I guess I will get to see what real cold feels like....brrrrr

Pia

Oh, and Waterguy I have a perfect come back for me "warming up the water" but I'm not going there - NY resolution ya know....not :lol: :lol: :lol:
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Pia three weeks from tomorrow. It's snowing here, 22 for the high today. "I Gotta Go Were The Weather Suits My Clothes"
:lol: jay
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

For years, we went to the Caribbean in March, for our daughter's school vacation. Then when she got older we started going in January. The water's definitely chillier. But not too bad. Depends on where you're from, I guess. (We're from New England).
RickG

Post by RickG »

I go in the water without a rash guard (or anything at all, if I can get away with it) year round on STJ. The water is cooler January-March. But, we are talking 78F rather than 82F. Come on, this is warmer than swimming pools get here in DC in the summer time. Go snorkeling, on a cloudy day, in the rain, nekkid even.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Chet

Post by Chet »

Lewes, DE, Dec 27, head-high barrels, 3 hour session...beautiful. Wearing a 6/4 wetsuit with 5 mil lobster-claw gloves, 6 mil booties, and hood.

Skinny dipping at Maho in January, priceless!!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]