Taking the Ferry from Cruz Bay to West End Tortola

Travel discussion for St. John
SusanNJ

Taking the Ferry from Cruz Bay to West End Tortola

Post by SusanNJ »

I am thinking about (maybe) trying to take the ferry from Cruz Bay to Tortola one day while staying on St. John. See there's one that leaves Cruz Bay at 8:30 am and one returns at 4:15 pm.

Has anyone done this before? And if so, how much time should you allow and what are some things you can do/see while on Tortola?

Being this will be our fourth time back to St. John within 4 years, trying to think of some different things to do. (Already have a daysail booked to go to JVD)

8)
Captain Scott

Post by Captain Scott »

Susan:

I've taken the Ferry from STJ to Tortola only once, seems like it was about 45 minutes, but I have vacationed on both a number of times. While we love Tortola's laid back atmoshpere it does not compare to STJ in sheer beauty. If it were me I'd take a day trip to the baths on Virgin Gorda before I'd take the day trip to Tortola.

If your heart is set on Tortola check out Smuggler's Bay Beach, quite beautiful but can be difficult to access.

Tortola is better suited for a week or longer as a slow paced vacation destination than it is a daytrip in my opinion.

Tortola has some great snorkeling but you have to know where to go or it is only so-so in quality. The beaches are not on par with those of Jost or STJ. However the people are wonderful on Tortola and you can find areas that are really isolated and peaceful.

Good luck,
Scott
"If your attitude is appaling there is a latitude calling"
StJohnCaptain

tortola

Post by StJohnCaptain »

I've done this a number of times. Of course, I live on St. John, so it's easy to do.

We almost always rent a car on Tortola. Have one waiting for us. And then we bop around. You can go all the way to beef island and then take a freebie ferry to Marina Cay - owned by pusser's. Or go to Long Bay and stop at Bomba Shack. Or swim with dolphins. Or just ride around, get the feel of the island, eat lunch, and return.

But a couple of nights there is what we really like. Loads of places to visit. Just hunt on internet and you'll find a bunch.
Greetings from 600 ft. above Coral Bay Harbor -- Captain G.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Agreed, you need to rent a car and its best to do ahead of time. Sage Mountain is a fun spot to visit; its actually a BVI National Park and is the highest point in the Virgins. Its fun to look down on JVD. Mount Healthy is another fun spot to hit.

I generally drove to Road Town and then up to Brewers Bay (good beach and snorkeling with lunch options). From there Cane Garden Bay with the Callwood Rum Distillery and more lunch spots and okay beach. Next West to Bomba Shack and some good crafts near Sebastians (where the road forks left to go back to West End). But, continue straight to Smugglers Cove.

Make certain you get back in time to drop your car off. If you get back to West End early hit Jolly Roger for drinks. If you rent your car from Hertz, the drop off is at Jolly Roger.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

Captain Scott is right on the $$. DO NOT do this trip for the day.... been there, done that! :wink:
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi, Susan!

We stayed on Tortola for 4 nights in February. If you would like to see our trip report & pictures - just go back to around March 19, 2007 (that was the last date that someone posted a comment). I actually posted the "Tortola Trip Report" on March 14.

If I was just there for the day. I would probably start off with breakfast at Sebastian's on the Beach. Then go on through the Long Bay Beach Resort property & get right to Smuggler's Cove Beach. The beach was gorgeous & had something special that we have never found on a St. John beach.......drum roll.....and that would be oceanfront cocktails (blender drinks and all) and lounge chairs for rent & even grilled food for lunch. Had the best BBC that I have ever had!!

Very low key and very relaxing. We liked Brewers Bay, too and also really enjoyed driving along the coastal roads on each side of Tortola. But, you might not want to take the time to get to Brewers & might just want to check out Cane Garden Bay, instead (as it is not as far of a drive away from Smuggler's).

Also, Long Bay beach (which you go right past on your way to Smugglers) was lovely to walk on. Not a swimming or snorkeling beach. But, really pretty.

You could have a day of going from place to place - or just enjoy a "chill" day at Smugglers. Warning - the road was pretty rough & we were glad that we had a Jeep Wrangler. But, we were so happy to have had that experience.

Hope the little trip report gives you a little "birds eye view" of what you might expect on Tortola.

Sue (from MA)
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Thanks all for the replies! I think maybe we'll stick to staying on St. John and doing the Tortola thing another time! The daysail will probably be enough -

Thanks again! :wink: