2nd time visit Villa Recommendation

Travel discussion for St. John
Rebecca in NOVA

Post by Rebecca in NOVA »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted to/read this forum. My husband and I made a great trip to St. John two years ago. Since then we have had a baby (now 14 months) and we are looking to make a return trip with Baby and Grandma next summer for our 10-year anniversary. I figured we'd start planning now to get a great place!

So, we are looking for villa recommendations but have some very specific desires:
* full A/C in entire house. We are A/C fans, so just bedroom A/C won't cut it for us.
* toddler-friendly, since our son will be ~22 months at the time.
* at least 3 bedrooms (us, baby, grandma) with two of the bedrooms being close to each other.
* close enough to Cruz Bay so we can easily shop, go to restaurants, etc. We'll rent a car, but would like to stay pretty close.
* pool
* Great view, of course!

I've been looking through some sites and so far one house that fits is Idyllic, where we stayed last time, but we thought it would be fun to do something different and maybe newer/remodeled entirely. Also Argonauta, which looks lovely but of course is pricier and available dates aren't quite as convenient. Just hoping to get some more options before we decide.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! We're already looking forward to the trip. I've been listening to my Island playlist!

Rebecca in No. VA
MIG

Post by MIG »

Argonauta is a great villa which meets most of your requirements, but I would have concerns with a young child. There is a nice bedtoom on the first floor of the main building, but the second bedroom is up a steep winding metal staircase. I'm not sure that would be safe for a little one.[/code]
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Check out Cocotier, it may be a little larger than you need
Rebecca in NOVA

Thanks for the Argonauta tip, we will keep that in mind! And I will add Cocotier to my list, it looks lovely.

Rebecca in No. VA
RickG

Post by RickG »

Le Lapin II is a good bet. It has interior staircases. We had family there with little people and it worked out well for the toddlers.

We stayed at Cocotier and loved it. But... access to all bedrooms is via the exterior. I would want the kids to be 6+ years old there. The railings on each side of the infinity pool are not kid safe and its an 8 foot tumble.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Check out Sea Wind offered by Caribbean Villas (http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/sea-wind/index.html). We stayed there a few years a go and the place was great.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Rebecca in NOVA

Thanks for the suggestions! I couldn't tell from the Web site, is Le Lapin II totally a/c or just bedrooms?

I was wondering about the safety of that infinity pool, although it looks gorgeous! We'll keep Cocotier in mind for when he's a bit older.

Same for Sea Wind, it looks great but we'll probably opt for interior-connected bedrooms.

It's so funny, I was keeping my husband updated on the new villa info and he asked me incredulously "these people just make these suggestions for you?!" Thanks to all for the helpful advice!
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Hi Rebecca - good to see another Virginian on here!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Rebecca in NOVA

Jo Ann - VA wrote:Hi Rebecca - good to see another Virginian on here!
I will watch for your license plate!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Rebecca in NOVA wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I couldn't tell from the Web site, is Le Lapin II totally a/c or just bedrooms?
I recall full A/C. It's all one connected space with bedrooms on both floors. You use an interior staircase to move between the floors. There is a HUGE porch area that is well away from the pool.

I would call Caribbean Villas (remember to add 5% service charge to the listed price) and ask them about specifics.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

My husband and I stayed at Moonsong villa back in '03, which is right next door to Sundance - http://www.cloud9villas.com/Sundance/index.htm which fits most of your bill. It's not right next to Cruz Bay, but we were shown around the villa and I think it might fit pretty close to what you're looking for.

We have a two-year old and we are thinking of doing exactly what you are doing for our 10- year (2 years away) and this villa is on my short-list.

-Sandy
MIke

Post by MIke »

Rebecca,

Check out Indigo villa thru Destination ST John.We stayed their in July and it was pretty great.Complete A/C thru out villa.I would have to say it is fairly kid proof but then I've been out of that business for quite some time.It is in Great Cruz Bay so it is close to town.
Check it out.
Mike
Rebecca in NOVA

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out! We really appreciate it.

Rebecca in NOVA