Insurance for rental car

Travel discussion for St. John
jdw

Insurance for rental car

Post by jdw »

Someone told me that if you use American Express to reserve/pay for your rental car that you do not need to pay for optional insurance. Can anyone confirm this? We are using Courtesy.

Thanks.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I would call AmEx and ask them. Many people believe that if you reserve on a credit card then you are ok, but not all credit cards provide that service.

Our US car insurance through American Family covers us in the USVI so all we do is take our card and they make copies. You might ask your local insurance agent if you are covered too.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Our insurance agent told me to copy the declarations page of our insurance policy and take that with me, as we would be covered in the USVI. However I forgot to take it along, so we got the rental company's insurance just to be on the safe side.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Your insurance company that you have at home should cover the rental in the USVI. I too use AmEx and that is supplemental coverage that your regular insurance doesn’t cover – like the deductible.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
RickG

Post by RickG »

FlaGeorge wrote:Your insurance company that you have at home should cover the rental in the USVI. I too use AmEx and that is supplemental coverage that your regular insurance doesn’t cover – like the deductible.
Yep, I was on the phone with State Farm checking this yesterday. What State Farm does not cover is "Loss of Income" for when the rental car is not available for rental. One of my credit cards covers this, but another does not.

All of this back and forth makes value renting through Conrad Sutton with his included $1,000 deductible insurance (the same as my home policy). We are renting from Dependable at STT for the first time, on FlaGeorge's recommendation.

R
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

RickG wrote:
We are renting from Dependable at STT for the first time, on FlaGeorge's recommendation.

R
Hey RickG
Dependable are good folks and will take care of you. As the plane landed and was approaching the gate - I gave them a call. By the time we got our bags (not long) they were waiting for us. The kool part was, the Rav-4 that they picked us up in was the one we got to use. So the bags were already in the car - all we had to do was sign the papers and we were gone.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

I called AMEX prior to our last trip and they told me at the time that their rental car coverage did not extend to the USVI. Don't know if that was an informed statement or not.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

FlaGeorge wrote:
RickG wrote:
We are renting from Dependable at STT for the first time, on FlaGeorge's recommendation.

R
My mom loved the people at dependable. She rented from them back in April and found them to be top notch!
RickG

Post by RickG »

steveo2916 wrote:I called AMEX prior to our last trip and they told me at the time that their rental car coverage did not extend to the USVI. Don't know if that was an informed statement or not.
State Farm was very confused and did not understand the difference between the BVIs and USVIs. I gave them a US zip code for STJ and they plugged it into their system: covered!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI