Finally June Trip Report - Part 8 - nothintolose's add ons

Travel discussion for St. John
nothintolose

Finally June Trip Report - Part 8 - nothintolose's add ons

Post by nothintolose »

What we did:

Jerry and I got to Francis around 9am and there was no one there except two women that we taking pics of each other. We took one of the two of them for them and then asked them if they had been out and they told us to snorkel the right shore as far out as we could and that the futher out we went, the better.

We did as they suggested and agree that it got better and better the closer we got to the point. We saw several green turtles of all sizes and one hawksbill; we followed each of them around for a while. We also saw two of the largest angelfish (grey) we have EVER seen. I am talking doormat sized. They were being followed by two smaller ones. We watched them for a LONG time; it was just so amazing to see them that big! We saw a few stingrays as well and lots of beautiful coral. It was definitely a good snorkel. The water got a bit rough close to the point, but we were heading back in anyway. It rained on us some when we were snorkeling but didn't affect anything.

We hung out on the deck a bit before heading off to lunch - Catherine enjoyed her book and Jerry enjoyed his cheese and crackers - note the DBFT huggie...

Lunch at Island Blues was as relaxing as ever. Noitced that they had the Cowboy Mouth "Voodoo Shoppe" cd on again...gotta love it. Cat posted what we ate in her post. We started out at this table then moved to one by the water when one opened up.

Kenneth and I convinced Cat and Jerry to let us drive so of course when we pull out of Island Blues, I pull into the wrong side of the road and immediately get told to "Stay left" from Jerry. Too funny because I always have to remind him so I know he loved getting to remind me.

After Skinny's, Jerry was driving then pulled over and told me he was tired and wanted me to drive so I did. Wasn't as thrilling as I thought it was going to be but got a better taste for it than the short drive to Skinny's from Island Blues. I am fine with being the passenger.

We went back to Maho that afternoon while Cat and Kenneth were at the villa. Maho is always one of my favorite snorkels...especially around the point. The visibility wasn't that great because it was later, but it was okay. We saw a HUGE barracuda on the little Maho side. It was even bigger than the one we saw at Maho. It saw us and left; I was glad of that cuz I hate when they hang around you. I saw the Nurse Shark Jerry had seen his last snorkel. It was right where he had seen it before. We also saw some rays. When we were coming back around the point from little Maho we saw a HUGE A$$ fish that neither of us can figure out what it was. It was silver, thin but round in shape with a tail that made like a "V" with black on the tips of it's fins. It was HUGE. It was checking me out alot and all I kept thinking was that it's mouth was really small and so hopefully it couldn't do alot of damage...yikes.

The water was really cold (probably because it started raining again and it was getting late) so we headed in. I had wanted to watch another sunset there, but it was raining so we headed back to the villa and watched it there.

Sunset from Seawatch

Friday:
When I woke up, there was a beautiful two-sided rainbow. I went inside to get my camera, and it was gone when I came back. Watched the bannaquits and had my morning ritual of being in the quiet by myself.

One thing I noticed was that the bannaquits would get sugar all over their beaks then fly to the rail and wipe their beaks off on the rail. I loved watching them do that.

After the mentioned shopping at Freebird and meeting back up with the guys, I got a call on my cell from Jerry's daughter wanting us to check out a Luminaria Villa for her and her husband as they are going in October. Jerry walked over to Viva and got directions. We would go by there and check it out before lunch.

When Cat and Kenneth went off to take pics, Jerry and I drove the road to Reef Bay all the way to the end (where Flip-Flop stayed before). We took pics of the water below. There were some people down there surfing.

Reef Bay pics

Went back to the villa to freshen up and were met by the gardeners hanging out on the deck enjoying the view (you can't resist that view). They went back to work when we got there. I gave them each some Carib when we were leaving.

We headed out Centerline and took the road to Upper Carolina to find Luminaria. When we got there, the cleaning people were there and they let Jerry go in. It has a steep but short driveway. I was at the bottom (above Great Turtle Villa) watching the donkeys. I offered one of them some water out of my water bottle, and it drank some. After it drank the rest of my water, I went to go up the driveway to check out the villa and it kept following me. Well all I was thinking was about the donkeys that went crazy at Waterlemon and also somebody's report about being chased by the donkeys while running in her flip flops so I got in the car till it walked off then went out and checked out the villa.

You can see the water on it's nose - it's hard to give a donkey water out of a water bottle

Let me tell you that the views from that villa are absolutely spectacular. We have stayed at Hakuna Matata in Catherineburg and thought the views over Cinnamon Bay were amazing, but these were even better! You not only have the views of the Sir Francis Drake Channel, but you also have the views of Coral Bay. Jerry said that's where he wants to stay next. The only downfall I saw was that the pool has no view. I like to hang out in the pool and look out at a beautiful view. It actually looks kinda shaded too so I wonder if it's too cold to swim in as the one in the sun at Seawatch was cold too.

So we met Cat and Kenneth at Shipwreck for lunch after all of us looked around in Jolly Dog and Tall Ship Trading Company - here is Cat in the hammock:

I had the best hot sauce on my fish sandwich and should have bought a bottle there but didn't and am totally regretting it because I don't know the name of it. It wasn't really hot if you ask me, but it was very flavorful. It was made on STJ (I think) and it had a curry flavor to it. It was awesome!!! Does anyone know what it is called? I know it's not Miss Anna's, Blind Betty's or Uncle Jerome's.

Afterwards, we went back to the villa and got everything together for one last snorkel (so sad) and we chose Maho because we wanted to watch the sunset there one last time too. The water was murky again; I think part of it was because we were going so late.

We did see the Angelfish that are always around there, and we did see the nurse shark again. It wasn't at the point when we went around or back in, but Jerry stuck around hoping to see it when he heard some people (the same ones that were with the two that were touching the coral and got stung by sea urchins - see Cat's last report) screaming that there was a nurse shark. Jerry swam over to where they were just in time to see the idiots trying to touch it and play with it. Next thing I know, just as Cat, Kenneth and I are coming back around the point, Jerry yells, "Elizabeth, the shark is swimming your way!" Okay so, I had to remind myself that it's only a nurse shark, but I can tell you I didn't like the sound of that. I remained calm, and it WAS the nurse shark. We followed it around for a while, and then it left.

That night Jerry and I went to Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay for our last meal. I think it's more of a lunch place, but we weren't looking for a lot of food. When we rounded the bend by Island Blues, the moon was huge and reflecting on the water. It was gorgeous! It was the night before the full moon. It was so beautiful, and it lit up the whole area. When we walked into the area where Aqua Bistro, I think they were closing, but the waitress (who, by the way, was wearing a 2007 Jazz & Heritage Fest shirt) kindly said she'd feed us anyway. We REALLY appreciated that because we probably wouldn't have found anything else open at that point. We split an appetizer of coconut shrimp. Jerry had a gyro salad and I had a fish sandwich. The food was good and just the right amount for what we were looking for.

Afterwards, we walked across the street and just looked out over the water watching the moon's reflection and all of the waves washing ashore. It was so beautiful and also so sad because I knew we would be leaving the next day. The breeze coming off of the water was amazing too. It was sad to leave and we prolonged it but eventually headed back for one last ride down that part of Centerline and back to the villa to spend the evening relaxing on the deck trying to finish off all of the alcohol.
cat

Post by cat »

We had part of a bottle of Patrone, 1/4 bottle cruzan dark and about the same of a bottle of cruzan coconut rum. It was a tough job but someone had to drink it! Eliz still had 4 Caribs left too! We were successful in our endevors and all slept in the next morning! It was a good thing we had already started packing....but I am getting ahead of myself!!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hey nothingtolose, that big A$$ fish was very likely a tarpon. They scare the dirt out people when they see them first time.

I'm not an Aqua Bistro fan. When we stayed in Coral Bay last April we had to be a little pushy to get served at the bar. One time we gave up after 15 minutes and walked over to Island Blues. We'll give them another chance when we stay at Bay House in March.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

RickG - it was definitely NOT a tarpon; Tarpon are common here. Grande Isle has a tarpon rodeo every year. Jerry and I saw three tarpon the size of me two years ago at trunk, and this fish looked nothing like that. This fish had a much more round body like a circle.

This fish was COMPLETELY different in shape - the closest thing we could find in books was a permit - maybe a pompano but it was huge and had no colors on it except silver and black.

The waitress at Aqua Bistro was nice; she may have been slow for all I know, but we were in no rush (never usually are when we are eating) and were just enjoying the breeze and being there. We were the only ones there and very appreciative that they didn't tell us they were closed.

nothintolose

p.s. Island Blues is one of my favorite places on STJ!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We found a palmetto fish in the water at Genti Bay that was WAY bigger than any other palmetto we'd seen--it was at least two feet high and longer than that--so maybe it was a palmetto!

Thanks for the extra reports. I've never snorkeled the right side of Maho! Definitely going to check it out in 29 days! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

You need a permit for pompano? Hmmmm, big fish!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Thanks for the add on and pictures. It sounded like a great day. We loved Maho on the right side too.
ncallas

Post by ncallas »

Thanks for an awesome report. I just wanted to comment on Luminaria, as we stayed there 2 years ago in October. You will not be disappointed, it is an unbelievable villa. The pool was definitely warm enough, and I like a warm pool. Running the fountain seems to raise the temperature a bit. There is plenty of sun until at least 3-3:30 pm, but shaded areas all day by the pool also, under the upstairs deck. The furniture and beds are all very comfy. We would stay there again!

Nancy
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Nothintolose,

The fish you saw was the baracuda that hangs at Maho (I am told) all the time. Now, before you say "no way, I know what baracuda look like and this was not one of them" I have to agree...and keep reading :)

I snorkel Maho, as you know, many times per week and there is one baracuda that I always see about 3 feet long that I have named Charlie (have no idea why), well, this Monday hubby and I were having a few hours relaxing on Maho after doing a whole bunch of housework and gardening, and I decided to have a casual snorkel (not my usual work out swim/snorkel) so I took off towards the rocks on the right side. Visability was not great - alittle stirred up - but I was having a great time just floating. I had seen 2 rays and the normal great "regular" little fishys when I happened to glance to my left.........and screamed !!! Never screamed before in a snorkel even when I saw the huge 5'-6' tarpon that are around. This was different - it had (I think as I was sooooo freaked out) a few black lines on it and it was HUGE - like a tarpon but I knew it was not, and it was just floating, close to the surface looking at me about 3' away - how I missed it I have no idea. Well, I have always told myself if ever I see a shark besides the nurse sharks I know to relax and as quietly as possible and with the least amount of splashing try to swim back to shore...yea right !! I flipped around to head to shore, screaming, and making the biggest splash you could imagine - what a sight !! When safely back to hubby (I think I could be a gold medalist in the next Olympic Games :lol: ) I was telling him all about it and about 15 mins later was talking to another local who had just returned from his snorkel and I asked him about it. He works for Sadie Sea and was telling me that as baracuda get older the black stripes appear and that he is always always at Maho and only the day before was swimming about 3' from shore and very clearly visable. How I have missed him in the 2 years I have been swimming there I will never know - but all I do know is he freaked me out big time.

So guy's there you have it - I was actually going to post all about it as I have in the past, answered to many that baracuda do not hurt and they are nothing to be afraid of - still true - but when you guy's see this sucker you all may change your mind.

Happy snorkeling everyone :)

Pia
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

There is a giant Barracuda at Trunk that they call Charlie and he is similar. I was swimming so close to him to try and get a picture that my kids thought I was nuts. He looked real old and slow.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Pia and Sea-Nile,

I DID sea Charlie but that was not the fish I didn't know what it was. "Charlie" was the LARGEST barracuda I have EVER seen and he just slowly left the area - didn't stalk like some barracuda do. It did freak me out for a split second as I thought maybe it was a shark, but as soon as I saw his mouth, I knew he was a barracuda.

This other fish was not at all a barracuda, it's body was more thin and flat but shaped like a circle with a tail. It really looks alot more like a Permit or a Palometto without the long fins. The only black on it that I remember was on the tips of it's fins. The rest was silver.

nothintolose
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Pia, I've met Charlie but I think you are mistaken. He is AT LEAST 4 foot :shock:. :wink:
Bug

Post by Bug »

OK, you guys are freaking me out now....Sharks I can hang with.....Barracuda's ~ I DON'T LIKE!!!!

I swam with a 4'-5' nurse shark that was eating the alge off the bottom of our dingy one time. It was so gentle and timid. Those Barracuda just look like all they want to do is EAT YOU!!

Pia ~ I did the same thing as you one time at Salt Pond. Looked up and saw this GI-NORMOUS Barracuda so I ripped my mask and snorkel off, started screaming, and swimming like a nut towards shore. The only thing I accomplished was half drowning myself. What a dork I am!!!!

XOXO
Bug
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey there,

I didn't know (duh) there was an "official" Charlie - I just came up with that name for some unknown reason when I saw the "little" one at Maho ("my" Charlie is in the 2 1/2' to 3' range) This sucker was HUGE - probably close to 5' :shock: I hope I don't see him again - I'm still not convinced he was a baracuda !! :)

Pia
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Hey Pia, yes I agree with you. My 4 ft estimate was modest. I would definitely say "Charlie," Mr. Scary Barracuda or whateverhisnameis is right around 4 1/2-5 ft. He is the hugest one I have ever seen. Funny how you thrashed your way back to shore. I was so freaking scared I froze like stone!