Update - Parents forced to leave

Travel discussion for St. John
JLBear71

Update - Parents forced to leave

Post by JLBear71 »

I know that it was posted here about the murder of the young man last month on St John. Seems the parents had to flee the islands.

Here is a link to the article in my local newspaper(at least I hope it shows up as a link)

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 82851.html

[/url]
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Thanks for the update on this (the link worked fine). I feel incredibly sad for this family and hope justice will come soon.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

That poor family. That is so sad.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks for the link. I feel incredibly sad for this family. Strangely, I also somehow feel embarassed at the St. John police department. I truly feel this, and other incidents in the past year or so, could be a real problem for the island unless the situation improves---one of St. John's attractions has always been that its safe. When I first rented a villa in St. John about 10 or more years ago the rental agent told us most people didn't lock their doors so not to worry.
---Jim
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

It sounds like the family has support in DC. It is so tragic, I just can't imagine what they are feeling. There is an active thread on the TA forum.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Iowa, don't feel embarrassed for the police....they do a good job of being an embarrassment on their own. If we called them ineffecient we would be giving them too much credit.
bj

Post by bj »

PA Girl wrote:
There is an active thread on the TA forum.

PA Girl, can you provide information on how to get to the TA forum. Thanks.
Peace,
bj
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Here is a link to the TA thread:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... lands.html

Some family members are posting on it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Does anyone know where this happened? Like near what bar/landmark. It is HIGHLY unlikely that any of my group will be conscious past 9pm, but just in case I would like to know.

I understand if noone wants to say for impacting a local biz, but any hints would be appreciated.
MrB

Post by MrB »

flip-flop wrote:Does anyone know where this happened? Like near what bar/landmark. It is HIGHLY unlikely that any of my group will be conscious past 9pm, but just in case I would like to know.

I understand if noone wants to say for impacting a local biz, but any hints would be appreciated.
Flip,

I think the most important part of your question is not the where, but the how. As you said, your group will not be....let us say...in your normal state of mind, and as it's vacation, it's likely that none of us would be, BUT, you will be a GROUP. I think it is most important to note to all our forum friends that GROUPS are much less likely targets than individuals.

As to the where, I do not know, but in most of the stories I've seen, it seems like an area we all have likely been at one time or another.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

flip-flop wrote:Does anyone know where this happened? Like near what bar/landmark. It is HIGHLY unlikely that any of my group will be conscious past 9pm, but just in case I would like to know.

Flip flop, he was last seen alive at the Front Yard bar. He was found stabbed in front of the retail building that Donald Schnell's new studio is in...it has a name...maybe Cocoloba Plaza or something like that?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

he was found in front of donald schnell's studio which is right around the corner from Texaco...on the way to the Tamarind.......

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
scrumblin

Post by scrumblin »

We have travelled to St. John for 10 years now, and the appeal has surely waned. Punk -ss thugs have been hanging out across the street from the police station (next to the school yard) selling pot and crack for years. Now you have to really lock up in a villa or the car in the beach parking lot. Prices for accomodation and car rental have sky-rocketed, insanely.
St. John is so incredibly beautiful...we miss it.
But alas we have moved on...
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

It's still way better than L.A.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I work in Old Town Alexandria. A very beautiful and historic place, just across the Potomac from DC. If you head out from my office in one direction you are at the waterfront in about 3 blocks. Passing multimillion dollar row houses on the way. If you head in the other direction you are in public housing within 2 blocks. I feel completely safe where I work though I see "thug"-ish people hanging out on my way there just about every day. I would not after dark walk from my work to the metro about 3-4 blocks away. Still, I love Old Town, I just try to be smart about it. St. John beats it everyday. Yes, it is sad and tragic anytime anyone dies so senselessly but I would love to know the town/vacation destination that has a 0 crime rate, is affordable and as lovely as St. John.