New User

Travel discussion for St. John
citygirl

New User

Post by citygirl »

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself to all you seasoned travelers out there. My family and I will be heading down to St. John in two weeks. We've never been to the USVI before so if you have any tips to share feel free to inform. From what I've read so far, we are in for the vacation of a lifetime and I'm getting more excited by the minute. I have many questions, but I'll start with the driving on the left. What is that like? Is it hard to get used to? We are a little nervous about this, especially my husband, who will be doing the driving. Thanks for your input.

citygirl
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

woo hoo .. welcome aboard!

my husband was nervous about the driving too but it went fine once he got on the road. when he was making turns I provided a helpful "stay on the left" reminder! turns can get confusing!

have a GREAT time! and now that you are out of the closet we expect a trip report! :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hello citygirl! Welcome to the forum! You're right, there's a wealth of knowledge here! Too bad you didn't find us sooner! Have a look through the archives and I think you'll find just about every topic imaginable discussed! Ask lots of questions... you'll get LOTS of answers! :D

As to driving on the left, no worries! We went to STJ in May for our first time (well, to stay that is!) and I did most of the driving. It was no problem at all. The only time I had any trouble at all was when pulling out of a parking lot and ended up on the right side of the road a couple of times. My husband was very good at reminding me I was on the wrong side! I'm left-handed, and I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I took to it right away.
augie

Post by augie »

To date, my driving on the left experience is all of one day! We picked up a jeep in STT, drove across the island to Red hook, then went to STJ and back on the car barge.

Even though I had many years of driving on the right to corrupt me, it wasn't a problem at all.

When in doubt, I just slow down. If I need to let locals pass, no problem!
Come see us!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Glad your here. you won't have any problem driving on the left. Where are you staying.
Tom
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Welcome Citygirl! Im so jealous of your upcoming trip. My best advice is to pack light! Its so casual on STJ and hot...so shorts and tanks will do the trick along with two bathing suits and one pair of water resistant sandals.
As far as driving on the left...Bill took to it immediately. He did all the driving and had absolutely no problems. I "knew" my way around the island from researching and looking at maps so I was his co-pilot. Have a wonderful time and do as much as you can while you are there! Karen
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Welcome CityGirl!!!

You will love St. John!

My advice to anyone going their first time is to take the first day (assuming you get there when it is daylight) and drive the island on the North Shore Road all the way to Coral Bay and stop at Island Blues (or Skinny Legs) for lunch then continue to the end of the Road at East End and also if you have time go all the way out to Salt Pond so you can see how different both ends of the island are.

We still do that every trip just to see if there are any changes and to remind ourselves that we ARE in paradise!

As for the driving thing, my SO usually drives and I hold on to the "Oh, sh$$" handle alot :lol: He let me drive twice this last trip, and I had my fill. It wasn't any big deal. He does use low gear when going up the switchbacks so as not to skid his tires.

This forum is great, I STILL find out all kinds of wonderful info on here - not to mention you will also learn how to cook :)

nothintolose
citygirl

Post by citygirl »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. We will be staying at the Serendip condos. Philosophy was: if we saved some dollars on the accommodations we'd be able to stay longer. So, instead of one week, we were able to swing a trip for 10 days. We didn't want to spend all our money on meals either, so we went with a place that had a kitchen so we could do some meals in. We've got two boys ages 21 and 17, so even one meal a day will save a lot of cash. Thanks for everyone's reassurance about driving on the left. I'll let you know how it works out.

citygirl
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Welcome! This means that I am not the newest person on the Forum.

My wife and I have been to STT/STJ three times. We've always brought back duty-free merchandise. I suggest that, if you buy anything of significance, keep the receipts in a separate envelope and get a customs form ahead of time. We fill out the form and get the receipts together the night before we have to undertake the "Walk Of Woe" (WOW). We list every ball cap and refrigerator magnet on the form. I've found that it give the agent the feeling that we are trying to be as open as we can. And we are trying to list every purchase. On the last trip, he questioned whether he would find anything else in the bags that is not listed. After asking the third time I asked him to look in the bags. That ended the questions and allowed us to move on. The key, like TSA, is to be as friendly and open with these people as you can.

Have a great trip and enjoy a Bushwacker for us.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mia

Post by mia »

Welcome
RickG is "the man"....his web site is invaluable, especially to newbies.
http://www.garvin.us/STJ/New_Visitors_G ... Guide.html
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi and welcome! This board is such an amazing resource and had me very prepared for my first real trip (not a one day visit). The driving is nothing to worry about.

I wanted to echo the casual dress suggestion. Do not feel like you must take a ton of clothes/shoes/make up, etc. Everything and everyone is very casual!! I packed too much and will scale it down considerably for August.

We may be on island for a few of the same days. We'll be there Aug. 4-11.

Have a great trip!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Welcome!
You will love this forum and STJ!
Maybe you can come to the next WI forum party since you are in Chicago.
Bilter

Post by Bilter »

You will have fun! This will be our 3rd time to St John. We leave on monday Jul 30th from Chicago. We will be staying at the Maho Bay Camp. Maybe we will see you on the roads there. Remember: "Right is Wrong and Left is Right!"
RickG

Post by RickG »

Y'all will have a ball. I gave my kids the choice between Europe and STJ for Spring Break and STJ won out.

One thing to remember is that your 17 year old will find it very easy to be served alcohol on the island. My oldest was served when she was 12 when she neglected to order her strawberry daiquiri virgin-style.

For saving money, cooking in is key. You can save even more by shopping at the locals' places - Dolphin Market and Pine Peace Market are good bets. With four people it would be easy to bring two coolers of food. We find that one 36 quart Extreme cooler fit Thanksgiving food for 24.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Citygirl- Left side driving is no problem, as the co-pilot, don't be shy to shout out corrections in the turning and parking lots, that's where we all have the biggest "oops" moments. Cooking in will take a bite out of some of your food costs, but we found that having a big late lunch at Skinny's or Island Blues followed by evening snacks at the villa easily does the trick. You really should try a dinner or two in Cruz Bay. Try the Banana Deck for the four of you. One night, order a pizza for the boys (or send them to Woody's)and treat you and hubby to a meal at Rhumblines, La Tapa, ZoZo's,... we all have multiple favorites.

Regardless- Enjoy!