A couple of Gallows Point questions

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

A couple of Gallows Point questions

Post by liamsaunt »

If you rent a car, is there guaranteed parking if you are staying at Gallows? I seem to remember some kind of valet service, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Has anyone stayed in the Harbour Upper units? I am curious about the noise from the ferry in this location.

Thanks! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Liamsaunt---I'm sure there are better Gallows experts out there than me, but I have stayed there twice (several years ago). We have stayed in both the Harbor upper unit and the Ocean View upper unit. The Harbor View unit is noisier, not just from the ferry, but also from bands in town or activities at Beach Bar. This did not bother me much, but I'm up late normally, and wake up early too. I can see that it could be disturbing. The more significant issue with Gallows, in my view, is that the quality of the units varies a lot.I would do what I could to guarantee the particular unit you will be staying in. Suite St. John will guarantee the particular unit you will have. On parking, I recall a modified valet system. Seems like I may have parked it myself sometimes, but always gave the key to someone at the door. I do remember my car being blocked in in the morning and having a hard time getting my key. My memory on this is a little foggy though.
---Jim
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We were there 2 years ago and we always had a parking spot and parked it ourselves. We stayed on the opposite side from the harbor side, but loved it.
I see they have added more parking there now and maybe the parking situation has changed. My husband loved being able to park there and walk into town in the evening. No worries about parking spots or DUI's. :D
jmq

Post by jmq »

Re parking, we going back in late August so will let you know latest then.
In Ap 06, they did indeed ask for key drop at desk so if you were directed to double park or block someone in they can move you.
I would imagine harbor side somewhat quieter now that the car ferrys which were the loudest ferry offenders now come into the pond dock. Let me tell you, those early morning car ferries were plenty loud even from up the hill at Estate Lindholm in 3/05. They must've really rattled Gallows.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
SRT

Post by SRT »

I too will let you know after we stay there in August. We did rent from St. John Suites because we were given a better rate since we have three units. The main reason we are staying there is that we too want to be able to walk to dinner each night. srt
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for your input guys. We are booking tonight and this is helpful information. Good point about the car ferry being moved, jmq. I don't think Beach Bar noice would bother me, I was mostly concerned about the ferry.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Just got back yesterday after spending two weeks at Gallows.

Parking is never a problem. Even if you come in and you have to double park blocking someone, you give the desk your key.
suzi

Post by suzi »

How lucky for you that you are staying at Gallows!!! I love it there and would stay there again in a heartbeat!!! Last year we stayed at Lavendar Hill, right across the street, and the noise from the ferries would wake us up bright and early, so I can imagine that it would be the same if not noisier at Gallows on the harbor. But I would let that stop me from staying there. IMHO, if you can get up early in STJ, the longer the day is in paradise!!! You cannot beat the view from Gallows. You may even want to forego a beach day and just stay at Gallows all day!! the snorkeling cannot be beat!
CruzBayB

two weeks at Gallows

Post by CruzBayB »

Promoguy, I am seriously jealous. I would LOVE to be at Gallow's for two weeks... I might never return if I stayed that long!

I agree with everyone that it was a wonderful place to stay and while we were in 15D which faces the outward edge of the harbor (and is booked as an ocean view) we rarely noticed the coming and going of the ferries. Yes, we heard them but never enough to interfere with our relaxed beach vibe and we LOVED our strolls down to town for dinner each evening with an even slower walk back to our condo both full and happy!
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
suzi

Post by suzi »

CruzBayB- I have always looked at 15D because the staircase comes down right at the pool and you don't have to walk all around the buildings to get to the pool area. How did you like it there? Is it priced as a harbor view? Was it nicely furnished?
brenda

Post by brenda »

As was stated, you can double park in Gallow's lot as long as you leave your keys at the front desk. We were always able to get a spot, but I believe they also have some parking right next to GP.

We have stayed in the Harbor View units (upper) 3 times and weren't bothered by the ferrys, but if you are used to absolute quiet, they may bother you. The noise is less than when the car barges were there. We barely notice the noise anymore. I simply will not pay $100 more per night for the ocean views, I like to go too much. I recommend the units closest to the "point" (10 or 11). In my opinion, unit 15, which is an ocean view, isn't any better than the harbor views next to it. There isn't a unit that isn't relatively close to the pool.
Going "home" again October 26th!
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

We stayed at Gallows in May in 12D ..lower harbor..The ferry was operating and I NEVER felt noise was a problem..(the bedrooms are in the back of the unit)..on the other hand, our trip prior to that one we stayed in Coral Bay where there was a rooster that started up crowing at 4am every day which ruosed us all .. I would still pay to have that bird shot..lol. As I mentioned in another post we never felt the need to rent a car while at Gallows..we either walked to Cruz bay or went everywhere else by boat :)
CruzBayB

Suzi

Post by CruzBayB »

:lol: Suzi, We loved 15D because of being so close to the pool and hot tub at night after dinner. It was priced as an ocean view, I believe. It was also one of the nicer units as far as that goes... not all Gallow's units are created equal, it depends on the individual owner but I know that 1C and 15D were both nice. I have to agree that I would pay 100 less for a harbor view upper next time if I could be sure it was an updated unit because we weren't in our unit except to shower for dinner, change for the pool and return to sleep. Except for a few relaxing early mornings enjoying coffee on the balcony we can usually be found on the north shore beaches! (I will admit, though, that I do prefer the open feeling of the upper units.)
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Liamsaunt
I have stayed there twice and always rented a Jeep and never had a problem parking but both times were in low season (Aug &Sept). The noise from town didn't seem to bother me and should be better since as others have said most of it was from the car ferry with the various truck starting up and driving off it.
I stayed in the Ocean view upper in August and loved the view and the harbor upper in September and while there was a little more noise and view wasn't as good, I would do it again if it got us back to St. John either sooner or for a longer amount of time.
Scott
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Liamsunt, you planning a return trip already? Good for you!

JMQ, glad to hear you are returning. I look forward to your photos!

mb