One Particular Harbor

Travel discussion for St. John
Grace

One Particular Harbor

Post by Grace »

Anyone stay at this villa lately? I read a couple of older reviews but they were not that positive. :(

I really would appreciate any recent feedback on One Particular Harbor. Thanks for the help 8)
kirk

Post by kirk »

mia

Post by mia »

Grace,
Have you already booked OPH? We stayed there in Dec/Jan of 2005, it was quite new at that time. The view is spectacular....probably one of the best in Coral Bay....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
Grace

Post by Grace »

mia wrote:Grace,
Have you already booked OPH? We stayed there in Dec/Jan of 2005, it was quite new at that time. The view is spectacular....probably one of the best in Coral Bay....mia

No I haven't booked OPH yet but I liked what I saw on their web site. The price was good, the views look good, it has A/C in the BR, has a pool and it's in Coral Bay. Everything I want. But the review from Dec 2006 is throwing me off.
The road we can handle, We stayed in a villa on Calabash Boom (the road from h**l) After the first time we cheered when we got to the top and at the end coming down.

Any other info you can share about OPH?

Thank You for your reply

8)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I could be wrong about this, but didn't someone here on the forum say that OPH's pool isn't heated and it's in the shade all day so it's cold? Just a thought.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

After alot of research and help from my forum friends OPH looks good to me. Check your PM box :wink:
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
Grace

Post by Grace »

California Girl wrote:I could be wrong about this, but didn't someone here on the forum say that OPH's pool isn't heated and it's in the shade all day so it's cold? Just a thought.
Thanks California Girl but we are planning on going next spring. I'm sure the hot sun will warm the pool during the day. Hopefully the heating pump will be fixed

:D

Thanks Gizzmo. I sent you a PM.
lavender

Post by lavender »

We stayed at OPH in April of 2006 and loved it. The views, the villa itself, the location, the layout - everything was wonderful. The pool was tropically warm when we were there (late April time frame) and whether the pool was heated or not I have no idea. I question how frigidly cold it could really get in a tropical climate???!! At any rate - we loved it, it was comfortable, well-equipped, and had everything we could have ever asked for. Everything was in perfect order while we were there and we had no issues or complaints. I think it is interesting to see how there can be many glowing reviews of a property and one bad review can scare people away. Me, I just go by what the majority of people say as there are certainly "different strokes for different folks" and there certainly can be sets of unfortunate circumstances making ANY villa get a bad review now and then.
Grace

Post by Grace »

lavender wrote:We stayed at OPH in April of 2006 and loved it. The views, the villa itself, the location, the layout - everything was wonderful. The pool was tropically warm when we were there (late April time frame) and whether the pool was heated or not I have no idea. I question how frigidly cold it could really get in a tropical climate???!! At any rate - we loved it, it was comfortable, well-equipped, and had everything we could have ever asked for. Everything was in perfect order while we were there and we had no issues or complaints. I think it is interesting to see how there can be many glowing reviews of a property and one bad review can scare people away. Me, I just go by what the majority of people say as there are certainly "different strokes for different folks" and there certainly can be sets of unfortunate circumstances making ANY villa get a bad review now and then.
Thank you Lavender, always nice to hear about a happy experience. I appreciate your comments. :D

One person's bad experience doesn't usually get to me but after reading this one not so good review (Dec 2006) there are no others regarding OPH. That was my concern. I see that they are renting this villa out but no new reviews. I was hoping someone who had a recent stay there would have some comments, good or bad.

I thank everyone for their replies 8)
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

This is a gorgeous house. My understanding is that the pool heater has been fixed since January and that there is a new washer and dryer. The cable issue is not yet resolved. (I have friends who have been waiting for a land-line telephone in the same area for three years, so I know how that can go. My friends have a cell phone, but it only works in the shower. Can you imagine not being able to get a telephone?!! Or cable?!!)

I have spoken to many people who were staying in this house who loved it. I always take note when they say they love it because I love houses that are named after songs and don't have the word "villa" in the name.

I'm sad that the stars were aligned to have things broken when Jan & Mike stayed there. Just by chance, I happen to know the owners, though I didn't realize it until quite recently. One of their daughters came in the store a few years ago wearing a tee shirt from my high school and we have become friends. We had the same favorite teacher, over 25 years apart. (Fabulous Teacher George Mangan, Phillips Exeter Academy.)

I only realized recently that this was their house when she mentioned the name on a recent St. John visit. If I happen to see her parents over the summer, I'll ask if there's a reason why they can't get satellite TV. I know there's lots of movies there and I would personally love to stay somewhere where I didn't hear a TV for a week. Of course, I'd have to go by myself, I'm pretty sure Ron wouldn't skip sports for a week.

If I learn anything more about One Particular Harbor, I'll let you know.

-Ruth
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

We also stayed at OPH in April 06 with our kids and LOVED it!! The view from the house and HEATED pool was to die for :) ...We loved swimming in the pool at the end of the day. There was no cable tv but there was a tv and vcr..with a rental place in Coral Bay..you can also rent dvds in Cruz Bay and return them in the store in Coral Bay.. Nothing beats opening the sliders and playing Bob Marley to start your day. I thought the house was beautiful and well kept. We have also stayed at the Westin and Gallows Point. There will always be someone that finds a fault somewhere..We were there with 2 teenage boys and they did not miss the tv either. The house is just the way it looks on the website..I'd go back i a minute. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Thank you Ruth, you are very sweet and I liked your positive reply. Great to hear about the washer/dryer. I would love to pack lite this time. I don't care about TV. My husband doesn't care either. I would gladly give up TV for a fantastic view.

It's funny but horrible about your friends can only use their cell phones in the shower. That is a big inconvience especially in case of a emergency. Island living......Ahhhhh.....

Donna, I'm glad to hear of your positive trip. I'm really feeling better now, thanks to all of you.

We have not made up our minds regarding a villa choice yet. But, I'm leaning towards OPH. We will see, I still have some time. There may be another couple and they will want to take part in where we stay. I don't know how you all do it with a big crowd.

Thanks to all of you. This forum is great and I appreciate your help
Grace

:D :D