Island Blues ripped off. funny story from the Tradewinds

Travel discussion for St. John
kirk

Island Blues ripped off. funny story from the Tradewinds

Post by kirk »

Island Blues getting ripped off isn't funny, but the aftermath is.
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com//in ... 0&Itemid=1

A man suspected of making a water-borne getaway with a water-proof lock box from a Coral Bay restaurant in a late night burglary didn't make it far in the light of day.

The security alarm at Island Blues sounded around 3:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning, June 26, awakening at least one live-aboard boater moored nearby in the harbor.

The witness said he clearly saw a male with the box in his hands climb into a kayak which had been pulled on shore in front of the popular harbor side restaurant.

The suspect paddled to the sailing vessel Tally Ho! which had recently arrived in the harbor for the Eighth Annual Commodore's Cup boat races two days earlier.

After several phone calls to the unstaffed V.I. Police Department Coral Bay substation went unanswered, the witness said he called the VIPD's Leander Jurgen Command in Cruz Bay, but still got nowhere.

While a call was answered around 5 a.m., the desk officer told the caller there were not enough officers on duty at the time to send one all the way out to Coral Bay.

The caller was assured an officer would be sent by 8 a.m.

When a VIPD officer finally did arrive around 10 a.m., he was unable to collect forensic evidence and declined to ride out to the boat in question - to which the suspicious kayak remained tied.

As the Coral Bay boating community watched Tally Ho!, the suspect male rowed a woman later identified as the boat's owner to the dock in a dinghy around 2:45 p.m.

The two, who toted a small dog and a dog carrier, then were seen walking to the Centerline Road intersection.
After local boaters further discussed the issue over happy hour libations, a plan arose. The suspect male was spotted walking back to the dinghy dock around 6 p.m. and was intercepted by a vigilante group which had quickly formed.
A group of about 20 boaters met the male on the Coral Bay dock and would not let him go anywhere until authorities arrived.

It was a hot afternoon, and eventually thirst got to the mostly male group of vigilante sailors.
Soon a tray of drinks were procured from a nearby watering hole and cocktails were passed around the dock.

VIPD Comm. Called on Cell Phone
After VIPD Commissioner James McCall was contacted via cellular phone, VIPD officers did appear on the dock and one even toted a shotgun.

Two officers were taken out to Tally Ho! with the suspect male who then claimed he didn't have keys to unlock the vessel. The officers peered into a few open hatches and couldn't make out much.

VIPD officers, however, did find crack cocaine on the suspected burglar, who was hauled off to the Bureau of Corrections in St. Thomas charged with possession of a controlled substance.

Although scuba divers later discovered Island Blues paperwork on the sea floor below Tally Ho!, the lock box was never recovered. The man, whose name was not released, was not charged with burglary.

The whereabouts of the woman who owns Tally Ho! remained unknown.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 03 July 2007 )
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

THANKS FOR MAKING MY DAY! :lol:
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
2FarNorth

Post by 2FarNorth »

Great story...

So instead of "street justice" on St. John it would be "Beach Justice"....

- Kevin
Bug

Post by Bug »

Can't you just picture all the sailors sitting at Skinny's, having a drink talking about this, and deciding to do something about it?? My big question is how come those darn cops on STJ will hastle me about stopping for 1 minute in front of the Ferry Dock to drop off my luggage, but won't go after a theif???

XOXO
Bug
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Reminds me of the time we were settling in to our condo in St martin and just enjoying the view of the dock and harbor. All of a sudden we saw all kinds of commotion. Police, locals all running in one direction toward the dock. Then we saw a guy jump in the water and start to swim away. Later we found out from the folks down by the dock that it was someone on the island illegally from Jamaica. His get away plan was apparently to swim home :) Didn't work so well and the cops apprehended him by boat. The guy was a pretty good swimmer though!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

"It was a hot afternoon, and eventually thirst got to the mostly male group of vigilante sailors.
Soon a tray of drinks were procured from a nearby watering hole and cocktails were passed around the dock. "

That's by far the best part of the article.

"Dude...it's hot"
"I know dude, but we have this guy here"
"But, dude, it's hot"
"Wanna beer?"
"Sure dude, but who's going to watch him?"
"See if they can deliver drinks"
"Bein' a cop ain't easy"
cat

Post by cat »

They were talking about it at the bar at island Blues one day that we were there for lunch! I couldn't believe it!
a boy's mom

Awesome!

Post by a boy's mom »

What a fun report - loved it! Thanks for sharing! Only on St. John...
starfish

Post by starfish »

We had our own experience with the VIPD on vacation. Soon to be detailed in my trip report. Lets just say they are not very organized. It was a VERY interesting trip in a lot of respects.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Starfish, i'm looking forward to your report.
I wonder if the lack of any real responce on the part of the VIPD has anything to do the new deputy chief being a outsider?
Captain Scott

Post by Captain Scott »

What a great story. My brother-in-law is the chief of police here in our little town. My wife and I have always joked that if we were to turn to a life of crime this would be the place as my brother-in-law is a great guy but not the most dedicated of crime fighters. However, it looks as if the "pickins" might be even better in St. John. Apparently my brother-in-law must have trained the USVI Police force in their keen detective skills.

I can see a new TV series in the works, CSI St. John !
"If your attitude is appaling there is a latitude calling"
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

The poor owners at Island Blues must grit their teeth every time they pay their property taxes! I'd be like, "what for, so I can pay for the awesome police protection?" :roll:

The cops had a chance to make an easy catch and look like heroes, or at least help a local business. Too bad they didn't bother. I love that some boaters decided to play vigilante!
JT

Post by JT »

Blues got busted into one night when we were there last November. The cops didn't even investigate it, blamed Emily for not having a security camera. That one really sucked because they took the safe, poored booze all over the cash register and charge card machines, rendering them useless. Also there is a progressive pot dice game the locals play that the pot had gotten pretty high. They got that,too.
Around the same time, within a day or so, someone broke into Skinny Legs and the Syzygy Gallery. Even though they got him on Skinny's camera, the cops wouldn't arrest him either! The locals sorta persuaded the young man that maybe he'd be happier off the island.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

JT wrote:Blues got busted into one night when we were there last November. The cops didn't even investigate it, blamed Emily for not having a security camera. That one really sucked because they took the safe, poored booze all over the cash register and charge card machines, rendering them useless. Also there is a progressive pot dice game the locals play that the pot had gotten pretty high. They got that,too.
Around the same time, within a day or so, someone broke into Skinny Legs and the Syzygy Gallery. Even though they got him on Skinny's camera, the cops wouldn't arrest him either! The locals sorta persuaded the young man that maybe he'd be happier off the island.
so the locals got the thief to go?
i have heard when i lived on island, alot of the crime the cops know who does it (cousins and such) but they just turn like they do not see.......sad

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know