Off Topic - Sorry

Travel discussion for St. John
HughA

Off Topic - Sorry

Post by HughA »

After several wonderful vacations to St. John we decided to try Eleuthera this year. We have been unable to find a forum as informative as this one. Does anyone know of one? It's so odd to be going someplace new where you don't know anything about what's available.
Thank you,
Susan
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Hi Susan!

We went to Eleuthera 2 years ago -- where are you staying?

I didn't find an Eleuthera forum that was similar to this one, but I got some info on Fodor's & Frommer's message boards.

I'd also *really* recommend picking up a copy of 'The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera', as many of the best beaches in Eleuthera are really hard to find (I'm talking overgrown dirt paths that don't look like you should be walking them, much less driving them!! ;) But it's all worth it when you come out of the 'bush' onto a practically (and sometimes totally) deserted beach that looks like something out of a movie!)
HughA

Post by HughA »

We have indeed ordered 'The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera', so glad to hear from you that it is a good investment. We have rented a house called Oceanaire. We have read some about the lack of grocery stores. Can you comment. Any suggestions for eating out would be greatly appreciated. Where did you stay? What was your favorite Francis Bay type beach. Do you know if there is any store where we could buy beach umbrellas?
Sorry to bombard you with questions. I will try the Fodors and Frommers boards. Thanks again.
Susan
lark22

Post by lark22 »

We stayed at a small resort, so I can't report on the grocery situation or on beach umbrellas...this was before we were bitten by the villa bug! In general, Eleuthera is much more rustic than St. John...it has a toally different feel. I would recommend renting a rugged or new-ish car, as our car was hair-raisingly worn out. It got us where we needed to be, but I would have felt better about having something a bit hardier.

As for beaches, we loved Ben Bay the most -- it's up near the northern tip of the island, and it's just beautiful...

Here's the "road" to Ben Bay (see what I'm talking about?)

Gaulding Cay is also gorgeous (but VERY shallow....like a giant wading pool!) You really can walk out to the little island at low tide.

While we were walking on Gaulding Cay beach one afternoon, there were only two other people on the beach. As we passed them, we realized that it was Lenny Kravitz and a friend! :o

This is the one main road, the 'highway':
mia

Post by mia »

Here's a forum....though not as informative as this one...you may have seen it already.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1 ... hamas.html
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
HughA

Post by HughA »

Thank you so much for the photos. You're right, I now understand the need for the book but both of those beaches are exactly what we are looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them.
Susan
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Eleuthera is a much harder island to figure out than St. John. I am an over planner and I had trouble planning anything for a trip there. A few tips that might be useful -

1) Beaches aren't as easy to find. I expected to be able to see them from the road or at least see signs. No such luck. Get a map. They are down side roads that aren't really marked. It can be a little frustrating.

2) Get a map and find Ten Bay Beach - one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on to date. Don't miss it.

3) Drive over and spend a day in Harbor Island. Rent a golf cart for the day and visit the cafes and pink sand beaches. You'll be glad you did.

Have fun!