CA ferry cancelled until further notice (again)

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

CA ferry cancelled until further notice (again)

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would pass this on again - sorry :(

I went over to STT today and caught the Red Hook ferry and noticed that there is a sign in the window stating the above - against my better judgement (I really do know better :lol: ) I asked how long it may be down and was just given a shrug of the shoulders, so I am unsure at this time if is now in the "low season" mode or if there is a problem with the ferry itself.

Pia
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

TY for letting us know...we were going to ask about it later in the week as it got closer to time for us to leave...:)
[/url]
tarheelgirl

Post by tarheelgirl »

Thanks Pia! We'll be needing that ferry next Sat..can ya put a rush order on whatever it is? :roll:
Pia

Post by Pia »

I'll try :)

Pia
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

What do you think is the reason for the shut down???
Lack of use and no profit??? I can't think of another reason.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

When we were there they told us that the big ferry that normally goes to CA was broken, and they were running a boat that holds 49 passengers instead. Then, when we were at Argonauta, we saw that the Westin was not running their usual ferry, but instead was using the same ferry we had taken to CA a few days prior to meet up with my folks. So, maybe the big boat is broken, the Westin boat is broken, and the little boat that was going to CA is being used by the Westin for their guests until their private ferry is fixed? Just a guess.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

They have been having some mechanical difficulties. Everytime they do this they are in violation of their franchise agreement. Doesn't seem to phase them!
RL 8)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

When we were trying to go from CA to STJ on 5/19 in the AM, the large blue ferry came in and then left empty. The crew said they were taking her to drydock. About 15 minutes later the small, orange "speed" boat showed up and took us over. It was fast and wet. We made the trip in about 20 minutes. That may have been the start of this problem.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Captain Scott

Post by Captain Scott »

Thanks, we're 3 days from heading back to STJ and had been planning on taking the CA ferry this time around.
"If your attitude is appaling there is a latitude calling"
bj

Post by bj »

Peace,
bj