t-shirt question

Travel discussion for St. John
Bollicine

t-shirt question

Post by Bollicine »

why are so many people wearing a t-shirt at beach or even while taking a bath?
I know it's a dumb question, but I can't see the why.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

By taking a bath, you mean going into the water at the beach, right?
Dr. Curly

Post by Dr. Curly »

The sun is very intense, so t-shirts are worn to prevent excessive sunburn, even while in the water.
savvy

Post by savvy »

We usually wear t-shirts while snorkeling because we tend to get carried away, stay in the water too long, and forget about reapplying sunscreen. The backs of your legs are also exposed more during snorkeling than they would typically be - so remember to reapply often to that tender location. Otherwise sitting or even putting on clothing is quite a challenge. At dive shops you can buy dive shirts with SPF, short or long sleeved but a t-shirt usually does the trick.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Im so glad you brought that up...my son and I are "ultra white" so I will be sure to bring a t shirt on our snorkeling adventures and to drag him out of the water to spray on some more sunscreen!
cat

Post by cat »

I take care of that by tanning before we leave for at least a month. By the time we get there all I need is sunscreen. The waterproof, sweatproof kind is best! It would drive me crazy to have a shirt on while I am in the water!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'm very sun sensitive and with the combination of a rash guard with SPF 50, and Banana Boat Surf sunscreen, I didn't get sunburned at all (except for the very bottom edge of my buns - I didn't think about my swimsuit riding up while I was snorkeling! - ha ha!)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We plan on bringing T Shirts as well
[/url]
Bollicine

sunscreen

Post by Bollicine »

wearing a good sunscreen isn't enough?
I mean 20 or similar?
I'm quite light skinnes, but I don't usually get burned like that.
:oops:
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I am light skinned too and 20 SPF sunscreen just wouldn't cut it in the tropical sun. We always take 50SPF and apply it often. I don't wear a shirt though and rarely get a burn, though, like I said, I'm vigilant about reapplying often.
Jennifer

CariBert

Re: sunscreen

Post by CariBert »

Bollicine wrote:wearing a good sunscreen isn't enough?
I mean 20 or similar?
I'm quite light skinnes, but I don't usually get burned like that.
:oops:
I am the reason they invented SPF-50. And that still is barely enough. The tropical sun is more intense, as is the case anywhere near the Equator. So if you are fair complextioned, as I am, a good sun screen applied often and a t-shirt or (in my case a rash guard) worn while snorkeling or just swimming is a very good idea. I even invested in a Scuba-Do-Rag this time. My pink hair will be protected!!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!