Trip Report 10th Anniversary Trip Jan 2-9

Travel discussion for St. John
MadCityMom

Trip Report 10th Anniversary Trip Jan 2-9

Post by MadCityMom »

January 2-9, 2016

We had a group of 8 to St John to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (we were married on St Thomas but fell in love with St John on a daytrip two days after the wedding). My husband and I, my husband’s two older kids (25 and 22), our two younger girls (8 and 5), Swedish au pair (22) and family friend/babysitter (27). Three of them newbies. We rented Caribbean Palm Villa overlooking Fish Bay. The villa is about 1 year old and it is gorgeous. Three king masters all with ensuite outdoor showers. It has a gorgeous chef’s kitchen. Expansive veranda with amazing sunrise views. Great location with easy driveway.
12540601_1101999556499281_8802010882234074317_n.jpg
We rented two new Jeeps from Amalie on St Thomas. I would definitely do this again. Only having to load the luggage once was nice! Since we had such a large group and 2 Jeeps I got to drive this time. I was nervous but got the hang of it right away!

We provisioned from Sam and Jack’s. It was good but I recall it being better in the past. We were all hungry so it was nice to have when we arrived. I also had shipped two flat rate boxes and Denise, our villa owner, was kind enough to pick them up from Connections. We also brought a polar bear backpack with frozen jumbo shrimp, whole tenderloin, cheese, sausage, chicken breasts and ham. We are getting this down to a science.

Sunday morning we grabbed sandwiches from Sam & Jack’s, snorkel gear from Low Key then we went to Hawksnest. Always our first stop on St John.
12507514_1099540093411894_2414337686803605085_n.jpg
We planned on two beaches but just couldn’t bring ourselves to leave. It was gorgeous as always. We're not used to the crowds though. My 5 yr old daughter tried snorkeling for the first time and she rocked it. Awesome experience snorkeling holding hands with my 5 and 8 yr old daughters!! Epic moment! They were two little fish! Back to lounge on the beach, then the skies turned dark and we weren’t quite fast enough in grabbing our stuff before it starting to downpour. Everyone huddled under the shelters until the rain slowed. We piled in the Jeeps, parked at Slim man’s and hit the Beach Bar. The rain had stopped and we enjoyed a nice happy hour of Painkillers, bushwackers, some nachos and grilled fish sandwiches, tacos etc. The kids loved climbing the tree!

Monday we again ordered sandwiches from Sam & Jacks then ventured to Trunk. We got a great spot on the far right side where we had visited on our honeymoon 10 years prior and when our love affair with St John began. It was a gorgeous day! Back to the villa and then Extra Virgin for my husband and I to celebrate our anniversary. We had a great taxi driver (Kevin who we used all week!) Met some lovely couples on our taxi ride to town. Had cocktails first (Jenna) who turned out to be our first mate on our BVI trip the next day, then dinner which was amazing. Calamari and fresh made ricotta appetizers, spinach goat cheese beet salad, crab and shrimp pappardelle and the short rib. Everything was fabulous. Huge portions. After dinner stopped at Long Board for a drink.

Tuesday we booked a BVI day with Born to Rhumb. It was AMAZING! Captain Shane had just sold to Capt Ben (both were on board) and Jenna our bartender from the previous night was our first mate. We checked in at Tortola, then stopped at the Indians for an incredible snorkel. Jenna was a fabulous tour guide. Again the kids did great snorkeling. We then headed over to Norman Island for a snorkel at the Aquarium where Jenna found an octopus. We called in orders at the Pirates Bite. Norman Island is so stunningly beautiful.

The food was great and the people so friendly. Awesome roti. Then off to the Willy T for a quick drink (shotski for the 4 in their 20s) and jump off for four of us from the top and the two little ones off the bottom. Then we made our way to Sandy Spit. We got off for some quick pictures then made our way to White Bay. Soggy then One Love. We always have to sign our names on the One Love bar.

Back to Cruz Bay, then dinner at Long Board. It was very good. We had the ceviche and some chips, salsa, guac. I had the Korean bowl was delish. Later that night the 20 somethings had Kevin take them back downtown for some live music at the Beach Bar. He’s great. He stopped and picked them some fresh bay leaves which made for great tea during the week. He even called last week to see if we needed a ride but sadly we were already home.

Wednesday we made a big breakfast and with the prior day’s festivities we were a little late getting moving. We did a quick hike up Peace Hill.
10264722_1100868743279029_7074764566892390803_n.jpg
All of the parking spots along the north shore were taken by 10! After striking out on the North Shore we decided to head over to Salt Pond. We hadn’t been there before. It was a nice treat. Something for everyone. We snorkeled off to the right (I felt the current was stronger and it was a little tougher getting back). Then we hiked over to Drunk Bay. What a contrast of the crashing waves of the Atlantic. We all made figurines with the coral rocks. Super cool!
12508864_1100868443279059_393884569048825474_n.jpg
After enjoying a little more time at Salt Pond we stopped at Tourist Trap for a late lunch. BBQ nachos, lobster rolls and fish tacos. The food here is so good. And Mary was a delight and Larry too! We will miss this place.

Back to the villa for some chill time. Husband went to Starfish for some Josephine’s greens (LOVE these – now I know what everyone is raving about) and other fixings to make with the jumbo shrimp we brought along in our Polar Bear. Grilled with garlic –fantastic!

Thursday – We had been promising the kids we would go to Cinammon and got up early enough to get a spot except we got there and there were high swells so we couldn’t go on the beach. Boo. We did take a look in the little museum which we hadn’t been in before and met some fellow Wisconsinites working there from Beloit College. They were digging for a new sign and make sure there weren’t any artifacts there the new sign was going in. Pretty cool. Heard all the north shore beaches would have a high surf. Made a quick stop at Gibney for a look and some pictures, then back to the villa for a villa gravity/shopping day.
12096447_1101999543165949_397905070491001488_n.jpg
Pool time for the young kids while half the group went to Mongoose Junction for shopping. Then we took the kids to ACC to pet the cats and two adorable puppies and then to Mongoose for ice cream. Later on hubby took his two older kids back up to Peace Hill where my stepdaughter filmed my stepson making a music video. Can’t wait to see it!!

Thursday night we had Mathayom Private Chefs/St John Catering and Chef Nils cook dinner for us. It was an incredible meal. Everything was delicious. We had Blackened Mahi with tropical salsa, Josephine’s greens with goat cheese and a papaya seed vinaigrette, candied carrots with toasted pecans, bistro roasted vegetables, heirloom grains, sweet potato gratin and key lime tarts for dessert. Homemade pizzas for the kids with fresh baked cookies, whipped cream and raspberry sauce. It was seriously one of the best meals we have had. Chef Nils was a delight. We thoroughly enjoyed it and had enough leftovers for the next night. Then Kevin took the 20s downtown for a last night on the town.

Friday was our last beach day. :( We ordered sandwiches from the North Shore Deli. Swung in to pick them up and out the door. We were in search of turtles so we picked Maho! We hadn’t spent much time at Maho before and I’m so glad we did. What a delight! From the diving pelicans to the sting rays, turtles and little sharks, it was incredible. We saw a couple giant sea turtles. One turtle had three little nurse sharks riding its back! I’ve never seen anything like it. Maho has definitely been elevated on the list of favorite beaches!!! Then American Airlines called and they were looking for volunteers to move flights and offered us $2000 to move the flight for 4 of us the next day to another one leaving ½ hr earlier and arriving in Chicago ½ hr earlier. YES, I’ll take that deal! THANK YOU AMERICAN AIRLINES!! Ha ha turned out our original flight got delayed 2 hrs in Charlotte.

Once last stop for happy hour at the Beach Bar and some shopping at St John Spice and a few other shops. Back to the villa where hubby grilled a whole tenderloin we had brought and we had all the delicious leftovers from the night before.

Saturday we packed up. So sad to leave. We filled up the Jeeps with gas (should have done on STT since they weren’t still full when we returned them – lesson learned) and got on the car ferry at 9am. One of us had an earlier flight so dropped one at the airport and then did a little shopping in Charlotte Amalie. Stopped at Gladys’ café. They are such lovely people! Got some breakfast in the cool air conditioning. Time to head to the airport and return the Jeeps.

Three of the 20s group had later (5:30 pm) flights so we dropped them at the Emerald Beach Resort on airport road. This was a great way for them to kill time on a nice beach and to enjoy a couple last tropical beverages. We met the Amalie car folks at the airport (would definitely use them again!) and got a porter and eventually made it through customs. American Airlines only had 3 of the six kiosks working and it was a bit of a zoo in the heat but finally got through. Airport was packed – hard to even find a seat. Got delayed an hour in Miami but finally made it back to cold and snowy Chicago by about 9.

Overall it was an incredible trip with some priceless family time exploring the beautiful Virgin Islands. I will always be moved by the beauty of the untouched beaches of St John and so happy to share it with our family. I was very happy that the 3 newbies totally “got it”. Thanks to American Airlines we are thinking there might be a second trip for hubby and I and the young kids in 2016!! Maybe June…
liamsaunt

Re: Trip Report 10th Anniversary Trip Jan 2-9

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for the report and lovely pictures. I am glad you enjoyed your vacation.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

Thanks liamsaunt! Means a lot coming from you. Yours are some of the best! :D
ShaSha

Post by ShaSha »

I enjoyed your trip report and pictures!! So happy that you all had such a wonderful family time!!! You really did a lot for a week and I loved hearing about your meals and where you ate at!! You did luck out on your $2000 tickets so get to planning your next trip back!!!