Verizon and the BVI towers

Travel discussion for St. John
DrToons

Verizon and the BVI towers

Post by DrToons »

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to know if you are connected to a BVI tower with your phone or hot spot? We have Verizon phones and a Verizon hot spot and we're staying at Great Turtle near Coral Bay.

We probably won't need to use our phones much and may pick up an AT&T prepaid for more dependable coverage. There is WiFi at the villa, so this may all be moot. I am on call for work 365/24/7 (yes, even on vacation although they usually don't call much while I'm gone) so my main concern is in being able to get calls from VA without going through BVI towers.

Thanks!
star2515

Re: Verizon and the BVI towers

Post by star2515 »

I have Verizon and the past 2 trips (last yr and earlier this yr) I was roaming pretty much any time I had a signal on STJ. I have an iphone and mine says roaming in the upper left hand corner. Times previous, when I was in Cruz Bay and even Caneel/North Shore area I was safe.....its now pretty much the whole island I roam. My DH has AT&T so I use his when needed, he gets A LOT better service and roams less.
RockyDockWI

Post by RockyDockWI »

My Verizon Mi-Fi quit working in Puerto Rico and in the USVI in November 2012 when Verizon sold out to the local Puerto Rico Telehone Company (CLARO). So, unless you have some kind of International billing plan, you won't even receive a signal on your Verizon Hot Spot. Calls on your Verizon smart phone, on a nationwide plan, will cost you $1.99 per minute, incoming & outgoing. However, texting is covered under your nationwide plan as long as you don't include photos.

Rocky Dock
Water Island
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

At the top left of your phone it will say LIME or DIGICEL. You should purchase a long distance text/call option while on the island. They usually are not expensive. I had ATT when I lived there.